PDA

View Full Version : Die Off at BBL Due to Drought

Stinkbait
05-31-2015, 08:16 PM
Big carp die off...they say the carp don't move deeper as the water recedes from the drought. I say they are spawning and can't move do to instincts.

http://www.localnews7.com/california/hundreds-of-fish-wash-ashore-in-big-bear-due-to-drought-h169860.html

seal
06-01-2015, 06:02 AM
Well not exactly impressed by whoever wrote that article but beyond that what doesn't make sense to me is that it states they are netting and relocating the fish. Doesn't BBL hold tournaments every year to eliminate the carp? Why the heck would they net them and relocate them?

cutbait
06-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Is a carp die off really even worthy of anyone's time or energy?

DarkShadow
06-01-2015, 08:56 AM
http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/kabc/images/cms/758923_630x354.jpg

That's no drought.

I wonder if Sklyer has an alibi.

augnmike
06-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Ok here are the facts. It was a carp die off, which since I do a lot of bow fishing I do care about. But!!!! The fish died on the other side of Stansfield Crossing in the marsh area, not in the main lake. It was due to low water levels but I don't shoot over there anyway since I am in a raised deck boat. They did not "net them and move them to deeper water" since they don't care about carp other than to want to get rid of them as much as possible in the main lake.

seal
06-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Ok that made much better sense!

goodguy
06-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Intersting... I'm heading up that way sunday... Not the marsh though. Camping at Green Valley Sat-Mon and gonna spend the day at big bear wetting a line...

seal
06-01-2015, 02:45 PM
I thought that "report" seemed funky. This is the update from Rim of the world with more detail.

http://rotwnews.com/2015/06/01/mwd-responds-to-tv-stations-report-of-dead-carp-on-big-bear-lake/

Doghunter
06-01-2015, 07:49 PM
I was up there Saturday with my son, we caught 7 and lost 2 more by about 10am. Most were tiny trout about 7 or 8 inches long, the typical DFG stocker that they plant these days, but we did catch a couple that were around 1lb. We were trolling between the observatory and the dam. It was fun until all the lake lice took over the lake. i would have thought it was mid summer, the lake was packed with boats.

Deceiver
06-02-2015, 10:31 AM
I was up there over the weekend too. The area past Stanfield cut off is completely dry.

Skyler
06-02-2015, 11:22 AM
I was up there over the weekend too. The area past Stanfield cut off is completely dry.

It has been dry for a couple months now. This story is old. Not sure why they finally decided to report it now.

DarkShadow
06-02-2015, 12:18 PM
It has been dry for a couple months now. This story is old. Not sure why they finally decided to report it now.

So this has nothing to do with the time we installed all those pumps and generators that one night?

You said it was for a study.

Skyler
06-03-2015, 03:11 PM
So this has nothing to do with the time we installed all those pumps and generators that one night?

You said it was for a study.

Meh, wasn't me. Tweakers stole those generators within an hour. Home Depot tried to keep my deposit.