PDA

View Full Version : Questions For Overnight Trip

JoshR88
06-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Hi Guys and Gals,
I haven't been on FNN for a while but so far this has been the best fresh water fishing year of my life and now I'm looking to transfer that into the ocean.
I'm planning on hitting a overnight trip this weekend with a couple buddy's, I've saw some of the boats in SoCal are catching some pretty big bluefin so I'd thought it would be perfect time to go.
I have a few questions for anyone to answer. 1st question is I'm planning on bringing 3 poles, I wanted to know what kind of line and what pound test I should use? I'd hate to lose a big bluefin due to not having heavy enough line but I also heard bluefin are line shy? I was thinking 15 pd, 25 pd and 40 pd test? Not sure what brand though and is 40 to light for those big bluefin they're catching?
2nd question, what size hooks should I use? I usually use size 1 mustad hooks when targeting tuna and yellowtail any other size and/or brand I should try?
Last question, I love tossing lures but my back pack of irons are in Texas with most of my fishing gear. What color irons, lures or plastics should I buy? I'm not looking to spend and arm and a leg I just want to know what's working the best.
I appreciate any advice, I'll make sure to posts a report and sorry for all the misspells and run on sentences, I typed this up quick on my phone.
Thanks,
Josh Robinson

jaggerbub
06-03-2015, 11:14 PM
For overnight, take a 20/30/40 outfit. That covers you for whatever is out there within that range. I like to spool up with spectra (i like to use white or red so i can keep track of the line, green is hard for me to see out there... learned that the hard way)... a short topshot of seaguar fluorocarbon and you're golden. My go to knot for spectra to fluorocarbon is Bob sands knot. Most of the time, I'm holding onto my 30 outfit.

Hooks, 2/0 & 3/0 should do it. I like to use owner hooks

Lures, silver and blue tady's / shimano colt snipers or similar for the slide and kelp paddy yellowtails... wouldn't hurt to have a popper ready for boiling fish. I like the yozuri's. Just my 2 cents... Just the basics to get you started.

JoshR88
06-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Thanks jaggerbub! I picked up everything you said to grab. I'll post a report when I get back.

jaggerbub
06-06-2015, 08:52 PM
Got a couple of these guys last season on an overnighter out of h&m landing. All caught on my 30# outfit. (Phenix phd760h /Avet SX Raptor) Good luck when you go. Yes, post up a report when you get back. Should be another great year!

Frequent Flyer
06-08-2015, 03:27 PM
I'd bring at least 2 outfits, with topshots ranging from 25-40. Definitely fish 40 if you get into the bruiser bluefin, but if no one gets picked up (as the bite has been pretty tough) don't switch to 30. That is when you will get picked up by a bruiser fight it for hours and possibly lose it along with the countless hours it took fighting to fish. Be considerate that you're on a sportboat with other customers who want to fish and not watch someone fight a fish for hours. 1/0-3/0 hooks and look for shimano flatfalls as they have picked up a few fish. Good luck out there, I hope you got into them!