PDA

View Full Version : Surf shark fishing tips

TimetoFish
06-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Whatsup guys i dont fish saltwater often but i love it and im hoping to hit the beach soon. Im picking up a new 12-13ft surf spinning rod and not sure what reel i should throw on there, but im trying to keep it somewhat cheap. Ive yet to catch a shark so thats what im aiming for and hoping someone with some experience can help a rookie out! I really have no clue on how i should be rigging it all up. Any advice is appreciated!

PokerFish
06-06-2015, 01:07 AM
What kind of shark are you talking about? Where are you located?

TimetoFish
06-06-2015, 10:30 AM
I live in the Antelope Valley so its a little drive to any beach, but itd be badass to catch a GWS. Anything really ive only caught string rays, bat rays, sand sharks and perch. No clue on how to rig up anything that has teeth.

bones
06-06-2015, 07:36 PM
First of all forget about a GWS. Occasionally juvenile's have been caught but you must keep in mind they are protected by federal law. From this point forward I would never mention that you are targeting a GWS again. It's kinda like saying you are going to hunt an eagle or fish for garibaldi.

There are other big creatures that can be caught from the sand like Seven Gill sharks, Leopard sharks, Soup Fin sharks and big bat rays that pull very hard and can weigh easily up to 100 lbs. All of these species can also be very dangerous to a novice angler. Most are night feeders so the majority of anglers target them at sunset and into the dark which adds an element of danger as well.

You say you are trying to keep it kinda cheap and although everyone has a particular budget to stick to I would suggest you save for a little longer and buy a rod that will not disappoint you. Stay away from the walmart,sport chalet type cheapo rods that are 30 or 40 dollars for sure. Take a look at the Daiwa Emcast surf rods for example. You can find a decent rod for about 80 to 100 dollars. As far as a spinning reel to match with your spinning rod I would go with the good old shimano baitrunner series which allows you to put it in freespool with a separate drag for the freespool setting. Then one turn of the handle engages the reel itself. They are a dependable reel for the surf as far as a spinning setup is concerned. Most tackle shops stock them so stop by and take a look at what series might be best to match to your rod.Most guys hunting big game from the surf with a spinning setup use spectra because of it's castability and extra strength with being able to ramp up in test strength with spool capacity. Then they attach what is called a shock leader that is usually 80 to 100lb test mono. You dont want to grab spectra because you can be cut very easy with big game. A shock leader can be grabbed carefully and you can drag your catch up on the sand. A glove to grab the line is always a good idea. Bigger sharks are better off tail roped. Steel leaders and 8/0 circle hooks are pretty much standard for sharks with sharp teeth but some guys don't bother when they are using circle hooks. With a circle hook you don't swing to set the hook but rather let the fish run and apply steady pressure until the hook sets itself in the corner of the mouth. Hence...no gut hooking and a much easier hook removal. There are a ton of articles on the internet. Do your research and good luck

A few links..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=daiwa+emcast+spinning+surf+rod&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdaiwa+emc ast+surf+spinning+rod.TRS0&_nkw=daiwa+emcast+surf+spinning+rod&_sacat=0

http://www.stripers247.com/shock-leader-knot.php

BTW..

I see you like to fish in the AV aquaduct and AV in general for catfish. A bait runner is the perfect reel for catfishing along with circle hooks as well.

--------<><