PDA

View Full Version : Skinner, 6/14

Baja1ab
06-14-2015, 10:12 PM
After having my boat hit twice at the launch on the last weekend trip to Perris (the "stupid" seems to be at maximum volume there lately) I decided I should devote some time to get to know Skinner better. In the past I'd have to drive past Perris and DVL to get to Skinner so it never got much love from me but w DVL out and Perris, well, you know, the lack of recreational vessels at Skinner makes it awfully appealing.

The little dude and I hit it this morning at 6:30. We were just there about 3 weeks ago and was surprised to see the water down enough to put about half or more of the tullies completely out of the water.

Anyway, it was a grind but we managed some dinks and one decent one - all had on a drop shot set up (w the exception of one on a t-rig punching set up). Did I mention it was a grind? And friggin HOT. We worked for every fish we got. They just weren't in the mood. I suppose the level change has them pushed off their comfy zones.

All said, any day on the water w my son beats just about everything else. We'll be back at 'em many more times this year.

On a side note I have to mention the BEASTLY LMB we saw. First thing in the am we were in the back of a cove, which half was pretty much inaccessible due to low water matted vegetation. This thing busted right behind us and I though for sure it was ducks playing grab ***** because the splash was HUGE and in a long run along the water like two ducks chasing. I had a frog tied on so I gave her some air time to no avail. As we were fishing our way out of the cove I saw this thing from about 25-30ft - the (green) complete upper half of it out of the water and on top of the mat chasing something right through the vegetation. It was on a mission. It had to be double digits. Made my heart skip a beat (or five). Needless to say I stopped and tossed Mr Froggy a many more times for bust but damn, that really got me going first thing in the morning.

- Joe

darknight63
06-16-2015, 03:26 AM
My friend Chuck and I were there last week on Wednesday, and it was a grind as you said we did manage to get 4 smaller ones, all about 2 pounds but I did manage to get this pig in a cove near the dam...he put up a fight, caught on a drop shot with a robo worm 6 inch Morning dawn....46477

P.A.W.
06-16-2015, 05:35 PM
First of all, Bravo Baja1ab for getting another kid interested in fishing and just spending time with your boy. We also need more folks posting reports, so thanks for that as well. It has been a grind out there indeed. Everyone I spoke to today said the same thing. I got 2 LMB today myself. The biggest was around 6 pounds on a field mouse. Thing is they were busting all over. I also got my first u-rig striper in a couple months. They've been hitting topwaters and jerkbaits lately. Maybe a change of pattern is upon us?

gogreeenz4
06-17-2015, 08:35 AM
46486I Heard Top Water was Decent Sunday...............

P.A.W.
06-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Oink! Oink!