PDA

View Full Version : ALPERS ALPERS ALPERS

FreshandSalt
10-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Anyone know what the Alpers trout stocking schedule is for the rest of the season for bishop creek canyon???

any info will help. thanks in advance

Sierra_Smitty
10-10-2007, 07:53 PM
South Fork & Intake II
October 12th
October 26th

Middle Fork & North Lake
October 19th

Sabrina and especially South Lake are kicking out some toads right now....I wouldn't pass either up if you're in the area. Marlon Meade & Dave Finkelstein(aka Dave92706) fished South on Monday and got 6 alpers to 7lbs between the two of them not counting the biggun that broke off after two 50 yard runs.

For South Lake reports(usually updated each Sunday) go to http://www.parchersresort.net/fishreport.htm

For Sabrina reports go to http://www.lakesabrinaboatlanding.com/

I'm not planning on putting any more fish into South Lake because there are already so many in there between what we put in and what Socal Edison put in that there isn't much point.

Good fishing....
Smitty

FreshandSalt
10-10-2007, 08:19 PM
thanks smitty. im making efforts to make another outing up there on oct.18-21. thanks for the info. and i know about the parchers site, i check it every week. id say best reports for the canyon is on that site. ill look on the middle fork and north lake for the freshly planted big ones. i usually rent a boat on sabrina twice on each trip but with all the good results i will do one on south also this trip. you work at parchers or what?

Headhunter
10-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Yeah, Smitty.....you work up at Parchers or somethin' like that? :banana: :roll:

gwjones00
10-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Yeah, Smitty.....you work up at Parchers or somethin' like that? :banana: :roll:

Me thinks "owns" is the right word....

Thanks for the update Smitty! BTW - are you and your bro going to get time to fish the Owens this winter? I'll be looking for reports.....

sktruth
10-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Can someone please help me out for a sec? I'm looking at going to Bishop at the end of this month. Can someone please help me out and pass on some info on season regs. Could someone please tell me when the season officially closes? (and where), i've heard parts are open all year round. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

gwjones00
10-11-2007, 08:14 AM
The "season" officially closes November 15.

As of 3/1/2007, I *believe* new regulations allow year round fishing on:

Hot Creek (artifical flies, barbless hooks)
Owens River upstream from Benton Crossing (artifical flies only, barbless hooks, C&R only)
Note: It appears that the Owens from Benton Crossing south to the monument at Crowley closes on Sep 30.
Pleasant Valley Reservoir (no restrictions)
Owens River from PVR to footbridge at the lower end of PVR campground (from 10/1 through 12/31 - artifical lures with barbless hooks, C&R only, otherwise limit of 2)
Owens River from footbridge along Chalk Bluffs Road to Redwood Sign (artifical lures only with barbless hooks, C&R only)
Owens River from Redwood sign down to Tinemaha Reservoir (open all year with no restrictions)

All other waters are closed with one exception. East Walker River is now open year round, but artifical lures only with barbless hooks, C&R only, between 11/16 and opening day.

Folks - set me straight?

Sierra_Smitty
10-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Can someone please help me out for a sec? I'm looking at going to Bishop at the end of this month. Can someone please help me out and pass on some info on season regs. Could someone please tell me when the season officially closes? (and where), i've heard parts are open all year round. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

General Trout Season Ends November 15th. This area includes all fishable waters in Inyo & Mono counties EXCEPT ----> Pleasant Valley Reservior, the Owens River Gorge (section of the Owens above PVR but below Crowley) and The Lower Owens (section below PVR) whicih are open for trout fishing all year. Last season Hot Creek, the Upper Owens and the East Walker were included in the year around regs however there is still much debate on this so we'll have to see if it holds up again this year. Next time you're in Bishop, stop by the DFG office off of line street and pick up one of the Inyo/Mono reg books, there is a wealth of info in there and pretty much any question you have about regs specific to our area.

Peace,
Smitty

one_leg
10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Oh Yeah!!!! I wanna get up there before the closure. Who's gonna put up with One_Leg for ar least a weekend?

One_Leg

sktruth
10-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Thank you Smitty for all your help. I've only been to Bishop once, but i enjoyed it immensly. I am planning a trip probably to four jeffries 10-19 through 10-21. I loved fishing the streams up there it was amazing. Would you be willing to give me some pointers on where to start as far as Bishop creek? My last question is regarding Owens river. From Bishop could you tell me how far it is? and any pointers if i wanted to try a day on the owens? Thank you for all your help in advance. I love that that site ACTUALLY (unlike many) provide a place for fishermen to help out and teach other fisherman. Thank you again.
Peace

gwjones00
10-12-2007, 02:58 PM
The Owens runs from the Mammoth area all the way down past Big Pine. The Upper Owens (from Mammoth to the bridge at Benton Crossing) is artificial flies with barbless hooks only. To get there, you would go north on 395 toward Mammoth to the "Green Church" - so called becuase of the green church sitting out in the middle of nowhere. That's about 25 miles or so north of Bishop. You turn right on the road and drive another 8 or 9 miles to the bridge that crosses the Owens (Benton Crossing). You can fish north of the bridge. South of the bridge is closed this time of year. According to the reports from Sierra Drifters (http://www.sierradrifters.com), this area is apparently doing well right now.

You can fish the Owens also from Pleasant Valley Reservoir south toward Bishop. This area is also artificial flies with barbless hooks. Be careful the time of year you go, becuase at certain times of the year, this area is C&R only. To get here, you can drive about 10 mis north of Bishop to the road that is signed to Pleasant Valley Reservoir. Turn right on the road, drive 4 or 5 miles, and the road drops you into the campground. You can fishing all along the river here.

If you want to stay close to Bishop, there are two access points to the Lower Owens. At the "Y" on the north end of town, continue north on Highway 6 toward the Laws Railroad museum. Just before you get to the museum (about 5 miles?) you will come to a bridge that crosses the lower Owens. Park on your right. You can walk a good portion of the river up and downstream here. Or if your budget allows, you can hire a drift boat and drift the river from this point south. I have done both with good results. The second access point is a few miles south of Bishop. If you are travelling south on 395, you will want to look for Warm Springs Road. Turn left (east) on Warm Springs Road and drive to the bridge that crosses the Owens. Park here and fish in either direction. In theory, if you continue east on Warm Springs Road, there is a road (if I remember correctly, dirt) that takes you to Laws and the first access point discussed above. I've only taken that route once, and with a guide, so my memory is not as crisp as if I had driven it.

As I've mentioned in others posts on this board, this latter area of the Lower Owens is one of my favorities places to fish in the winter. I've been there in late Janaury through mid February, and fishing is as good as any that you will see during the summer in the high country.

Have fun!

troutdog
10-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Oh Yeah!!!! I wanna get up there before the closure. Who's gonna put up with One_Leg for ar least a weekend?

One_Leg

Does it hafta be a weekend? I am trying to get in a Sunday/Monday attack before the "closed sign" is up in the window.
All these Alper reports are making me stir crazy!

TD

Fisher-of-Men
10-13-2007, 06:08 AM
General Trout Season Ends November 15th. This area includes all fishable waters in Inyo & Mono counties EXCEPT ----> Pleasant Valley Reservior, the Owens River Gorge (section of the Owens above PVR but below Crowley) and The Lower Owens (section below PVR) whicih are open for trout fishing all year. Last season Hot Creek, the Upper Owens and the East Walker were included in the year around regs however there is still much debate on this so we'll have to see if it holds up again this year. Next time you're in Bishop, stop by the DFG office off of line street and pick up one of the Inyo/Mono reg books, there is a wealth of info in there and pretty much any question you have about regs specific to our area.

Peace,
Smitty[/quote]

That's good to know Smitty! :wink: What I need is a map that will section off the Owens into the different sections for me. Eventually, I think I could memorize all that info you gave out; but I am more visual and a map that outlined those areas would help tremendously!

Fisher-of-Men

retired/lasd
10-13-2007, 07:48 AM
I would like to clarify a few points on the Owens based on my 50 years of fishing the river. The river actually starts much further than Mammoth. The headwaters can be found off of the Owens River road, east of 395 which is about 10-12 miles north of the Mammoth cutoff. This is about 60 miles north of Bishop. The gorge starts below Crowley dam and the river is maintained at a constant 40 cfs per law. this area is difficult to get into.

The wild trout area south of pleasant valley res. known to many as the Chalk Bluffs is barbless flies and lures only with a zero limit. This is from the footbridge in the campground down to the large wooden sign along the Chalk Bluffs dirt road. This area is mostly Brown Trout.

The best access to the Lower Owens in the Bishop area is off of Hwy 6 Just south of the Shell gas station. East of Line Street in downtown Bishop, Warm Springs and Collins road South of Bishop. From the river at Line St. there is a dirt road that runs along the river that you can drive all the way to Collins road.

The Upper Owens North of Benton Crossing is now Open year around with gear and size restrictions, this area is pretty much fished by fly fishers only. The section of the river south of Benton down to the monument sign is closed from opening day until the Saturday before Memorial day. After that date the river is open to General regs. That section is then closed on 9/30 until the end of the season. ( you basically lose about 2 1/2 months of fishing that section.

From 10/1 you can still fish the Upper Owens from the Monument sign down to Lake Crowley until the seasons ends. During that 6 week period that section is restricted to barbless flies and lures with a 18 inch minimum size. The reason for this is that the trout are spawning.

There is a large section of the Upper Owens North of Benton Crossing that is on private ranch land which is posted with no trespassing, hunting or fishing signs. ( I would love to fish those waters as they must hold some big fish that have never seen a hook, lure or fly)

The DWP controls the flows of the Lower Owens and their decisions as to the flow rates can determine weather the fishing is good or bad. For example last year they ran the flows for almost 10 months at 600 or more CFS (considered flood stage) which pretty much made the river impossible to fish. Many areas the river over ran the banks.
Many people do not realize that the main water source for the City of Los Angeles is the water from the Owens River and all the creeks that flow into it, which in my opinion they darn near stole 100 years ago.

sktruth
10-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Thank you for the clarification retired/lasd I greatly appreciate it.

gwjones00
10-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks for setting me straight! I was trying to remember whether Arcularias Ranch was north of Mammoth or not. It sure was esier when then just shut everything down on November....