PDA

View Full Version : Pier J

LGOP
04-21-2015, 09:23 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows how to get to pier j.
Ive dropped a pin on google maps and and it always takes me to this t stop with two different gated entrance. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

DockRat
04-22-2015, 07:12 AM
Take the 710 all the way to the end and when you pass the Queen Mary stay to the right to Harbor Scenic that goes under the small bridge. Go to the end of the public fishing area and U turn into the public area.

BALLERONBUDGET
04-22-2015, 07:27 AM
1/4 mile in front of dome that used to house the spruce goose in the 80s....now used for the carnival crusie line terminal....; fishing sux there but atleast its prob the only public place u can literally tail gate and fish from back of ur truck .... hey people even bust out canopies and grills there! gud luck .. few macks and yfc croaker there, kinda ghetto dirty but atleast its free parking.. ; was the spot back in the good ole days..

LGOP
04-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I went today but it has some crazy semi traffic. I'll check it out tomorrow. I'll post picture and all that jazz.

DockRat
04-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Bonito, Sharks and Rays too.

Ifishtoolittle
04-22-2015, 08:20 PM
What was fishing like back then at Pier J? Epic? Giant fish?

BALLERONBUDGET
04-22-2015, 11:02 PM
for those that can remember, 80s there pier j area extended all the way to the end! Gated Parking lot would open 5am and almost wide open daily. ... Bonitos on the bubble and feather. No I'm not an old timer but then pops right hand kiddo and partner. 80s style: no sunblock no SPF clothing or uv sunglasses =made boys into men and no wussy whiners as kids are today. And I don't ever recall a portapotty back then.......piss between the rocks and run to the top if a cruiser liner came thru and made giant wake that cud sweep u off or leave u soaking wet!! Gud times....... Heck I've seen baby threshers come outta there!

Ifishtoolittle
04-22-2015, 11:09 PM
for those that can remember, 80s there pier j area extended all the way to the end! Gated Parking lot would open 5am and almost wide open daily. ... Bonitos on the bubble and feather. No I'm not an old timer but then pops right hand kiddo and partner. 80s style: no sunblock no SPF clothing or uv sunglasses =made boys into men and no wussy whiners as kids are today. And I don't ever recall a portapotty back then.......piss between the rocks and run to the top if a cruiser liner came thru and made giant wake that cud sweep u off or leave u soaking wet!! Gud times....... Heck I've seen baby threshers come outta there!

Wow, that sounds like it was fun! Got any pics of it? And, there's nothing wussy about protecting yourself against UV rays. Skin lesions= less time on the water.

BALLERONBUDGET
04-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Yeah u gotta remember like i said it was early 80s. No online fish reports , weather forecast or etc. pops wake u up and said lets go fish ! Ud be lucky if to bring a pnj sandwich and a soda to last u all day ! I only remember an occasional pikup style lunch truck wud come by and feed the fisherman.

LGOP
04-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Well, I found pier j. Tossed out a dropper loop with squid and shrimp. Nothing on the shrimp and two mackerels on with squid strips. It was really loud with the semi and rail train behind us. Hopefully better fishing next time. Can't upload pictures from the phone. Will update later.

LGOP

update:

here are the pictures of Pier J461354613646137