PDA

View Full Version : The Cost of Trout Fishing

DarkShadow
04-16-2015, 02:26 PM
Very interesting Editorial.

Hatcheries, good or bad?

On the one hand, they do bastardize the native species and are used as man's excuse just in case their ventures do end up destroying a habitat, because if you do destroy the native species, you can always 're-stock' with Frankenstein fish.

On the other hand, they do provide hatchery fish for anglers to enjoy. Hatcheries have also saved some native species (like the California Golden Trout) after interbreeding caused hybridization with the native residents.

What say you?

I won't pull a Devore and post the entire thing. You can click here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/11/opinion/the-cost-of-trout-fishing.html

City Dad
04-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Very interesting Editorial.

Hatcheries, good or bad?

On the one hand, they do bastardize the native species and are used as man's excuse just in case their ventures do end up destroying a habitat, because if you do destroy the native species, you can always 're-stock' with Frankenstein fish.

On the other hand, they do provide hatchery fish for anglers to enjoy. Hatcheries have also saved some native species (like the California Golden Trout) after interbreeding caused hybridization with the native residents.

What say you?

I won't pull a Devore and post the entire thing. You can click here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/11/opinion/the-cost-of-trout-fishing.html

I'm cool with hatcheries insofar as they help perpetuate species (they are the only reason salmon and steelhead runs still exist in the Columbia River basin.)

In in terms of stocking for recreational purposes - like city parks, etc. - I'd think the good' ol tilapia a way better choice.

I've never really considered the environmental impact of trout hatcheries. It'd be interesting to know where the writer got his data...

tacklejunkie
04-30-2015, 06:28 AM
Zomg trout murder everything keep them away! =o
lol trout are baitfish up here

seal
04-30-2015, 08:13 AM
Without the plants to sustain and supplement the trout population they'd have to go to strictly catch and release in most waters. I don't agree that the genetics are a problem there are many examples of stocked trout becoming extremely beautiful, healthy and hard fighting fish but to establish that type of fishery many steps need to be taken that the DFW is not prepared to take on and that's why their BS idea about stocking sub catchable fish is ridiculous.

One of the problems I see is the spoiled nature of many anglers these days, some think 3+ lbs. trout should be the norm. Kids should be happy with a pan sized trout but they've grown up on pay to fish triploids. Oh by the way going to strictly triploid fish is going to screw up what is an amazing example of proper fishery balance that is Crowley lake.

By the way this article sounds like it was written by a vegan, tree hugging, liberal communist, oh and was also probably a catch and release fly fishermen. Doesn't he realize the importance of the feeding of our invasive striper populations?