PDA

View Full Version : Tough day on the dam

Newfish123
04-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Went out from 8-10 am. Threw topwater lures for 2 hours and didn't even get a bite did see 1 fish in the shallows, looked like a trout. I threw bone super spook, red and white pencil popper and rainbow trout pencil popper. I must have thrown them 200 times combined. Use a medium /fast retrieve. Any ideas to get stripers from the dam? Maybe they just weren't biting today. This was my first time a castiac. Next time I will bring some bait too.

Thanks!

koifish
04-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Went out from 8-10 am. Threw topwater lures for 2 hours and didn't even get a bite did see 1 fish in the shallows, looked like a trout. I threw bone super spook, red and white pencil popper and rainbow trout pencil popper. I must have thrown them 200 times combined. Use a medium /fast retrieve. Any ideas to get stripers from the dam? Maybe they just weren't biting today. This was my first time a castiac. Next time I will bring some bait too.

Thanks!
you just dont read a report above.

Newfish123
04-13-2015, 04:06 PM
you just dont read a report above.
What you said makes no sense.

dkinla
04-13-2015, 09:03 PM

Thanks!

hey Newfish... sorry to hear you skunked from the dam... but listen.. I'm no topwater expert or striped bass expert for that matter... but I think you would be able to maximize your chances of getting a bite with your topwater lures after a trout plant... maybe the same day or the next day or two... that's when all the guys on here head out there and try to land the big one!

I rarely see anybody else out there throwing topwater lures on just any 'ol random day trying to get a bite... so I think even if you headed out there everyday and threw your lures for a few hours each day... you still wouldn't have much luck. Try contacting one of the guys here who post good results from throwing topwater lures, and maybe they can help you out more. I have zero experience with topwater.