PDA

View Full Version : So i want to go to the Delta...

ZipperWurm
05-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Like many other anglers out there that have had dreams of fishing the delta, i want to make it a reality. Im sure this has been asked before, but seeing as the delta is thousands of miles of waterways...its pretty intimidating on where one should start for their very first trip. I'm looking for a good place up there to stay for a few days that's pleasant and reasonably priced. I've been doing some research of my own and it seems there's a lot of places with horrible reviews...so im welcoming any advice i can get from here? My dad stayed at this place called Sugar Barge a few years ago on Bethel Island he said was nice, was thinking about trying that unless there might be a more appealing option? Any input would be great. Was thinking about heading up in the fall and targeting LMB and stripers :Big Grin:

DEVOREFLYER
05-02-2015, 05:05 PM
Stayed at Russo's Marina in a fishing partners motor home two years ago. Russo's also has a motor home on site for rent if not booked during your dates. Sugar barge is close by to Russo's. Stayed at Comfort Suite in Oakley last year for 5 days for a tournament but is 20 minutes from Russo's. http://www.russosmarina.com/

You can launch and store your boat and trailer at Russo's in dry storage or in the covered dock with power to charge your batteries as I do.
http://i.imgur.com/gmsk4B9.jpg

Big-Bob
05-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Myself and a couple other members from the forum have also been talking about a delta trip.

Devore what was the daily rate for wet docking? I don't think I came across that on their website.

trail blazer
05-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Im up to2 trips a year now to the delta,,,,,

Heres my fav spot

http://www.bandwresort.net/General_Store.html

The boat can be park,d in its uncoverd slip 50 feet from the cabins in plain view ,,NOT sure if there is charging hookups though

The cabins are clean and fully stock,d .

Then there,s TIKI
http://www.bandwresort.net/General_Store.html

and TURNER CUT,,

http://turnercutresort.com/Cabins.html
Who although they do NOT advertise that they have cabins THEY DO Floating cabin that is coverd and just 2 steps from the boat to the front door

Then theres this place that I HAVE NOT stayd at BUT I have heard good things abought

http://www.newlifemarina.com/

The delta is by far my favorite place to go,,,,,please do N O T! go there without a months notice to yours truly TRAIL BLAZER lol .

Im already looking forward to a trip this fall myself looking for some salmon/stripers and even some sturgeon action,,.

Nothing like coffee in your own cabin Then slayage then lunch at one of many on the water restaurants then more slayage then firing up the grill on the front porch of the cabin and relaxing on the delta!

Keep us posted Z

TRAIL BLAZER

trail blazer
05-02-2015, 05:54 PM
I will also add this The most that iv ever spent for one night in a cabin with boat mooring and trl parking THE WHOLE WORKS has been around 125$ ,, Less then I would have spent loading the boat and going to a hotel AND a whole lot less work JMO!

mY last trip in mid march I spent 2 nights at B and W resort in a cabin with the boat in a slip for around 225$

As far as im concerned THAT IS A STEAL!

Il be back there this fall and cant wait!

TRAIL BLAZER

DEVOREFLYER
05-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Myself and a couple other members from the forum have also been talking about a delta trip.

Devore what was the daily rate for wet docking? I don't think I came across that on their website.

The last two years the covered dock was $20 per day and includes gated storage of your trailer. The launch fee is $10 so for only $10 more each day you save the hassle of launching and retrieving every day and finding a spot to charge your batteries.

Even with a map of the Delta I would not go without GPS on your boat. Thousands of miles of area to cover and it is like a maze and easy to get lost. This is what a typical day on the water for a tournament looks like. Big motor running 3 hours 5 minutes, 148 miles run, average speed 47.9 mph, top speed 78.4 mph, 48 gal of fuel used, runnin' and gunnin' lookin' for the biguns..

http://i.imgur.com/X6GaCXJ.jpg

trail blazer
05-02-2015, 05:59 PM
WOW DEVO 1st I was slobbering just thinking abought a trip to the delta then you post a pic of a 12hds Im slobbering again!

SHOW OFF lol

TRAIL BLAZER

DEVOREFLYER
05-02-2015, 06:12 PM
It's not my HDS 12 it's a pic of my friends at the delta. I have the HDS 5 in the cockpit and the Elite 7 on the bow, looking to upgrade though but not to a 12. I don't care to sleep on the couch and the dog won't share his hootch if my wife found out what those cost. My friend has 2 HDS 12's. I am looking at the Bluetooth accessory to link my HDS 5 to my notepad and then I could have a 10" display for only around $200 plus a mount for it. Electronics are getting crazy and serious money.

trail blazer
05-02-2015, 06:17 PM
I HEAR YA. ELITE 5 ON MINE CAUST IM A CHEEPSCATE And have a WIFE also LOL

cutbait
05-02-2015, 06:28 PM
I've stayed at B &W several time and like it. I also have camped at bethel Island and saved lots of money. I camped over at Antioch once but didn't like it.

If I was going solo I would camp at bethel Island and launch over at Russos.

B and W is nice because your near hog , beaver, disappointment and white slough. Head south and you've got Frank's tract and tons of water in between.

Your call!

The Delta is vast and overwhelming. It would be ideal to hire a guide on day one to find the regions and methods the bite is doing Then spend 3-4 days whacking fish

Caliyak
05-02-2015, 07:53 PM
Tiki is a sweet spot.

Riverdale
05-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Def Russo,hit up the hook line and sinker shop there for real info on the fishing.Bring the big line 14-17 lb test,fish big senkos,bring 60 lb braid for a frog,black with yellow nose frog is the ticket.Chartruse and white spinnerbaits,dark red speed traps in the fall work well run them parallel to the rip rap and run them into the rocks and bounce them off for a reaction strike.Flip or drag big jigs with dark craw trailers for sure .The Delta is the king of big baits get big fish!!!Log onto Ultimatebassradio.com a few weeks prior to get the heads up on whats working.I lived on that water and cut my teeth on those Fish!!!The Elite series is on the Delta this weekend check Bassmaster .com for some eye candy from the last two days!!Watch the tides, spots you can fly thru at high tide will have sand bars at low tide (no buoy markers)be careful .All the normal line side baits will work.Cheers!!!

ZipperWurm
05-03-2015, 11:37 AM
You can launch and store your boat and trailer at Russo's in dry storage or in the covered dock with power to charge your batteries as I do.
http://i.imgur.com/gmsk4B9.jpg

Nice! That looks like a sweet gig! I'm definetly interested in some wet storage, makes life much easier!

The delta is by far my favorite place to go,,,,,please do N O T! go there without a months notice to yours truly TRAIL BLAZER lol .

Im already looking forward to a trip this fall myself looking for some salmon/stripers and even some sturgeon action,,.

Nothing like coffee in your own cabin Then slayage then lunch at one of many on the water restaurants then more slayage then firing up the grill on the front porch of the cabin and relaxing on the delta!

Keep us posted Z

TRAIL BLAZER

Thanks for the info, TB! I'm looking at possibly heading up sometime in november, I'll keep you posted!:Thumbs Up:

The Delta is vast and overwhelming. It would be ideal to hire a guide on day one to find the regions and methods the bite is doing Then spend 3-4 days whacking fish

That's definetly a good idea....cept I'm kinda cheap and like exploring and trying to figure things out on my own, lol. Unless we are talking about the coveted bako boy guide service...then I may be inclined to do business :Razz:

Def Russo,hit up the hook line and sinker shop there for real info on the fishing.Bring the big line 14-17 lb test,fish big senkos,bring 60 lb braid for a frog,black with yellow nose frog is the ticket.Chartruse and white spinnerbaits,dark red speed traps in the fall work well run them parallel to the rip rap and run them into the rocks and bounce them off for a reaction strike.Flip or drag big jigs with dark craw trailers for sure .The Delta is the king of big baits get big fish!!!Log onto Ultimatebassradio.com a few weeks prior to get the heads up on whats working.I lived on that water and cut my teeth on those Fish!!!The Elite series is on the Delta this weekend check Bassmaster .com for some eye candy from the last two days!!Watch the tides, spots you can fly thru at high tide will have sand bars at low tide (no buoy markers)be careful .All the normal line side baits will work.Cheers!!!

That sounds like a dream come true for me...seems like it's tough to get bit down here unless you're dropshotting a dinky finesse bait, lol. the tide thing still has me puzzled...last thing I wanna do is cruise over a sandbar that wasn't there when I flew through hours before...is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to navigating that place? Like knowing which areas to avoid when tide gets low? I'm wondering how many feet difference from an average high to low tide cycle...

DEVOREFLYER
05-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Zipperworm buy this map even if you have GPS on your boat. It will give you a great overview of the Delta and allow you to plan before you get there. I don't know what electronics you have on your boat or if you have GPS. All of my trips/routes/trails are stored in my unit from the last two years trips. If your unit will talk to mine and if I could down load the points you are welcome to them. I just don't know if I can download as I have never done it before. If you get the map I can walk you through some of the areas I have fished and warn you of some hazard areas.

http://i.imgur.com/2v5pln4.jpg

Riverdale
05-03-2015, 12:51 PM
The delta is not that deep in most places so the tide can have big impact in those spots.For the most park the main channels will be fine stay in the middle when on the gas.The tides can fluctuate about 3-4 feet on some days less on others just depends on what the ocean is doing.Get a delta map their is the old one and a newer one both will show shallow area.You can get a tide book at most bait shops too.Delta boating .com has an online tide chart as well.I always liked incoming tide but draining low can work as well ,fish em all.Ya I hear you, the place was a dream for me.I lived on a back slough of the San Joaquin river where it goes under the 5 fwy back past the next bridge in a rv park that was surrounded by water,i had my own dock with a 14 ft jon.The water right in front of me was all mine most outside boats didn't even know or care about that water and most of the locals had docks with old boats parked on em that never left LOL I came back to so cal to take care of Family and did not even fish for the 1st two yrs I was back.Went to pud a few times and just got pissed off,The fishing for pigs was so easy up there I thought I was Pro! LOL Now the guy who owns the boat We fish out of here shows me the whole 3 inch worm shaky thing and I just hate it!!!Last year on a Sat during a tournament on DVL when My fav Delta colored Speed traps started to produce I just went nuts!!!!!We were ziggin in and out of those tourney boats just pullin em in!LOL Classisc!!!The whole place looks fishy it can seem overwhelming.Randy Pringle quide service is the tide guru guide up there!!! Nor Cal the land of Cold water, Warm Women ,and Big Fish!!!

HawgZWylde
05-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Watch out for the Yacht and ship wakes, and watch out for other boaters haulin *** over those wakes if you're fishing in the channels. They can lose control quickly and come right at ya real quick as we found out. All three of us were ready to bail into the water. The Delta is definitely somewhere you want to stay keyed in on your surroundings at all times...

DEVOREFLYER
05-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Watch out for the Yacht and ship wakes, and watch out for other boaters haulin *** over those wakes if you're fishing in the channels. They can lose control quickly and come right at ya real quick as we found out. All three of us were ready to bail into the water. The Delta is definitely somewhere you want to stay keyed in on your surroundings at all times...

I remember that too well, the only decision to make was what side of the damn boat was I gonna bail out on. How many laundry cycles did it take to get the brown spots out of your whitey tighty's???? lol

trail blazer
05-03-2015, 02:04 PM
ALSO Heres a site that I use that has most of the marinas and there web sites and locations on it.

http://deltaboating.com/marinas.htm

T/B

HawgZWylde
05-03-2015, 02:47 PM
I remember that too well, the only decision to make was what side of the damn boat was I gonna bail out on. How many laundry cycles did it take to get the brown spots out of your whitey tighty's???? lol

Lol, took awhile for the air to clear around the boat for sure. The way the boat coming at us was swapping side to side, couldn't tell which side he was gonna hit. I'm still amazed he pulled that off...

ZipperWurm
05-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Zipperworm buy this map even if you have GPS on your boat. It will give you a great overview of the Delta and allow you to plan before you get there. I don't know what electronics you have on your boat or if you have GPS. All of my trips/routes/trails are stored in my unit from the last two years trips. If your unit will talk to mine and if I could down load the points you are welcome to them. I just don't know if I can download as I have never done it before. If you get the map I can walk you through some of the areas I have fished and warn you of some hazard areas.

oh wow, i havent seen one of those in years, my dad used to have a bunch for all the local lakes and the colorado river. My electronics are a bit outdated....trying to get my hands on a new HDS-8 if i can swing it soon. Thats very generous of you, i may take you up on that offer when the time comes, thank you! :Beer Toast:

The delta is not that deep in most places so the tide can have big impact in those spots.For the most park the main channels will be fine stay in the middle when on the gas.The tides can fluctuate about 3-4 feet on some days less on others just depends on what the ocean is doing.Get a delta map their is the old one and a newer one both will show shallow area.You can get a tide book at most bait shops too.Delta boating .com has an online tide chart as well.I always liked incoming tide but draining low can work as well ,fish em all.Ya I hear you, the place was a dream for me.I lived on a back slough of the San Joaquin river where it goes under the 5 fwy back past the next bridge in a rv park that was surrounded by water,i had my own dock with a 14 ft jon.The water right in front of me was all mine most outside boats didn't even know or care about that water and most of the locals had docks with old boats parked on em that never left LOL I came back to so cal to take care of Family and did not even fish for the 1st two yrs I was back.Went to pud a few times and just got pissed off,The fishing for pigs was so easy up there I thought I was Pro! LOL Now the guy who owns the boat We fish out of here shows me the whole 3 inch worm shaky thing and I just hate it!!!Last year on a Sat during a tournament on DVL when My fav Delta colored Speed traps started to produce I just went nuts!!!!!We were ziggin in and out of those tourney boats just pullin em in!LOL Classisc!!!The whole place looks fishy it can seem overwhelming.Randy Pringle quide service is the tide guru guide up there!!! Nor Cal the land of Cold water, Warm Women ,and Big Fish!!!

I've never been farther north than Yosemite east of the sierras and fresno to the west....so im excited to see it!

good lord! i didn't even think of those giants ships that roll through there :EyePop:

ALSO Heres a site that I use that has most of the marinas and there web sites and locations on it.

http://deltaboating.com/marinas.htm

T/B

that site appears to have a wealth of info on it, thanks!

DEVOREFLYER
05-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Zipperworm you can purchase the Delta map here: http://www.fishnmap.com