PDA

View Full Version : Quick two hour session Legg Lake

TUNAVIC
04-29-2015, 04:43 PM
Went to Legg Lake today,got there at 10.00am fished till 12:00 and then headed for some spicy tuna lunch,couple of LMBs,one decent, lake was empty of fisherman nice couple of hours.
Fish came on a 7" worm,8lb flouro.

Cya Tuna Vic

old pudd fisher
04-29-2015, 06:25 PM
Looks like you had a good day, that's a nice looking lunch too. I haven't fished Legg Lake for a long long time. My dad would take me there in the early 60s.

Ifishtoolittle
04-29-2015, 07:33 PM
That's how you do it right there! Quick sesh, quick bites, and quick lunch. Nice job TUNAVIC!

TUNAVIC
04-29-2015, 09:16 PM
That's how you do it right there! Quick sesh, quick bites, and quick lunch. Nice job TUNAVIC!
Thanks,Ifishtoolittle.
Cya Tuna Vic

TUNAVIC
04-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Looks like you had a good day, that's a nice looking lunch too. I haven't fished Legg Lake for a long long time. My dad would take me there in the early 60s.

Hey old pudd fisher,I too fished Legg Lake as a kid,then it got kinda sketchie for a while,but all is good now,great place to scratch that fishing jones quickly,9mins from my home.
Cya Tuna Vic

Ifishtoolittle
04-29-2015, 10:30 PM
Sketchie? You've got me interested now TUNAVIC.

TUNAVIC
04-30-2015, 08:04 AM
Sketchie? You've got me interested now TUNAVIC.
Ha,only the fact that back a few years ago it was a hangout for the unscrupulous,and for awhile I would tell friends I'm going to fish Legg lake and they say "What?" You better watch your back!
And to be honest I would fish looking over my shoulder quite often,but things have really changed for the better,I think one of the main reasons is it's become one of the headquarters for a community service locals,ie DUIs ect..so the police who monitor those guys are always there watching them pick up trash and just keeping the parks clean,it's now a much more family friendly place,plus it's free parking and entry to all 3 lakes weekdays,for now.
Cya Tuna Vic

Mr T-rex
04-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Nice good job Cant go wrong with landing some largys and grabbing a spicy tuna roll right after
Two of my favorite things sushi and fishing

ela
04-30-2015, 09:48 PM
Went to Legg Lake today,got there at 10.00am fished till 12:00 and then headed for some spicy tuna lunch,couple of LMBs,one decent, lake was empty of fisherman nice couple of hours.
Fish came on a 7" worm,8lb flouro

Cya Tuna Vic

Hey Tunavic, you should try legg bass sashimi on your next outing. Lol

Gobigal
05-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Cut my teeth fishing Legg Lakes as a kid. My buddies and I would ride our bikes from our homes in El Monte in the early 70's. We never encountered "scrupulous" behavior during any of our outings. Our ages were 12-15 yrs during these times and our parents had no concerns about our safety. Graduated El Monte High School and lived with my parents until I was in my early twenties, when I eventually moved out, found a great job, got married, and had two wonderful kids. When I mention to people I grew up in El Monte, most would sneer and say......."El Monte????" Yes, there were times when gangs ran around but El Monte has always received a bad rap. Some people used to joke and say there were more dead bodies in those lakes than fish. Well, I'm here to defend this city and say Legg Lakes was and will always be good to me.

BTW - Just inherited my parents home in El Monte after the passing of these two wonderful people. The home was built in 1950 and until last year when my mom passed of Alzheimer's, they lived in this humble abode. Never a problem, nice residence and good neighborhood. I for one will enjoy my second home and hopefully get out to my 'ol stompin ground, do a little fishing, or even take the grand kids and show them where grandpa learned how to fish, after all, I'm only a bicycle ride away.

Big Al.

AndyJ
05-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Nice bass and lunch Tuna Vic. I have fond memories of riding bikes to Legg Lake to fish in the 70s and 80s (frost on the beanie, great trout, bass, crappie).
I remember fishing trout at Legg lake in 1979 with my now-wife. We were sitting on the bank and thinking let's go to Ensenada and fish Todos Santos for yellows. And off we went that day. Those were the times.

TUNAVIC
05-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Thanks AndyJ,I too have great memories at Legg Lake and continue to make them,started fishing there a little earlier than the 70s,used to fish close to there at a place called streamland park on the Pico Rivera side, as I mentioned earlier some times there were better than others but I never stopped going as many have, I wish they'd come back and check it out now,good times to be had!
Cya Tuna Vic

Hometown
05-05-2015, 10:46 PM
Nice chunk Vic

iLLest
05-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Hey Vic,
I havent been able to hit the surf lately so I've been going to Legg Lake alot.
Since I'm not expert at the freshwater game, its been a learning process but I'm steadily learning the basics.
I've hit legg lake about 20 times, with about each session lasting 2-3 hours. I've used Senkos, mostly in Green Pumpkin & Junebug colors, Texas rigged and Wacky rigged with mediocre success. Switched to Ika's, jigs, frogs and chatterbaits for a bit and same result. I cant seem to dial the lake in. I've heard that theres big fish there but you have to fish it often in order to get anything decent. What am I doing wrong? LOL

TUNAVIC
05-09-2015, 07:38 PM
W
Hey Vic,
I havent been able to hit the surf lately so I've been going to Legg Lake alot.
Since I'm not expert at the freshwater game, its been a learning process but I'm steadily learning the basics.
I've hit legg lake about 20 times, with about each session lasting 2-3 hours. I've used Senkos, mostly in Green Pumpkin & Junebug colors, Texas rigged and Wacky rigged with mediocre success. Switched to Ika's, jigs, frogs and chatterbaits for a bit and same result. I cant seem to dial the lake in. I've heard that theres big fish there but you have to fish it often in
order to get anything decent. What am I doing wrong? LOL
Yeah those lakes can be tuff,I pmed you one tip that will help for sure.
Cya Tuna Vic

TUNAVIC
05-09-2015, 07:58 PM
Nice chunk Vic

Thanks Mark,nice to hear from you,hope all is well.
Cya Tuna Vic

iLLest
05-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Hey Vic,

I appreciate the quick response and would gladly soak in any advice that can be given.
I checked my PM and dont have anything from you, do you mind sending me the valuable information once again please? :D
Thanks again for the help!

aj90b
05-19-2015, 07:17 PM
hey guys new here on the forums and new to freshwater fishing, ive been trying legg lake since its local to me. Ive been using crankbaits and softbaits with no success, havent had the chance to use live bait but was hoping someone here could provide some useful info. any advice or tips would be much appreciated. thanks guys

dday07
05-20-2015, 07:40 PM
hey guys new here on the forums and new to freshwater fishing, ive been trying legg lake since its local to me. Ive been using crankbaits and softbaits with no success, havent had the chance to use live bait but was hoping someone here could provide some useful info. any advice or tips would be much appreciated. thanks guys

Not an expert on lake but like most lakes i don't fish alot...i go safe..dropshot senkos,robos,and even trout worms..have had mild success but i'll take it on that lake

TUNAVIC
05-20-2015, 08:25 PM
Yeah those lakes can be tuff,I usually throw plastics,worms,grubs,senkos,ect..for me the larger worms do the best,as far as advice,I would say,go often,don't waist to much time in one spot,move around and fan cast each spot you stop.
If you go often,you'll start to recognize the regulars and ask them what they've been getting bit on,most regs there are pretty cool,some are a little tight lipped,but that's the minority.
Cya Tuna Vic

aj90b
05-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Hey guys I really appreciate the advice, I been having better success on the lake and managed to catch a 5 pound bass, but my buddy managed to hook into something much bigger, we didn't get to see what it was though because it snapped our 15 pound test, in guessing at catfish? But maybe next time we will reel it in

TUNAVIC
05-27-2015, 09:16 AM
Hey guys I really appreciate the advice, I been having better success on the lake and managed to catch a 5 pound bass, but my buddy managed to hook into something much bigger, we didn't get to see what it was though because it snapped our 15 pound test, in guessing at catfish? But maybe next time we will reel it in
My guess would be a carp,I caught a 25lb carp in the middle lake on a "ika" on 10lb test,thought I had hooked my pb lmb,alas it was not to be,although it was my largest F/W fish.
Cya Tuna Vic

iLLest
05-27-2015, 11:55 PM
Something to think about: I saw something huge swimming in the shallows the other day. Completely white fish, about 2ft in length. It wasnt a Bass, or a catfish, the only thing I can assume it was is a Carp. BUT, I've seen carp before and never have I seen one that looked this pure white. I might sound stupid and absolute insane but after careful thought, it looked exactly like a Koi fish. Yes, a koi fish. THAT WHITE. It was definitely something to see.

kshock126
07-14-2015, 12:03 AM
Hey fellas, gonna drop by tomorrow to get in some practice. Gonna try a roboworm on a drop shot. Got some storm shads too to see if I can get a bite.

Any last minute advice? Thanks!

TUNAVIC
07-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Something to think about: I saw something huge swimming in the shallows the other day. Completely white fish, about 2ft in length. It wasnt a Bass, or a catfish, the only thing I can assume it was is a Carp. BUT, I've seen carp before and never have I seen one that looked this pure white. I might sound stupid and absolute insane but after careful thought, it looked exactly like a Koi fish. Yes, a koi fish. THAT WHITE. It was definitely something to see. Yup,actually I've seen a few Carp/Koi in those lakes,mostly orange and white,but it doesn't surprise me you saw a pure white one,very cool!
Cya Tuna Vic

Sebastian323
07-14-2015, 04:31 PM
Yup,actually I've seen a few Carp/Koi in those lakes,mostly orange and white,but it doesn't surprise me you saw a pure white one,very cool!
Cya Tuna Vic

I was there yesterday and I saw a large white koi in front of the drain by rosemead blvd on the middle lake, but not as big as the one described here . on sunday i also think i saw one in the south lake.

I only got one bite yesterday, but on sunday night i saw one man get an 18-inch bass and a channel catfish.

TUNAVIC
07-14-2015, 09:13 PM
I was there yesterday and I saw a large white koi in front of the drain by rosemead blvd on the middle lake, but not as big as the one described here . on sunday i also think i saw one in the south lake.

I only got one bite yesterday, but on sunday night i saw one man get an 18-inch bass and a channel catfish.
I talked to a guy last week,said he got two on senkos which makes sense with all the moss,if you walk out on the pier/dock in the south lake you can see the weed line pretty well,it looks pretty cool.
Cya Tuna Vic

PandaXL
07-29-2015, 12:36 AM
Oh snap Tuna Vic, I think I saw you the other day, you were with another guy fishing for catfish and you give me some great advice on Tube Bait
Was that you?