PDA

View Full Version : Pure luck session... and sending our condolences to the Commander.

bachiboy
04-28-2015, 04:08 PM
So, it’s been a while since I’ve put up a report, Not that I’ve had anything to report anyway. :Rolls Eyes: With a little coaxing from Lt. Bones, here it goes...

I’ve been working some long hours and through weekends and finally decided to take a breather and get in a session. Decided on an AO that I haven’t visited in a LONG time in a galaxy far, far away...paid the price in traffic and my dang feet didn’t hit the sand till 10:30. So, walked along without a tap for quite a while. Came up on some rocks that, since it was low tide, I was able to walk out on for a bit and reach the edge of some structure...or at least where it dropped off.

The whole layout in front of me was rock, covered in eel grass, probably only about a foot deep, two at best. Even looking at it, I was thinking that I was just ASKING to lose another LC...something I’m very good at.:Wink: So, pitched out a cast, kept the rod over my head to keep the lure from diving too deep and three cranks in, feel the LC stop. I kept tension on for a second or two and when I didn’t feel any tugging from something live, hit freespool to wait for a swell to rise the lure off the structure. Only thing was, as soon as I hit freespool, the rock started swimming hard. I engaged the reel, swung for the fence and started horsing as fast as I could...for about 7 or 8 cranks. Because I had him in freespool, the fish found home. I could still feel him thumping on the other end so I slacked way off and tried to wait him out. After a minute or so, I came tight and only felt rock, no thumps. So, decided to bite the bullet and just start walking backwards. Every couple steps I would stop and see if the hooks would straighten or, if it were kelp, just have some break free so I could save the LC. To my surprise I finally felt the line start to give like kelp was breaking off. Started cranking but hung up again. Repeated the process and it broke free again, only this time I feel a bunch of weight. I figure there’s a big wad of salad on but as I look out on the surface of the water, I see shiny bronze!:EyePop: The fish then starts to charge left, and there is no safe way to guide him. I had clamped down my drag before I started the break off process so he wasn’t going to take any line. I’d be dead anyway if he did cuz of all the rocks. It was do or die, either he was coming in or I was gonna break him off from pulling too hard, but I was not letting him back in the structure. Fortunately, I won. Got him over to some sand so he wouldn’t get hurt flopping around on dry rocks. took a glory shot and remove all three trebles from him...which were all bent. He swam away with a big thank you. Gave it a few more minutes and managed another rat 11” checker and called it a day.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/Cali20_zpsw8pm1fyn.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/Cali20_zpsw8pm1fyn.jpg.html)

Hope you all enjoyed the read!

Don

Side Note:
You may have noticed the absence of Arthur (Wingnut) from the boards in the last few months. I am sorry to say that he has been dealing with family matters. Back in February, Arthur lost his longtime canine companion, Wingnut Pug. Then, a few weeks ago, his father took a turn for the worst and, after a long battle with cancer, passed away last week. Our deepest condolences, Commander. You and your family are in your thoughts and prayers, and your S.W.A.T. family is here for you if and when you need us.:Sad:

SP Dan
04-28-2015, 04:24 PM
Hey .. hey .. hey! Brotha Don! ..... :UDaMan:

9:00 PM and I can finally set down at my desk and enjoy a good fish report!

That was pure skill and patience that landed that trophy Calico Sir!
You had me right there with you ... every step of the way! Great job landing your monstrous Calico!

You definitely deserved a hall pass for as hard as you've been working lately!

It was nice to read another one of your "on the edge of my seat" reports! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Brotha Arthur ..... may God continue to Bless you and all of your loved!
We love you Brotha ... Rhonda and Dan.

anchor3n1
04-28-2015, 04:32 PM
Hi Don

I'd say it was actually "pure" Don. Your report is classic Don - a great story with drama and suspense and a great ending!!!

I miss your reports and I miss hitting the sand with ya too :Big Grin:

Hope to see ya soon,

Nick

Arthur:

Noelle, Alexa and I are sad and are sorry for you loss dear friend.

Our prayers are with you,

Nick

bones
04-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Nice write up Mr Don.... I know how you roll because we have the same style when it comes to the mine field and LCs. You know as well as I do that a lot of nice checkers and other species are in those sketchy areas and it is simply a roll of the dice and a HIGH STICK with a SLOW ROLL hoping for that attack...LOL
I don't know about you but I pretty much hold my breath when I make one of those casts but a lot of the time it pays off in a big sorta way.
Your beautiful chunk is sure testimony to your willingness to take a chance with a 20 dollar bait!

Good job sir!

Looking forward to a northern trip with you and Arthur real soon. Our brother needs some serious healing time on the sand with a few close friends. Trust me when I say that I've shed quite a few tears while facing Poseidon with my feet on the sand. The waves and salt air have a way of healing the soul.
Sorry for your loss my dear friend Arthur.

----------<><

Edgar
04-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Don , thank you very much for the excellent report, its reports like these that have inspired me and many others to set goals and achieve them when it comes to fishing. To tell you the truth , not surprised at all that you landed that beauty . Happy that you got to get back on the sand and enjoy a beautiful day. Hope to see you soon one of these days , i really have a lot to get off my shoulders.Tight lines till then!

Edgar

Ps. Arthur , wish you the best sir , hope you recover soon from all the pain and stress you went through my friend!

Ifishtoolittle
04-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Nice, nice Checker Don! Great read too.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Wingnut. I hope all is well for you right now.

Badbeat
04-28-2015, 11:18 PM
Beautiful Calico Don. Your persistence, not luck, that got you the prize. :Wink:

Commander Wingnut: I will miss seeing Baby aka Wingnut Pug in the parting shots of your reports. :Neutral:
My sincerest condolences to the passing of your father. I'll see you Saturday at the memorial services brother Arthur.
If you need anything at all, give me a call.

Homefish
04-29-2015, 12:06 AM
Howdy Bachi! Thanks 4 the report, felt like I was there w/you! That's 1 BEAUTIFUL CAlICO! Love the color in the lower jaw!

Wingnut,
Sorry for your loss. I never met your Dad, but I'm sure he was a good man. He must have been,'cause I know you are!
Now get out there & fish like he would like you too.

Enjoy life, & do what you can to help others enjoy it as much as you do!

remington
04-29-2015, 08:14 PM
Well said brother. Thoughts & prayers to you & your family Arthur. Hopefully one day we will have a cure for all forms of cancer. God bless brother!

Brother Don,

What a beautiful checker and you even have a tape measure next to it! Great job my friend and I hope we can fish side by side targeting these bad boys real soon!

Thanks again brother, I freaking love that LC!

Kelly

iLLest
05-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Don,

Beautiful checker bro
Way to be patient, that's something I definitely have to work at. I wouldnt have played it so smoothly :LOL:

fishshep
05-11-2015, 10:15 PM
That,s a nice one !!!! :Big Grin:

Pm sent to you Arthur, and may HIS Peace and Comfort be with your Family.

bachiboy
05-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Hey .. hey .. hey! Brotha Don! ..... :UDaMan:

9:00 PM and I can finally set down at my desk and enjoy a good fish report!

That was pure skill and patience that landed that trophy Calico Sir!
You had me right there with you ... every step of the way! Great job landing your monstrous Calico!

You definitely deserved a hall pass for as hard as you've been working lately!

It was nice to read another one of your "on the edge of my seat" reports! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks Danimal! That fish had me dead to rights. Experience helped but can't deny there was a WHOLE lot of luck on my side.:Wink:

Hi Don

I'd say it was actually "pure" Don. Your report is classic Don - a great story with drama and suspense and a great ending!!!

I miss your reports and I miss hitting the sand with ya too :Big Grin:

Hope to see ya soon,

Nick

Thanks Nick! Looking forward to getting out there with you and the girls real soon!

Nice write up Mr Don.... I know how you roll because we have the same style when it comes to the mine field and LCs. You know as well as I do that a lot of nice checkers and other species are in those sketchy areas and it is simply a roll of the dice and a HIGH STICK with a SLOW ROLL hoping for that attack...LOL
I don't know about you but I pretty much hold my breath when I make one of those casts but a lot of the time it pays off in a big sorta way.
Your beautiful chunk is sure testimony to your willingness to take a chance with a 20 dollar bait!

Good job sir!

Looking forward to a northern trip with you and Arthur real soon. Our brother needs some serious healing time on the sand with a few close friends. Trust me when I say that I've shed quite a few tears while facing Poseidon with my feet on the sand. The waves and salt air have a way of healing the soul.
Sorry for your loss my dear friend Arthur.

----------<><
Like we always say when looking at the structure…first we worry about getting bit, then we'll worry about how the heck we're gonna get it out of there!:LOL: Looking forward to our outing. Up for a LONG hike?:whistle::OMG!:

Nice, nice Checker Don! Great read too.

Thanks Bryan! Been wondering if I was gonna get a shot at a 20" this year with all the strange/slow fishing conditions this year.

Beautiful Calico Don. Your persistence, not luck, that got you the prize. :Wink:

Thanks Binh! Persistence, yes, but definitely a lot of luck thrown into the mix.:Wink:

Howdy Bachi! Thanks 4 the report, felt like I was there w/you! That's 1 BEAUTIFUL CAlICO! Love the color in the lower jaw!

Thanks Jim! Looking forward to your pending checker salvage report.:Wink: It's coming…real soon.:Thumbs Up:

Brother Don,

What a beautiful checker and you even have a tape measure next to it! Great job my friend and I hope we can fish side by side targeting these bad boys real soon!

Thanks again brother, I freaking love that LC!

Kelly
Thanks Kelly! Looking forward to that checker hunt. May want to invest in a few of those LCs. Backups somehow always become a necessity when fishing the minefields.:LOL:

Don,

Beautiful checker bro
Way to be patient, that's something I definitely have to work at. I wouldnt have played it so smoothly :LOL:

Thanks Frank! Glad the patience paid off this time…doesn't always work but definitely worth a try.:Wink:

That,s a nice one !!!! :Big Grin:

Thanks Daniel! Not quite the quantity you've been racking up lately, but it more than made up for that in quality.:Wink:

PONTOON
05-19-2015, 07:22 PM
​Great report Don and that is one very nice fish! :Cool: