PDA

View Full Version : Lake Crowley, June lake and Virginia lakes 5/1 and 5/2

socal_native
05-04-2015, 09:18 AM
5/1/15:
Trolled Crowley all day Friday.
Seemed slow for most trollers but heard that bait and wait was working better.

But later at the cleaning area there were not many limits.
Some guys were talking it up but they had 5 or 6 fish for the 3 of them, you do the math.

I saw a few nicer fish but nothing to write home about.
The weather was nice and the wind wasn't too bad.
A nice day fishing but not catching.

5/2/15:
Float tubed Gull in the morning and cast from the shore.
I caught two right off on the troll, with lures, from my float tube.
First one was a good hold over 1.5 pounds the second about a pound but it really wrecked my line.
As I wasn't too far from the launching point I went back to let the others how it was going and to fix my setup.

After I got back out I only got a couple more hits, on the lures, and switched to plastics.
I caught a couple more small stockers and released them all. I called the morning good and went to get breakfast.

After breakfast we drove up to Virginia lakes. None of the gates are open yet. But you can the road all the way to Big Virginia is wide open.

Tried our luck at Big without much luck. Although it was a very nice day.

After an early lunch we drove back down to Little and the three of us in float tubes were all over them. But then it's a tiny lake and the fish have no where to go and are starving.
I caught and released at least 6 in about 30 minutes and then switched to lures to be able to release them easier.
The plastics were a hit every cast but the lures weren't very productive.

The shore bait and waiters weren't too happy every time I went past and had a hook up right in front of them.
Sorry, but you need to get on the water.

I showed a young boy how to cast and he did improve.
But he finally got one when I cast it out for him and then coached him in retrieving it. He was one of two in his party of 25 to catch a fish.

The eastern shoreline of little was packed from just over the bridge to the back corner.

We all caught and released many there.

Went back to Gull and rested and then float tube until dark.

That's when we got a 3 pounder from shore and then, as the last fish we caught on the trip, my buddy kicked up with a 5.5 hold over, on his lap.
It had a nice full tail and nice pink meat.

Overall a good trip, but Crowley was slow, as was everywhere, from who we talked to, but there are still a few nice hold overs out there.

For reference, both of those guys are over 6'3"

billy b
05-04-2015, 09:57 AM
I was at Big Virg about a week ago and only the shoreline was frozen. Was it totally open when you got there? What's fast!

socal_native
05-04-2015, 10:23 AM
I was at Big Virg about a week ago and only the shoreline was frozen. Was it totally open when you got there? What's fast!

This is looking towards Red Lake.

Tfisherman
05-08-2015, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the report, its good to see fisherman that care enough to help kids catch fish, it gives them a love for the sport.