PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day Weekend - where to fish, hike and camp?

Scottiem1
06-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Hi all -

Hoping to tap into the experience of all on here to make the most of Labor Day :Cool:

Have a mate flying into LA for a week over the weekend. I have the Friday + Monday off... We had all plans to head to Yosemite, do the sight seeing thing. Trouble is, we could only book a campsite for the Friday night and from what I'm reading, don't really want to fight the crowds in the park over the other days. Now, I'm thinking we leave Yosemite for somewhere else in the same region on the Saturday afternoon, possibly the eastern side? We're hoping to fish a few different creeks, do a scenic day hike and camp with as much tranquility as possible over Labor Day.

If anyone could point me in the right direction of these things it would be much appreciated. I spent a weekend at Mammoth a few months back and fell in love with place - esp the Upper Owens. Thinking further north there could be a good place to explore?

Many thanks in advance,
Scottie

Viejo
06-14-2015, 07:00 AM
Try the Saddlebag lake area. Close to Yosemite. There are dozens of lakes and streams within a day's walk and most have excellent fishing for trout. There are several drive in campgrounds in the area. Bridgeport also has a number of campgrounds...lakes and streams, including the East Walker with trophy size trout. Not sure how tranquil Labor Day weekend is anywhere in CA....

Scottiem1
06-15-2015, 06:11 PM
My thanks for the response VieJo :Cool:

Saddlebag lake and the 20 Lakes Basin looks like a great area to explore and fish along the way. Have you fished it recently?

Cheers
S

billy b
06-15-2015, 07:09 PM
June Lake Loop is a great place to camp ... Silver lake especially nice ... Carson Peak in for a high class meal ... or Tiger Bar for a fun meal ... Gull Lake is probably the best stocked.

What about hiking back to Parker Lake or Walker Lake trailway near Grant Lake?

Scottiem1
07-22-2015, 09:56 PM
Thanks for your input Billy. Just returned from a week away with the mrs. Stayed at Oh Ridge, great campground, tho privacy was lacking at our site. Didn't wet a line there, but loved it all the same.

teejay
07-24-2015, 03:39 PM
The Eastern Sierra has a lot of options. My family stayed at the East Fork campground on Rock Creek during a Labor Day weekend a few years back and had a great time. We fished the lower creek and Rock Creek Lake for stocker rainbows, and did a day hike into the Little Lakes Valley for some wild brook trout.