PDA

View Full Version : So when are the shad and the stripers going to start spawning?

Johnny Jay
05-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Two weeks ago Thursday (the 7th) trolled for stripers with u rigs, but there was a lot of grass in the water and the rigs just kept getting filled up with grass, so after a couple hours we switched to throwing wacky worms for LMB. It was a light rain off and on during the morning, but the sun finally came out around 11:00. We caught this LMB about 3.5 pounds at the east end, and that was it. Plan to be back out there on this Wednesday to catch some of those lunker stripers that I know are lurking out there. So when's the spawn going to start?46280

P.A.W.
05-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Stripers are in spawn mode now. That's why they're scarce. Even the mighty inlet was all but dead today. I was the first boat there and managed one 3/4 pound dink. The main buoy line is paying off with dinks for the cutbait guys too. There are exceptions. I got a 3 pounder trolling a pointer and was hitting some LMB with topwaters. The grass is always problematic for trolling U-rigs in warmer weather. Just stay in 25feet + and you should be OK. I think the troll bite will pick up in a month or so at Skinner.

TroutOnly
05-18-2015, 06:51 PM
WHAT ,I LIKE TO TROLL THEM IN 10FT OF WATER..................LOL...................sorry pat I couldn't help myself............

P.A.W.
05-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Ha! I know what you mean. You just have to let out 15 feet of line and you're safe.

TroutOnly
05-20-2015, 09:53 AM
100ft so I can troll the east ends of the lake and play with the lmb till the stripers roll past................10ft out 1 ft down............