PDA

View Full Version : DVL Before The Close

Big-Bob
04-08-2015, 05:07 PM
As a lot of you know I spend most of my time fishing Skinner, but with so much boat traffic lately I decided to hit DVL before it closes. I fished there the past two days and did very well both days. The majority of the fish were caught from noonish-6pm.

I was using brush hogs with red flake on straight 10# fireline and the guy on the back of the boat(elbowlayer) was using a mix of plastics. Six of our fish came from the West dam and the rest came from various points around the lake. I had a 3+# fish average with a nice 5 and change bass. All fish were caught in water 20ft or less.

If anyone is considering hitting the lake before it closes I would not think twice. If anyone does go out, the wind is kicking up in the afternoon which means there are waves on the lake! It is worth it to stick it out just make sure you wear a jacket if you cross the middle of the lake.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k610/RJosephPowell/3C26C566-EF8E-4669-8496-C95B514913BA_zpskvyex5tg.jpg (http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/RJosephPowell/media/3C26C566-EF8E-4669-8496-C95B514913BA_zpskvyex5tg.jpg.html)

Here is a current picture of the water level.
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k610/RJosephPowell/F6495BBC-E040-401F-9780-09F85639C2C1_zps8cpkqgrv.jpg (http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/RJosephPowell/media/F6495BBC-E040-401F-9780-09F85639C2C1_zps8cpkqgrv.jpg.html)

JAG107
04-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Wow! Thanks for the report, glad you had a successful day. It's really sad to see it like this, but interesting nonetheless. I've only seen the lake at full pool mostly, haven't been in a couple years. I didn't know there were islands straight out from the docks, that's crazy! That's one long launch ramp too...

troutman27
04-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the report...heading there tomorrow!

HawgZWylde
04-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Good job and thanks for the post. We were out there yesterday and we were doing quite well all over the lake. And the fishing was getting better as the day progressed. Unfortunately the starter in our boat went out at about 11:30. I knew it was going to be a hot afternoon bite, gaaahhh...

TUNAVIC
04-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Nice Bass,sorry to see the lake look like that though,thanks for the report.

Cya Tuna Vic

Stinkbait
04-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Good job and thanks for the post. We were out there yesterday and we were doing quite well all over the lake. And the fishing was getting better as the day progressed. Unfortunately the starter in our boat went out at about 11:30. I knew it was going to be a hot afternoon bite, gaaahhh...

Started for me today at about 10, not a bite prior. Mostly buck largies with a single brown bass thrown in.
They were eating the jig head and creature bait combo on the fall reaction style, no TR even used. Nice not having to use the fairy wand much.

The wind was a pain, not due to strength, but due to inconsistency. It was all mixed up due to a post front conditions. I was drifting circles ;). Early afternoon the wind became more consistent out of the west. I was waiting for the bass to stack up on the western facing banks, but had to split to try and beat traffic back to the OC.

noleash
04-08-2015, 10:24 PM
D.V.L....Creature....Bait....Ing....=....3-6#ers...AVG....Fish!... "."!: Cool:

ddoskocil
04-09-2015, 07:25 AM
Very nice report - I'll be there one more time this weekend too...

P.A.W.
04-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Very nice report - I'll be there one more time this weekend too...

Good choice Darren. I was at Skinner today (Thursday) and there were 20 boats on the west end alone. Add to that a boat in almost every cove elsewhere.

ddoskocil
04-10-2015, 07:45 AM
That's rough, Pat. Looks like this summer will be a saltwater one...

inthroughtheocean
04-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Went out today. Was pretty rough. I guess the weather change and water temp drop has made fishing slow. IDK.

Big-Bob
04-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Went out today. Was pretty rough. I guess the weather change and water temp drop has made fishing slow. IDK.

What were you using?

I was thinking about giving it another shot this weekend if I can talk the old lady into it.

inthroughtheocean
04-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Tried fishing senkos and also tried drop shotting a roboworm. The water temp is at around 65 so maybe thats why.

Fnguyen5992
04-10-2015, 10:02 PM
What areas were you fishing? Location at the time of day helps.

ART HILL
04-11-2015, 07:25 PM

I was out there yesterday as well, but we found the bite quite good. Found fish from on the bank, out to 22 feet. Also saw lots of fry. Fish were eating both the Senko's and the dropshot.

noleash
04-11-2015, 07:55 PM
D.V.L....Creature....Bait....Ing....=....3-6#ers...AVG....Fish!... "."!: Cool:

Think outside the HERDING mentality! Lots of active fish suspending out over open water stucture spots! Long ..... Fan casting with slooow sinking baits into current then let sink! If fish don't relate your bait to YOU then BOOM another fish on!:EyePop:

Big-Bob
04-11-2015, 08:02 PM
I was out there again today and did decent but didn't catch any big ones. I hit the water around 9:30. I really wanted to fish the west dam but there were boats every 30 yards or so. Went to the north dam and started picking them up. I was throwing the same bait as the other day. Zoom baby brush hogs in green pumpkin with red flake on 10# braids.

Some of the people at the lake make me laugh. Come into a spot full throttle pull up right against shore/ dam ladder and look for fish, don't see a fish and full throttle away. This happened 4 times today and I would give it 10-15 and good by the spot and fish on. I prob made 15-20 passes on the north dam.

Good luck out there guys on the final days.

P.A.W.
04-12-2015, 05:54 AM
Think outside the HERDING mentality! Lots of active fish suspending out over open water stucture spots! Long ..... Fan casting with slooow sinking baits into current then let sink! If fish don't relate your bait to YOU then BOOM another fish on!:EyePop:

This^ For those guys coming to Skinner when the lake closes.... keep some distance from your target fish. The water is clear and the lake is small with lots of pressure.

Baja1ab
04-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Went out today with a buddy and my little guy. We boated a ton of fish - no monsters - but we had a great time. Definitely a bitter sweet end to a cut-short spring bite at DVL. All bites were on senkos and flukes in 1-25' of water all over the lake

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee425/baja1ab/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zps64156f4a.jpg

At tag out time, Stan (I'm pretty sure that's his name), said he heard that unless a miracle is in CA's future, MWD is going to let the lake go down to 1/4 capacity. He said this would leave the east end almost totally dry. This isn't official information or anything - just what he heard - but wow, what a thing to hear. Sucks if true!

noleash
04-13-2015, 06:44 AM
Went out today with a buddy and my little guy. We boated a ton of fish - no monsters - but we had a great time. Definitely a bitter sweet end to a cut-short spring bite at DVL. All bites were on senkos and flukes in 1-25' of water all over the lake

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee425/baja1ab/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zps64156f4a.jpg

At tag out time, Stan (I'm pretty sure that's his name), said he heard that unless a miracle is in CA's future, MWD is going to let the lake go down to 1/4 capacity. He said this would leave the east end almost totally dry. This isn't official information or anything - just what he heard - but wow, what a thing to hear. Sucks if true!

I don't know baja1ab.....That fish is pretty frigging HUGE in relation to little Mikey....Good Dading on your part!!!:Big Grin:

gcopple
04-14-2015, 07:05 PM
Good luck with that.

DEVOREFLYER
04-14-2015, 08:17 PM
Last day is tomorrow! Who's participating in OCCUPY DVL? The more people we have protesting and staying on the water the better! Who are they to kick us off our lake? We pay taxes and it's our, the people's, water. I pay my water bill. Who are they to take our water and kick us off?

LOL...Please post have much the fine was when you are cited.