PDA

View Full Version : BAKO BOYS, Yellowtail, 100 lb Bluefins, Sav On tackle excitement and the best friends

cutbait
05-31-2015, 09:02 PM
What a weekend! I have to apologize as this report will take quite awhile to read. Way too much fun!

It all started with a call to MikesOcean last week. I had a vacation with the family cancelled due to a death in my wifes family and still had the days off. Mike and I quickly decided to chase yellows on the 1/2 day. I called Trailblazer immediately because when one of us go on a trip we invite the other... ALWAYS.. He didn't bat an eye and said lets go! My son Eddie was down, and a new found buddy from Coalinga named Derrick was all in!!!

We had invited Double A, FishingwithDave, DK4885, Fishbones, and Ron Fishinone. All said they had plans or just not interested in Yellowtails and Tuna. :Rolls Eyes:

With the group of 5 set, the next step was to plan the boat and all. Trailbazer had contacted Webmaster to see if he was interested and Webmaster was 100% down, but in the meantime I took the initiative to book all 5 tickets for the SO CAL on Friday. Sorry Jeff, Trailblazer and I were on two wavelengths.. next time man.. We do appreciate it.

With the drive from Bakersfield for a meager half day not too appealing we talked and decided to jump on an overnighter Friday night for the Bluefin bite turning on.

We wake up and leave Bakersfield by 3 am and arrive at Pierpoint at 3 am. Kind of disappointed Etucker was a no show. MO fished with him on the 1/2 day tues and convinced him to fish Friday with us. Anyway we jump on the So Cal and head to new waters. Apparently Thurs numbers weren't so hot and they were looking for the school.

After a couple hours the Captn decides to head back to the old spots and we found the birds and the boils working. Great boils!! My son Eddie was the first to hookup.. fought him like a champ, the deckhand worked hard to get that fish on the boat. Lots of guys on the boat and ugly, ugly tangles.. anyway I enjoyed every second, I put my rod down and watched.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/PART_1432931421068_20150529_085816_zps7z3ukxun.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/kluna2/media/PART_1432931421068_20150529_085816_zps7z3ukxun.jpg .html)

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/20150529_090141_zpsau4v9f0q.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/kluna2/media/20150529_090141_zpsau4v9f0q.jpg.html)

MO led the charge to get the kid to eat the heart... I'm impressed, he handled it like a champ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3xa6DjH4oo&feature=youtu.be

Just as Eddie had hooked that fish, Derrick of Coalinga hooked up... He fought his Yellow to color and just when it started the death circle the hook pulled... DANG!!

Next set of boils TB and I throw the Iron and both of us get swirled and boiled on multiple times... Just didn't eat... I look down to see Eddie hooked up!!!! ALRIGHT!!! the kids on fire.. I reel in and watch again just as some other guy comes running through the crowd hooked up... ITS MO!!!! Cool beans.. both on a double.

Both of them work their fish and quickly hits the deck. Eddie 2, MO 1, Farmer Derrick, TB and CB toilet flushed...

Couple more boils and MO hooks his second fish... This time he was using his REVO and had a nicer fish. He was only 40 yds from being spooled before the fish finally turned. 30 lbs and the jack pot winner....

Eddie 2, MO 2 {Jackpot}, Farmer Derrick, TB and CB toilet flused by multiple fish

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/PART_1432931446602_20150529_111324_zps4gsncl0x.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/kluna2/media/PART_1432931446602_20150529_111324_zps4gsncl0x.jpg .html)

I'll tell you what kind of friend MikesOcean had, and this is all about Karma... He felt bad we had driven from Bakersfield and the rarity of us being able to chase these things that he actually gave us his two fish. Man, what generosity... He had also lent us some surface Irons and YO Yos... which were given back.... huh Scott?:Wink:

Each one of us was able to bring home one fish.. Awesome, awesome....

1/2 day was over and we all had lunch together before MO was going to take us to Sav ON tackle and get us hooked up for our Bluefin trip...Sav On tackle was great and we have to say we are JEALUOS.. wish we had a quality shop like that here.

We were shooting the bull outside the front door and some fat, out of shape dude walks out with three 10 ft spinning phenix rods. We all thought it was strange. {didn't look like the A typical Phenix customer}... 30 seconds goes by and Sav On staff comes out and asks if we saw a fat *** with 3 rods... "yeah he went that way".... They send an employee to go look for him. Derrick, Scott and I go to follow for assistance and there the guy is in the alley waiting for his getaway ride. Derrick and I were going to watch and try and pick up a plate number but Trailblazer never being one to stand by idle while evil and bad people do their things walked up to the guy and politely told him that the staff was saying he stole those rods.

The guy shook his head and said only "NO"... but his body language was saying "OH ****"... he started to walk away {cant run because he is 400 lbs}.. Trailblazer and us walk behind him trying to talk sense into him. No response so Trailblazer closes the gap and tugs his shirt to turn him and the guy makes a half *** "get away from me swing"... TB snatched the rods and walked away towards me where I got the rods and handed back to an employee.

At that point we were done with the guy but he was so fat, so out of shape that he made it 30 more feet or so and had to lean against the fence. A group of us, employees and customers decided to hold the guy there till the police came. Police showed up and got him... 800 dollars in rods

The guys eyes were rolling back in his head and really looked like it was a heart attack and the Paramedics were called and he went to the hospital before jail I'm sure.

The owner and staff at Sav On were very thankful for the help.. forgive me, I'm bad with names. Great times!!!

So we bid MO adieu and head back to Pierpoint full of adrenaline and hop onto the Toronado for the overnighter.. Hop on the boat, at 9pm asleep at 11.. Slept good, calm seas..

Wake up at 430 to flat seas. Swap stories with the other early risers and as grey light approached we saw the fleet.. OH BOY!!! the Bluefin rumors spread quick.

Took a few hours before our first boil, had one fish landed off of it at around 30 lbs. The rest of the morning the crew was able to scratch out a fish or two per boil. We did see an awesome sight... There was a 4 ft plus Bluefin boiling on the trolling rigs in the wake.. We saw it clear as day... Beautiful.

Boils increased around time to head home at 2 pm.. around 1 pm a couple guys boated a 50 lb and 64 lb Bluefin.. Gorgeous animals

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/20150530_134020_zpssjgizmz4.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/kluna2/media/20150530_134020_zpssjgizmz4.jpg.html)

The boat landed 7 and lost 7...

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/IMG959423_2_zpsdq6dbsao.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/kluna2/media/IMG959423_2_zpsdq6dbsao.jpg.html)

Look at the colors on this fish

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/IMG959421_2_zpsh8facenu.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/kluna2/media/IMG959421_2_zpsh8facenu.jpg.html)

What a blast!!!!

Some things that pop out to me

Watching my son get worked by two 25 lb yellowtail and whoop them back, landing both flawlessly

I have great friends to fish with and talk with through life

A long weekend of fishing where nothing but positive Karma and good things were done for eachother and our friends

Made some great friends on both boats

El Nino is bad to the bone and you So Cal boys best take advantage of it this year and your truly blessed with that Pacific Ocean

My boy hung on his first hardcore fishing trip

MikesOcean is a Yellowtail beast

Trailblazer defeats bad guys

Derrick is the real deal when it comes to dedication, knowledge of fishing and most importantly making it fun while doing it.

There are some fine !@# women that fish those overnighters.. :Cool:

This pic is only missing a handful of my closest fishing buddies

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/IMG959122_2_zpsn4om9mg7.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/kluna2/media/IMG959122_2_zpsn4om9mg7.jpg.html)

Secondary report..... Remember when I said MO gave us those two fish?... Karma paid him back today,,,,, MO took the Silver Bullet out with FishingPuto and landed 6 more Yellows today... He said the charter boats were following him around today... HAHAHAHA...

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/FB_IMG_1433108010790_zpsgew58n1f.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/kluna2/media/FB_IMG_1433108010790_zpsgew58n1f.jpg.html)

Thanks for reading, sorry for such lengths. One of my best weekends fishing ever.. My boy will remember this long after I'm gone and I certainly won't forget it until then.

Thanks MO, TB and Derrick of Coalinga

trail blazer
05-31-2015, 09:16 PM
Thank you my brother!

Great report,,Id fish with this group of guys any time any where,,,,,,,,what a blast!

Derrick,, a stand up guy

M O,, Dude your the best

Eddie,,,w o w,, im so proud for you CONGRATS!

And you CUTBAIT,, Are truly A BROTHER.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/IMG959122_2_zpsn4om9mg7.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/kluna2/media/IMG959122_2_zpsn4om9mg7.jpg.html)

TRAIL BLAZER

Double A
05-31-2015, 09:38 PM
When I heard Bako was invading SoCal, I knew it would be a blast.
this is one of those trips that's gonna haunt me for awhile not being able to make it.
Congrats Eddie, yellowtail slayer!!!
TB, love the way you handled that f'n thief... I hate thieves.
Most would have reached...
for their cell phone :(
Way to take care of business big brother
I'm sure CB kept the group laughing while they were pulling in fish. Lol
You'll get em next time I'm sure.
Looks like it truly is Mikes ocean!!!
Way to slay BOZ!
And, he reaffirmed his true colors. A truly generous, selfless, great friend.
And, you were rewarded today buddy, big time!!!

TUNAVIC
05-31-2015, 10:01 PM
No apologies necessary enjoyed your report and pics,good times great friends,and seeing your son eat the Y/T heart brings back many fond memories,thanks for that!

Cya Tuna Vic

catchingsomefish
05-31-2015, 10:22 PM
Nice report Mike, it is good to see all you guys out together! Day couldn't be complete without a big fat thief, LOL LOL..............Glad you guys were able to make it happen................Dave

Stumpknocker
06-01-2015, 02:55 AM
Great report! That's a lot of terrific memories packed into a few days...nothing beats watching your kid catch quality fish.

dpaulus9
06-01-2015, 06:59 AM
great report. nothing better than sharing the rail with freinds and family

HawgZWylde
06-01-2015, 07:14 AM
No apologies necessary, this is a great report! The kid gets a priceless memory for life, the guys get a great weekend of camaraderie plus some fish, TB gets the bad guy, MO slays, and tucky gets the skunk for bailing out. The line-up pic says it all and will be a great wall hanger!

Great job guys!

TB, too bad you guys couldn't have captured that slow-mo apprehension on film, would've made great FNN fodder. Dude, you're an animal, lol...

cutbait
06-01-2015, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys...

Almost forgot about the 100 lb bluefin...

So the Thunderbird landed one, and claimed to have lost two 200 lbers that broke 65 lb.

We saw a private boat chase a big fish for over an hour and a half. I checked bloodydecks and sure enough t b is guys had three of those hook ups and lost all three.

They all said to small of line, our boats break offs were because the same.

These are 20 lbers guys..

Derrick A2H
06-01-2015, 10:09 AM
Man I had a blast this weekend one that will be hard to beat. Watching CB Jr. Get worked an his eye explode was awesome. Watching my bait slow trolled on the surface into the boil and the wake coming off a surface running yellow to clobber it an pull him all the way to the boat just to pull the hook. It was followed by a loud F^#% sob tantrum. We cant have em all. Glad i got to fish with the Bako Boy crew some undorgettable people. Nicest group ive ever met. Its rare you meet up for a fishing trip with 1 guy youve talked to on the internet and 3 strangers but feel like you fit in like youve been buds for years. Really looking forward to future crime stoppers episodes and fish killin'.

Tight lines guys
Derrick

Mr T-rex
06-01-2015, 10:52 AM
That is what you call a report! nothing better than seeing blood on the deck '
Way to Slay Bako Boys

webmaster
06-01-2015, 10:57 AM
Awesome! :Big Grin:

flyhigh123
06-01-2015, 11:45 AM
awesome! We should run a FNN charter! I run one with friends every year, but it would be ablast getting on a charter in July, August or September. I normally run with the Pride or Voyager(out of SD), fishes up to 20. Last year, almost every trip was limits of YFT and lots of yellows/blues/dodos. Anyone interested?

cutbait
06-01-2015, 12:13 PM
We are absolutely

Would you be willing to set one up?

etucker1959
06-01-2015, 12:34 PM
awesome! We should run a FNN charter! I run one with friends every year, but it would be ablast getting on a charter in July, August or September. I normally run with the Pride or Voyager(out of SD), fishes up to 20. Last year, almost every trip was limits of YFT and lots of yellows/blues/dodos. Anyone interested?
If it's an FNN charter, you could count me in for 2. I personally love the Pride!!!!

cutbait
06-01-2015, 12:42 PM
If it's an FNN charter, you could count me in for 2. I personally love the Pride!!!!

So if the Bako Boys go that means you'll be on another boat

City Dad
06-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Dude... I was walking into SAV ON as they were carting that guy away... That was you guys???

WTG on the first yellow tail.

hoping to get out there with my kids soon.

cutbait
06-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Dude... I was walking into SAV ON as they were carting that guy away... That was you guys???

That was us!... we must of past eachother at some point

Do yourself a favor and don't fish when they hook up. Sit back and watch their eyes and face.

Pure joy

etucker1959
06-01-2015, 01:08 PM
So if the Bako Boys go that means you'll be on another boat
No, same boat if you'll have me!!!

cutbait
06-01-2015, 01:58 PM
No, same boat if you'll have me!!!

We were friday but you flaked on us

Mr T-rex
06-01-2015, 01:59 PM

Count me in + 3

trail blazer
06-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Count me in + 3

If it's a fun crew,shouldn't we use one of the fun sponsores?

etucker1959
06-01-2015, 06:09 PM
If it's a fun crew,shouldn't we use one of the fun sponsores?
That's a very good point!!!! The problem is we don't have that many choices with fun sponsors. Captains of sportfishing boats are kindly like women. They may sort of look alike, but they are very different in personality's and ability's!!!!

cutbait
06-01-2015, 06:23 PM
That's a very good point!!!! The problem is we don't have that many choices with fun sponsors. Captains of sportfishing boats are kindly like women. They may sort of look alike, but they are very different in personality's and ability's!!!!

How come Etuck you didn't show? How come you comment on this thread but have yet to comment on the subject matter in it? If I didn't know any better I would say....

trail blazer
06-01-2015, 06:39 PM
I say sept,, as I am leaving my current employer and starting somewhere else, ,not sure right now how my schedule will work out

cutbait
06-01-2015, 06:46 PM
I say sept,, as I am leaving my current employer and starting somewhere else, ,not sure right now how my schedule will work out

Don't forget Jr Striper fest around that time

trail blazer
06-01-2015, 07:07 PM
1st part of oct,for jsf, ,that will happen no matter what

etucker1959
06-01-2015, 07:30 PM
How come Etuck you didn't show? How come you comment on this thread but have yet to comment on the subject matter in it? If I didn't know any better I would say....
Let me explain my half arse logic. As you well know, Mike and my buddy Glenn and myself went on a very pleasant boat ride on the Southern Cal on Tuesday. We didn't see smell or taste any Yellowtail on that trip. (that included all the passengers) I had Friday off, so I told Mike I would probably go on the Southern Cal and meet the Bako Boys in person. I've got two very secret handicapping tips on when these Yellowtail are going to explode the next day on any sportfishing boats. One of them is when they catch 50 Yellowtail or more on the afternoon run of any half-day boats. More often then not, the next day's morning run the fish will really bite. That's what happened on Thursday, the New Seaforth caught 70 Yellowtail on their afternoon run. I checked the Southern Cal count on Thursday it was 2 Yellowtail. Now I've got a choice, take a pleasant boat ride on the Southern Cal on Friday and meet the Bako Boys. OR Slay a whole bunch of Yellowtail on another Boat. As I said earlier, "I GOT GREEDY!!!!!!!" I went for the big slay that I thought would happen, unfortunately it didn't. So I not only missed an opportunity to be tortured by the Bako Boys, lol I also missed a good opportunity on the Southern Cal to actually catch a Yellowtail. As I said, "that was my dumb half arse logic."

cutbait
06-01-2015, 08:23 PM
You chose your bed and slept in it.

Had you chose good juju and positive Karma as we did I bet your success would have made for a better experience.

Our group did on every instance this weekend and we were rewarded again and again and made for great memories and closer ties between us.

But you chose selfish interests and we're spurned correct?. All I'm going to say is you were invited and chose your priorities above all else.

MikesOcean
06-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Let me start out by saying "WOW" What a weekend!

Over the years I have been fishing buddies with CB & TB all From FNN. That's all it really was. Buddies I met here online who I saw once in awhile and fished with them at STRIPER events. Then it slowly turned into taking turns jumping on each other's boat over the years with Brian (Double A) who I regret not forcing to come with us.

Then it turned to calling each other talking chit over the years. Chasing STRIPER boils etc. Well, I can truly say I had an awesome time with these guys and they are not just online fishing buddies, these guys are my friends. These are guys I would break bread with.

On to the trip.
This trip started out with me talking to CB About joining me on a 1/2 day like he said. I was shocked when he said he was in. Then I got more shocked and happy when he said TB was in too. Then he said he was bringing his son Eddie and a friend from online Derrik. Now I'm thinking what kind of kinky chit is CB INTO wtf? Haha. Well, I had the pleasure of meeting Derrik for the 1st time who is great people and fit in perfect. Felt like I known him for years and would fish with him anytime again. Now, The one person that was missing from this trip that would have made it much better was our buddy Brian(Double A). Next time We are gonna force him to call in sick.

We all meet early Friday before the boat leaves with a PACKED 1/2 day boat of 50 PEOPLE! ! OMG is all I'm thinking. Cutbait paid for my fare on his credit card before the trip and wouldn't let me pay him when I got there. Thank you Mike for that was very generous of you. This whole trip was everyone doing things for each other and happy to do it. It was all about good Karma. And I didn't give a chit if I catch fish. My buddies from up North are with me here in my town. That alone made it a success. BONUS? we had CB's son join us who is TRULY A FANTASTIC KID and killer little fisherman. All I wanted was for these guys to hook up more then me so they can have a great experience and want to do this more often with me. Well, like cb said, him and TB got swirled on with no commitment. They didn't give a chit, they were laughing there arses off about it and being great sports. I don't want to hang around people who put fishing before friendships. These guys truly put friendships first. They weren't uptight, they weren't ticked off they drove down here, they were just happy we were all together and so was I!

Morning rolls with boils and no hookups. Me, CB, Derrik, & TB Start the morning off throwing surface irons and I think somewhere around 930 Eddie hooks up and lands a toad on bait. At this point, I go to Mike and say " Our trip is made" who gives a chit if anyone of us catch a fish. Just seeing his smile from ear to ear was worth a million bucks. He agreed! AWESOME watching Eddie's face land that Slug! And ANOTHER ONE!!! First timer and LANDS 2!! Kids an animal!

Being on a party boat with 50 people I realized this wasn't the best place to throw irons when guys at the bow are throwing bait. I quickly adjusted and changed to bait while TB & CB Stayed with irons. I knew the time would come to throw strictly surface irons when I was on my boat.

Yes I got lucky and landed 2 on bait. One which just about spooled me. I just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

Trip ends and I am so Bummed they are doing an overnighter and could not join them. So I decide to drag them to Sav On to show then what an awesome tackle shop and incredible group of guys running it. Plus I was trying to prolong the time hanging with these guys while they were in my town.

Little did I know Scott was going to be the star of the show and stop this guy from stealing. He literally ran in front of the guy and insisted for the rods back. This thief was BIG. He took one look at Scott and knew Scott was bigger and totally capable of laying him out. Trying to get through Tb, he kinda pushes him and Scott gives him a fair warning if he does it again he was gonna lay him out. The OP surrenders and we all walked him back to be arrested and watch him be carried out in a stretcher. (You would be panting your last breath too if TB Jumped in your face)

All day Saturday I was going crazy checking 976 tuna to see how there boat was doing. All I saw was there boat had about 8 fish on deck with the last 2 being about 55-60lbs.

I was just praying that one of them landed this fish. Well they didn't. All they said was slow boat, some hot chicks(WTF?) and a grumpy old man. Haha. Oh and they couldn't wait to do it again on another boat.
COUNT ME IN

These guys are awesome and I can't wait to share a rail with them again.

I wish we all lived close! Then I thought about it. Thankfully we don't!!
We would be getting into too much trouble and all of our wives would leave us. lol

P.S. Sorry if this reply bored you and I'm sure I repeated 1/2 the stuff CB said.

MikesOcean
06-01-2015, 10:57 PM

Hmmm.. I'm always in that shop. Not sure if you go often CD?
If you do, we prolly see each other there and shoot the chit!

DockRat
06-02-2015, 06:56 AM
Bako Invasion !!! You guys are on fire with the Jellos. Awesome...
DR

trollmiester
06-02-2015, 07:59 AM
you guys are amazing--always great detailed reports-humor-and pictures.down the street here there was the same thing done with phoenix rods at a tackle shop.they have pictures from the video in the store.i wonder if its same person?.looks like a big samoan or pacifiislander.no prejudice just saying what the photo looked like.

cutbait
06-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Yes.. big Samoan guy..

Has to be the same guys the Bako Boys brought to justice

Trolley, you ought to tell your shop to call the Whittier pd with the video, maybe tie him to both if he did do it

Stormcrow
06-02-2015, 08:33 AM
What an awesome story guys! All the pics were great. Except for the guy who was wearing a Giants hat. Lose the hat and you have yourself a perfect trip!!!

trail blazer
06-02-2015, 09:25 AM
sounds like the same guy,,,,,,

id check it out trolly ,if so maby get a restitution conviction on him or something. those rods are already expensive enough without the added markup needed to cover the losses caused by losers like this dude

TRAIL BLAZER

crappiemike
06-02-2015, 10:05 AM
You picked a good day...
Nice kill you guys,,,,

Cm

City Dad
06-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Hmmm.. I'm always in that shop. Not sure if you go often CD?
If you do, we prolly see each other there and shoot the chit!

I work just up the road in SF Springs. I'm prolly in there a couple times a month - these days my hobby seems to be thinking about fishing rather than fishing. I'll page Mikes Ocean next time I'm in. That's a great shop.

dcfisherman
06-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Yeah. Nice. Way to get it done. Thanks for the motivation but it doesn't take much to get me out there!

trail blazer
06-03-2015, 05:47 AM

O I don't know abought that,,,im sure that with some effort on our part,, and some suggestions from others here on fnn , that we could find a great boat under the FNN flag.

etucker1959
06-03-2015, 07:51 AM
O I don't know abought that,,,im sure that with some effort on our part,, and some suggestions from others here on fnn , that we could find a great boat under the FNN flag.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I only see 2 FNN sponsors on here. Newport landing or Davey's Locker, the problem with either of them the good boats they have are too big. (which means mucho dinero or 30 or more passengers per boat) If I was picking the boats, I would give everyone 3 choices. The Pride in San Diego, it's designed to fish 18 passengers. (it comes with a 18 passenger price) about $235 a person. (that's all tuna fishing) My second choice would be the Truline out of San Pedro. 20 guy's fishing San Clemente Island at $150 a pop. (that's Yellowtail and big Calico bass city) My third choice would be the Trinton out of San Pedro on a 5-5 Catalina run. 20 or so people around a $100 each. That's just my opinion, I would welcome anyone else's idea's.

cutbait
06-03-2015, 09:27 AM
This is shaping up to be an El Nino of historical temps.

Calico fishing should be off of any table

etucker1959
06-03-2015, 09:51 AM
This is shaping up to be an El Nino of historical temps.

Calico fishing should be off of any table
I couldn't agree more on the Calico's. Myself and my good buddy Glenn release almost all of our Calico's. (Big ones every time) You should see and hear some of the reactions from some crew members and passengers when we do it. A couple of months ago while fishing the Coronado's Island for Yellowtail, I caught a #5 Calico Bass the only one that day. I released it of course, when I told Glenn about my nice catch (he didn't see me release it) "He said that was you!!!!" The whole boat is saying you're loco in the cabeza for doing that. I only through out the Calico thing because I didn't know peoples attitude on that. We could have a whole discussion on releasing any Bass!!! lol

MikesOcean
06-03-2015, 11:36 AM
I hear great things about the Pride whenever anyone does a
Private charter on it. Personally I have never been in it.

cutbait
06-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Thanks again guys

DockRat
06-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Let me explain my half arse logic. As you well know, Mike and my buddy Glenn and myself went on a very pleasant boat ride on the Southern Cal on Tuesday. We didn't see smell or taste any Yellowtail on that trip. (that included all the passengers) I had Friday off, so I told Mike I would probably go on the Southern Cal and meet the Bako Boys in person. I've got two very secret handicapping tips on when these Yellowtail are going to explode the next day on any sportfishing boats.

Hey Tucky, Hit the So Cal today, PM (thursday)
4 Nice Yellows for 25 anglers. Cappy moved around a lot but not much happening.
30+ boats out there, Tried the Iron, 1/2 oz slider to a 3/0 and flyline.
Fished the bigger baits, horse dines and macs.
DR

etucker1959
06-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Hey Tucky, Hit the So Cal today, PM (thursday)
4 Nice Yellows for 25 anglers. Cappy moved around a lot but not much happening.
30+ boats out there, Tried the Iron, 1/2 oz slider to a 3/0 and flyline.
Fished the bigger baits, horse dines and macs.
DR
Bummer we got 5 on Tuesday on the Enterprise. Heading out tomorrow (Friday) on the Indian.

etucker1959
06-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Just a follow up, are people serious about a FNN charter????? If so, are there any volunteers to organize the charter??????

flyhigh123
06-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Just a follow up, are people serious about a FNN charter????? If so, are there any volunteers to organize the charter??????

I dont mind organizing and fronting the deposit. How many people are we looking at? I can check with some of the smaller guys out of San Diego, I like Voyager and Pride, both fish 18 and up to 20. Great boats, great captains i have chartered with.

Cost we are looking at around $200 a head for just the trip including fuel and visas.

Most of the weekends are booked out solid by now, but i can check. If we are looking at a weekday, should not be a problem. We can aim for late august to early september as that is always a safe bet for good fishing.

cutbait
06-08-2015, 04:06 PM
I dont mind organizing and fronting the deposit. How many people are we looking at? I can check with some of the smaller guys out of San Diego, I like Voyager and Pride, both fish 18 and up to 20. Great boats, great captains i have chartered with.

Cost we are looking at around $200 a head for just the trip including fuel and visas.

Most of the weekends are booked out solid by now, but i can check. If we are looking at a weekday, should not be a problem. We can aim for late august to early september as that is always a safe bet for good fishing.

For you to front the deposit would be very stand up.

I'm sure that's what is/has always held up a FNN chartered trip..

I'm not sure though leaving here on this thread is enough though.

I'm sure I can talk MikesOcean and Trailblazer into going. Fishinone as well. Several others but I wouldn't drop their name though right now.

Perhaps before you do anything you pick up a dozen verbal commitments first from us?

flyhigh123
06-08-2015, 04:09 PM
For you to front the deposit would be very stand up.

I'm sure that's what is/has always held up a FNN chartered trip..

I'm not sure though leaving here on this thread is enough though.

I'm sure I can talk MikesOcean and Trailblazer into going. Fishinone as well. Several others but I wouldn't drop their name though right now.

Perhaps before you do anything you pick up a dozen verbal commitments first from us?

yah, i would start a new thread to really get some feedback, but just wanted to see if people were really interested. I'm sure any unfilled spaces could be filled with people from BD.

most importantly if it was a weekday, would that work?

cutbait
06-08-2015, 04:36 PM
yah, i would start a new thread to really get some feedback, but just wanted to see if people were really interested. I'm sure any unfilled spaces could be filled with people from BD.

most importantly if it was a weekday, would that work?

I would think a weekday would be more difficult to fill a boat. But what do I know?

Ask

MikesOcean
06-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Leaving Sunday night fishing Monday would probably be perfect.

I think we can fill this boat with our eyes closed

etucker1959
06-08-2015, 05:51 PM
You guy's bring up some great points. Starting with a thread to judge peoples interest. I do think you should offer 2 options to see what is more popular with the people. Instead of my usual beating around the bush, I'll just spell it out. You could go on a hardcore overnight tuna trip with 18 people on the Pride for about $250 bucks apiece. Or a much easier 5-5 Catalina trip on the Triton (with bunks) for about half the price of the tuna trip with about the same amount of people. This would mostly be a Yellowtail trip, but you could also bring lesser experienced people on this trip. (Women & Children)

cutbait
06-08-2015, 06:07 PM
It's my opinion that any trip where we could potentially be fishing for calico or rockfish I will pass on.

trail blazer
06-08-2015, 06:15 PM
It's my opinion that any trip where we could potentially be fishing for calico or rockfish I will pass on.

I TOTALLY agree!

genius,

T/B

etucker1959
06-08-2015, 06:36 PM
You boy's are making it easy now, it's tuna in San Diego!!!!! Now pick the month and the boat!!!!!!! It's easier then that, Aug or Sept????? Just pick the Pride for the boat. I've been on it a bunch of times and last years fish counts were amazing!!!!!! You only need 18 people, so chime in who want's to go???????? Tentatively of course!!!! Seal, if I pay for your ticket will you go????????

Which Way Out
06-11-2015, 06:56 AM
Nice Fish!

WWO

Wingnut
06-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Outstanding! Looks like we're in for a great year. :Big Grin: