PDA

View Full Version : Detailed June 7th report

cutbait
06-08-2015, 08:14 AM
Trailblazer and I have been fishing the duct and even the salt and have avoided Pyramid and Castaic, mostly because the bite is better at the duct and salt.

Anyway, my buddy from WON needed some info about what's up with the lakes conditions so I called TB and FWD the other two Bako Boys for assistance. TB had plans so FWD and I set out for a quick early morning session before the ski's showed up.

Got on the water at 6 am. No real line, water was 69 and immediately saw an algae bloom. Didn't mark fish in the channel and had no luck so I made the move to cutbait point and the island where I found a few quick takers.

Continued to explore the whole lake looking for schools and figure out what's up.

Didn't find a lot of activity throughout the lake, weeds are showing up but not bad. Water temps peaked at 72 before we left. Lake lice was bad by 10 am we left shortly after. I've got a feeling Pyramid will be horrible this summer with lake lice, especially on the weekends.

With DVL closed, Castaic a mud puddle, piru too.. Pyramid is the only lake they can run full throttle lap after lap..

Lots of 8 inch dinks. I bet if you went out and fished bait you could catch 100 of em. I'm going to give it a few more weeks as the bite is just fair and with better options available, we will be hitting those.

The algae bloom is thick near bear trap. Moon was 3/4 and slightly past overhead.

Conditions were good, spawn is over. Stripers are starting to hunt, got my report in for the WON..

Good trip! Thanks for going Dave!

dk4885
06-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Great report. I agree Aqueduct been good and Bigger fish. That lakes going to be a zoo.

cutbait
06-08-2015, 11:39 AM
TB and I aren't sure we will fish it at all on weekends this summer.

It will be unfishable after 9 am

shinbob
06-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info, very useful.

I noticed on my weekday trip last week that the lice was thicker than normal even for a non-weekend. Including one big, loud-as-hell Fountain-style boat that was making high-speed laps around the lake, across all the points. When the Sheriff's boat came out, I thought he would get a talking-to, but nope.

And maybe it's just my poor fishing skills, but the LMB bite seems to be way off from previous years. I'm using the same tactics, rigs, etc... but getting only a fraction of the bite as in years past. I worked really hard for just a few dinks. By the time I got bored and switched to the stripers, it was already past noon and I wasn't getting any love there, either. Did meter some schools around the skillet, and that stretch between brazos and the channel, but could't get them to bite.

Bassfan
06-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the report CB. This has been an odd year compared to the last couple and with the heavy presence of lice its even harder.
Only tried to go to Pyramid once in the last 5 or 6 weeks and for some reason they didn't open the gate at 6 on a Wednesday so after sitting in a line of frustrated fishermen until after 7 I gave up and went to Castaic where the fishing was not very good. The skiers are showing up there an hour after the open.
Hopefully the shad will come up enough to give some boil action this year.

cutbait
06-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Yeah... I hope they do.. I'm just not liking the weekend crowds this summer

flyhigh123
06-08-2015, 03:15 PM
i haven't striper fished in a while, but went to the mid about 2 weeks ago. Super slow bite, and by the time i found them, it was too late.

I saw them stacked heavy and clustered in bear trap area... most around 40-60 feet. Will probably make it out once the bite heats up.

Been spending all my time fixing up my skipjack getting it ready for tuna season!

fishinone
06-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the report Cutbait.

The lice at Pyramid are the worst! The Sherrifs run around taking their side and it makes it worse.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to use downriggers just to keep the rigs away from the lake lice.

cutbait
06-08-2015, 04:02 PM
i haven't striper fished in a while, but went to the mid about 2 weeks ago. Super slow bite, and by the time i found them, it was too late.

I saw them stacked heavy and clustered in bear trap area... most around 40-60 feet. Will probably make it out once the bite heats up.

Been spending all my time fixing up my skipjack getting it ready for tuna season!

Right on!

Tuna > stripers all day long

It's not wide open and limits can be had but opportunities are better elsewhere right now.

We will be back for sure though

cutbait
06-08-2015, 04:03 PM

The lice at Pyramid are the worst! The Sherrifs run around taking their side and it makes it worse.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to use downriggers just to keep the rigs away from the lake lice.

You know the sheriff's didn't make one pass before we left at 11:15

DarkShadow
06-08-2015, 04:10 PM
You know the sheriff's didn't make one pass before we left at 11:15

They have Sheriffs at Pyramid?!

Considering it looks like Mad Max - Fury Road on the water out there, I'm surprised the Sheriff even patrols.

I stopped by The Sheriff Shack once asking them what the law was with watercraft and how many feet they were supposed to be from the shoreline. They asked me to submit the question in writing and went back to patrolling their coffee.

cutbait
06-08-2015, 04:27 PM
They have Sheriffs at Pyramid?!

Considering it looks like Mad Max - Fury Road on the water out there, I'm surprised the Sheriff even patrols.

I stopped by The Sheriff Shack once asking them what the law was with watercraft and how many feet they were supposed to be from the shoreline. They asked me to submit the question in writing and went back to patrolling their coffee.

Lol.

Last time I went I was launching my boat and one of the sheriff's walked up to my truck (window open) asked if it was my boat.

I said yes

He said my CF numbers need to be 3 inch not the 2 inch I have and I need to change it before I come back.

I said ok and done deal. I continued to back up and he looked at me with amazement and continued to walk as I reversed.

He said, do you a throwable

I said yup, got two

He said life jackets for the entire party.

Keep in mind I'm still reversing.

I said yes.

He said registration

As I'm looking in the mirror the whole discussion I said yes.

He then asks if he was distracting me .

I said nope.

Because I didn't grovel and thank him for giving me a pass on the CF numbers he continued with a rather overly investigative line of questions that served no other purpose than to make me aware of who is the boss and maybe pay more attention to him.

He eventually walked away with no kind words of have a good day or pleasantries you normally hear from law enforcement when you have a dealing with them

DarkShadow
06-08-2015, 04:44 PM
He eventually walked away with no kind words of have a good day or pleasantries you normally hear from law enforcement when you have a dealing with them

Sounds like the Pyramid Lake Sheriffs I know.

Do they get promoted to these positions after doing a great job on the streets of unincorporated LA?

Most of these guys I wouldn't count on to be able to swim 50 feet to save someone who was drowning on the lake, although they did look quite buoyant.

The best?

Them yelling at me because they said I couldn't fish off the rocks near the marina.

"You can't fish off the rocks!!!"

"Yeah I can."

"OH...ok."

The stripers boiling yet? I lurk these forums for this info.

cutbait
06-08-2015, 05:00 PM
Not yet but it won't be long

trail blazer
06-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Now that's a report,, WTG brother,,sorry I couldn't make it

T B

fishinone
06-08-2015, 05:51 PM
I was there one day last year and there was a group of drunks, who probably couldn't get their boat on the trailer sober, making a complete mess of loading it drunk. One was mad and braced me for looking at them. I just let that go but when he started threatening the ladies standing on the dock watching, I spoke to the Sheriff's Deputy, who was standing on the ramp, about them threatening the ladies.

Well, that brave little Deputy said he had "more important things to do!". I asked what and he said he had to direct traffic on the ramp.

I guess that I don't need to say that I was less than impressed with the Deputy Sheriff!

I'm sure that he would have arrested me if I had taken the guy up on his offer, because I'm a peaceful citizen, safe to approach!

trail blazer
06-08-2015, 06:18 PM
I got spool,d by a sheriff year before last,,,

he was going at least 40mph,,lol my reel was SCREAMING:EyePop:

T/B

cutbait
06-08-2015, 08:07 PM
After reading this post again I think something was lost in the shuffle.

We did catch 15 or so fish. Was probably the hardest I had to work for 15 by 11 am but we made it happen.

Here's a short clip. Trying not to bloviate too much nowadays so I'm going to keep them quick

https://youtu.be/Tj4OLcbZAe0

DMS
06-08-2015, 09:23 PM

And the sheriff's propeller during those license checks.

fishinone
06-10-2015, 09:59 AM
After reading this post again I think something was lost in the shuffle.

We did catch 15 or so fish. Was probably the hardest I had to work for 15 by 11 am but we made it happen.

Here's a short clip. Trying not to bloviate too much nowadays so I'm going to keep them quick

https://youtu.be/Tj4OLcbZAe0

If you downsize your lures, you'll get limits!

And the sheriff's propeller during those license checks.

Yea, no doubt!

I think they are volunteers or something. They seem like they have something to prove.