PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Dam Newbie

Fishnfun
06-07-2015, 02:07 PM
It was red HOT out there at the Dam this morning. Unfortunately, I'm talking about the weather and not the fishing. This is my first time at the dam and I took all the information I've been getting and fished from 6:30am - 11am. I tried to copy and do everything just like dkinla's dad as shown in all his pictures and videos. Unfortunately, I could not produce the same results. I tried cut sardines, one lugworm on a hook, two lug worms on a hook, one nightcrawler on a hook, and a combo lugworm/crawler on a hook. I didn't catch any fish and did not see anyone else catch any fish. The only catch I saw was some guy hooked and brought in a bird. Best thing about the trip is that I stopped in at Gallions on the way home and picked up a large italian cold cut sandwich. After the drive home and a quick shower, that sandwich tasted great with some chips and a ice cold soda. As for the fishing, it's back to the drawing board :Smile:

dpaulus9
06-07-2015, 03:57 PM
dont sound like you did anything wrong. fish just wasnt biting. try and use florocarbon as a leader. longer the better.

catfishkid1
06-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Been there, done that!! I know the feeling..........but it's not a defeat, it's a chance for redemption.

dkinla
06-08-2015, 08:25 PM
It was red HOT out there at the Dam this morning. Unfortunately, I'm talking about the weather and not the fishing. This is my first time at the dam and I took all the information I've been getting and fished from 6:30am - 11am. I tried to copy and do everything just like dkinla's dad as shown in all his pictures and videos. Unfortunately, I could not produce the same results. I tried cut sardines, one lugworm on a hook, two lug worms on a hook, one nightcrawler on a hook, and a combo lugworm/crawler on a hook. I didn't catch any fish and did not see anyone else catch any fish. The only catch I saw was some guy hooked and brought in a bird. Best thing about the trip is that I stopped in at Gallions on the way home and picked up a large italian cold cut sandwich. After the drive home and a quick shower, that sandwich tasted great with some chips and a ice cold soda. As for the fishing, it's back to the drawing board :Smile:

hey don't feel too bad... maybe it was a bad day for everyone since you didn't see anyone else catch one except for a bird/duck!

the only bait you were missing was bloodworms... hmmm... maybe that might've helped... try them next time too!

I think I skunked my first several times out too a while back when I was first starting out.. and asked lots of questions on this forum too...
it took a while... but after a lot of trial and error (mostly error)... I feel pretty confident that I can at least catch 1 or at least a get a bite or two everytime I go... but I'm sure a skunk or two is heading my way again sometime soon if I ever get out there again!

radray
06-17-2015, 09:58 PM
That's fishing for you fishnfun. You can do everything right and still not catch fish. Just go out and have fun my friend. You will catch them eventually.

Raymond