PDA

View Full Version : Perris - Electric Shock Fish Survey

Stinkbait
04-02-2015, 07:01 PM
Witnessed a fish survey done today by electric shock. I wonder if it hurts the fry, eggs etc...Why do it around the spawn? They were dip netting them after they floated to the surface and then dumped them in a bin in the middle of the boat. Saw one or two get by the netters. I did not near the fish hit water in the bin, so I wonder if they were going to kill them for research. IDK, just speculation.

The spots I saw them hit were the E points of and entire S side of island and from about mid dam all the way S to the inflow tower area. The biggest fish I saw netted was maybe 5 lbs out of about 12 floaters I witnessed.

BTW, there are still some nice Kentucky spots in the lake. Caught a few to maybe three pounds. Perfect specimen footballs. Found my fish late late morning today. Not one crankbait or fluke fish all day.

chompot
04-02-2015, 08:10 PM
BTW, there are still some nice Kentucky spots in the lake. Caught a few to maybe three pounds. Perfect specimen footballs. Found my fish late late morning today. Not one crankbait or fluke fish all day.

I would love to see pics of those spots.

Ifishtoolittle
04-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Were you trolling for a bite?

Misfitdog
04-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Interesting the Reaction Bite was Wide open for me today , never even had to break out the drop shot rod ... It was a Good day to be on the water , especially early when the cloud cover was thick and the wind was blowing :Big Grin:

Stinkbait
04-02-2015, 09:18 PM
I would love to see pics of those spots.

Sorry, you will have to accept a complete strangers word for it ;) Very well defined lateral line and markings. Very green, much prettier than a LMB. Jaw hinge did not extend past eye. Rough tongue patch.

Caught tons of them years ago in the marina rocks when the water was much higher.

Stinkbait
04-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Were you trolling for a bite?

Caught them on plastics.

kwin
04-03-2015, 12:39 PM
We were taking only BG and RE to stock a new pond on our Imperial Wildlife Area. It will be open to the public in the near future. We move them now so they will spawn in the new pond and turn a couple hundred into thousands.

BTW, there are no spotted bass in Lake Perris, they have been extirpated.

Stinkbait
04-03-2015, 01:19 PM
We were taking only BG and RE to stock a new pond on our Imperial Wildlife Area. It will be open to the public in the near future. We move them now so they will spawn in the new pond and turn a couple hundred into thousands.

How has the spotted bass been determined to no longer exist at Perris? I am 99.99% sure I caught a few yesterday, unless there was interbreeding going on between the Floridas and Kentuckys way back when.

fishmounter
04-03-2015, 11:02 PM
..And they were Alabama Spotted Bass, not Kentucky. There still are some hybrid LMB/ASB in the lake. Get one every once in a while.

d1LedHed
04-04-2015, 04:56 AM
There are spotted bass in Lake Perris!. Like Stinkbait - we caught them last year (in the places he's mentioning) and we don't fish for bass. There are hybrids as well. We have caught bass that don't jump, corner of the jaw did not pass the eye, with very rough patches on the tongue. They maybe hybridized as well but they are displaying a lot more spotted bass characteristics then the largemouth. Just because they aren't shocked up - doesn't mean they ain't there.
Should've taken the fish from DVL - last month - probably have a higher survival rate.

Was a wide open bite on the BGs too - till the shockers showed up....

inthroughtheocean
04-04-2015, 08:24 AM
You've caught spotted bass in Lake Perris? Pics or it didn't happen.

HawgZWylde
04-04-2015, 09:05 AM
You've caught spotted bass in Lake Perris? Pics or it didn't happen.

I could post a pic with an LMB and a Spot side by side and it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to discern between the two...

BentRod
04-04-2015, 09:46 AM
I could post a pic with an LMB and a Spot side by side and it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to discern between the two...

True^^^^ sometimes even the LM at DVL look like spots!

HawgZWylde
04-04-2015, 09:58 AM
True^^^^ sometimes even the LM at DVL look like spots!

Yup. And I swear some of the LMB's I've caught there have so much gold on top, smaller than normal mouths and with no lateral lines, they look like a Smallie/LMB hybrid. According to some articles I've read it is possible...

BentRod
04-04-2015, 02:09 PM
^^^^^^^Could be

noleash
04-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Yup. And I swear some of the LMB's I've caught there have so much gold on top, smaller than normal mouths and with no lateral lines, they look like a Smallie/LMB hybrid. According to some articles I've read it is possible...

Guys at Last Chance told me that what I had been catching were infact called Meanmouth bass! A cross breed between a LMB and SMB!:EyePop: :Cool:

HawgZWylde
04-04-2015, 05:07 PM
Guys at Last Chance told me that what I had been catching were infact called Meanmouth bass! A cross breed between a LMB and SMB!:EyePop: :Cool:

The same article I was telling BentRod above about called them the same thing. Fight like a Smallie but with LMB girth...

BentRod
04-04-2015, 05:09 PM
Interesting stuff!

Stinkbait
04-04-2015, 05:25 PM
..And they were Alabama Spotted Bass, not Kentucky. There still are some hybrid LMB/ASB in the lake. Get one every once in a while.

So they originated in Alabama, but are also called Kentuckys, which are another sub species of the spotted bass.
http://www.landbigfish.com/articles/default.cfm?ID=1108
http://www.outdooralabama.com/alabama-bass

HawgZWylde
04-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Interesting stuff!

Check this out;
http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/hybrid-black-bass/

jerdog
04-04-2015, 06:55 PM
I've been fishing Lake Perris since the early 1980's. The lake was originally stocked with Alabama Spotted Bass and BlueGill. Back then the rangers told me Perris is the perfect lake for the Alabama Spots to grow large. Also, the Crappie and Florida strain LMB were introduced by fisherman I've been told. This is the first time I've heard them called Kentucky Spots. I learn something new everyday.

A little article from back in the day
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-01-31/sports/sp-2497_1_spotted-bass

BentRod
04-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Check this out;
http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/hybrid-black-bass/

wow didn't know anything about this till now. How about the girl and dog getting attacked, crazy sh**

HawgZWylde
04-04-2015, 08:51 PM
wow didn't know anything about this till now. How about the girl and dog getting attacked, crazy sh**

I know pretty bizarre isn't it. Aggressive is an understatement...

chompot
04-04-2015, 09:28 PM

I like this little project for when I will be hunting Wister next season. I sure hope the cormorants don't wipe that thing out.

inthroughtheocean
04-05-2015, 07:42 PM

Yet we're all of a sudden experts at identifying spotted bass? Interesting.

HawgZWylde
04-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Yet we're all of a sudden experts at identifying spotted bass? Interesting.

Really? Who said that?

Stormcrow
04-06-2015, 12:11 PM
I believe there are a couple of different genetic lines at DVL...sub populations with somewhat distinct genotypes....and these are LMB...I am almost positive there are still spots in Perris. But Hawgzy is right, some of those DVL largies look like spots. Its amazing.

kwin
04-06-2015, 03:53 PM
In 12 years, I have sampled thousands of bass from Lake Perris, there are no spotted bass in Lake Perris. I've sampled thousands of bass from DVL, there are no spotted bass in DVL either.

noleash
04-06-2015, 04:12 PM
In 12 years, I have sampled thousands of bass from Lake Perris, there are no spotted bass in Lake Perris. I've sampled thousands of bass from DVL, there are no spotted bass in DVL either.
I've seen a few SPOTTED BASS up here at the liquor store in Hemet! ...:LOL:

DarkShadow
04-06-2015, 04:28 PM

But, but, but...I caught one!!!

/sarcasm

Face it, no more spots in Perris. Even though how hard you claim the weird largemouth you claim was a spot, wasn't.

Stinkbait
04-06-2015, 04:51 PM
So it was only a trophy spot fishery in the 80s and 90s ?

chompot
04-06-2015, 05:02 PM
But Hawgzy is right, some of those DVL largies look like spots. Its amazing.

I think this is common many places. I have caught many largemouth at puddlestone that had that spot build, not spots.

Maybe just has to due with passed on genetics of some largemouth.... who knows.

Stormcrow
04-06-2015, 08:32 PM

I wonder what happened to them

HuskerRod
04-07-2015, 12:25 PM
Havent you guys ever seen Jurassic Park.........................."Nature has a way". Couldn't their be one spotted bass, Alabama or Kentucky, in Perris............................somewhere??? I mean you got Flatties, Stripers, crappie, carp, and someone once told me they caught a smallie out of there and none of those fish were stocked.

JigStop
04-07-2015, 03:43 PM
We know the DFG hides the truth sometimes. Especially when they are close to retirement. This whole Jerry Brown thing giving 80% of the water to the pistacio and almond farmers is sickning. Lake oroville is going to dry up.................which reminds me looking at those pictures, looks like they had the same strategy there as they did for DVL, no fish structure.

fishmounter
04-07-2015, 07:26 PM
My buddy, who is a LP regular and keeps a boat there, watched the shockers take some very big Bluegill and Redear Sunfish out of the lake. It's just too bad that they didn't harvest the smaller ones, which would handle the stress of being shocked, handled and and moved to completely new habitat much better than the larger older fish. I know they are "just panfish", but there's quite a few fishermen that target these giant Florida coppernose Bluegill and Redear.

HuskerRod
04-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Well at least some pond in imperial county will reap the benefits. Hopefully someone will actually go through the trouble to go out to that desolate dust bowl of an area and do some catching.

HuskerRod
04-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Now gang i am gonna ask the 10,000,000 dollar question that you all are dying to ask yourselves. No need to thank me just pm me the gps coordinates of some of your best spots at both dvl and perris. So here goes....what exactly did happen to the spotted bass at perris?

A. Did the bucket brigade clean them out
b. Did the florida strain largies out compete them
c. All the above
d. None of the above

cutbait
04-07-2015, 07:54 PM
We know the DFG hides the truth sometimes. Especially when they are close to retirement. This whole Jerry Brown thing giving 80% of the water to the pistacio and almond farmers is sickning. Lake oroville is going to dry up.................which reminds me looking at those pictures, looks like they had the same strategy there as they did for DVL, no fish structure.

Jerry brown isn't giving 80% to farmers. It's a standing contract from the 60's. Your just spewing crap you've read or heard somewhere.

You want more water in DVL? Come up with 44.7 BILLION in Californias economy that AG produces and you can have some of that 80%

cutbait
04-07-2015, 07:58 PM

Lake Oroville was built SOLELY for water storage and deliveries..

It is not a natural lake

it is performing as desinged.

Being man made you realize it's empty because of a drought, right? It's not some natural body of water god made for man to recreate on.

It is built for storage and deliveries in dry months.

You really need to educate yourself as to the functions and purposes of Californias reservoirs

fishmounter
04-07-2015, 08:05 PM
HuskerRod- The answer is undoubtedly b.

Baja1ab
04-07-2015, 09:21 PM
Lake Oroville was built SOLELY for water storage and deliveries..

It is not a natural lake

it is performing as desinged.

Being man made you realize it's empty because of a drought, right? It's not some natural body of water god made for man to recreate on.

It is built for storage and deliveries in dry months.

You really need to educate yourself as to the functions and purposes of Californias reservoirs

You mean they weren't made so I can catch fishies?

jerdog
04-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Now gang i am gonna ask the 10,000,000 dollar question that you all are dying to ask yourselves. No need to thank me just pm me the gps coordinates of some of your best spots at both dvl and perris. So here goes....what exactly did happen to the spotted bass at perris?

c. All the above
d. None of the above

I'm guessing "b."

DarkShadow
04-07-2015, 10:50 PM
I blame the Florida strain bluegills.

gcopple
04-08-2015, 07:37 AM

c. All the above
d. None of the above

I would go with C...some combo of everything. spots are very aggressive fish and i think they would get their fair share of food even with florida strain largemouth being introduced. smallies are starting to become more and more prevalent at DVL despite both striper and florida largemouth, i don't see why an established population of spots, and world class size spots, couldn't co habituate an area with largemouth. northern cali lakes have largemouth and spots and the spots dominate those lakes. those reasons are why i would feel it has to be a combo of multiple aspects, not just the introduction of largemouth.

DarkShadow
04-08-2015, 08:58 AM
http://i.imgur.com/zM0ft66.png

seal
04-08-2015, 11:20 AM
No DS that information is completely wrong! Obviously it was the bucket brigade who done it.

HuskerRod
04-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Guys Im more confused now then when I first posted the a,b,c,d multiple guess assessment. I've heard the florida largies out competed the the spots for supremacy. I've heard the bucket brigade did them in. I've heard all of the above. And I've even heard the Florida Strain Gills did them in thanks to input from D.S. and that wasn't even a choice on my multiple guess assessment.

Does anyone know how to target spots? Do they essentially bite on the same areas and on the same baits as "regular DFG issue" largemouth? Or do I need to buy 100's of dollars of additional tackle when all I throw are dropshots anyways? Im gonna have to go out there and put this discussion to rest by going out to Perris leaving "no nook uncrannied", "no turn unstoned" putting a "Spottie" in the boat and maybe "kill one bird with two stones" and get a smallie.

parkermann2
04-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Could they be offspring of spots and florida strain? Or would they not breed together?

HuskerRod
04-08-2015, 12:11 PM
No DS that information is completely wrong! Obviously it was the bucket brigade who done it.

Seal, when in doubt I blame the bucket brigade for most things. Wouldn't it be a neat world if everyone practiced 100% catch and release.

HuskerRod
04-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Could they be offspring of spots and florida strain? Or would they not breed together?

Oh geez, now I'm really confused. That's an interesting point. They could be a several generations removed from the original cross of the two and still exhibit some of the characteristics of both spots/largies I would assume.

gcopple
04-08-2015, 01:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/zM0ft66.png

i can understand maybe these aggressive gills chasing off smaller spots from beds but when perris was holding world record calliber magnum spots i find it hard to believe that a gill would push a 4lb - 9lb spottie off its bed. i understand smaller fish but the bigger females should have still had successful spawns. of course this is just my thoughts but i can't see a 1lb gill push a 5lb spot off its bed. I can see a falloff over time but considering the quality of spotted bass fishery it was there should have a been a large breeding population that was big enough to not be pushed around by a bluegill. of course, i have no data or anything to back this up, just my own personal observations and what i have learned through the web and fishing shows but i just find the bluegill idea difficult to accept. could it be one of many factors, i'm sure it is, but to blame it solely on the florida bluegill's i don't buy it.

etucker1959
04-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Guys Im more confused now then when I first posted the a,b,c,d multiple guess assessment. I've heard the florida largies out competed the the spots for supremacy. I've heard the bucket brigade did them in. I've heard all of the above. And I've even heard the Florida Strain Gills did them in thanks to input from D.S. and that wasn't even a choice on my multiple guess assessment.

Does anyone know how to target spots? Do they essentially bite on the same areas and on the same baits as "regular DFG issue" largemouth? Or do I need to buy 100's of dollars of additional tackle when all I throw are dropshots anyways? Im gonna have to go out there and put this discussion to rest by going out to Perris leaving "no nook uncrannied", "no turn unstoned" putting a "Spottie" in the boat and maybe "kill one bird with two stones" and get a smallie.
HuskerRod, you got a lot of people now interested in the Truth. Is there any remaining Spots in Lake Perris????? This case is very similar to the Big foot and UFO question are they real??????? The government official (Kwin) say's no!!!! Yet there are angler's (witness's) to have said they have caught them. The most obvious solution is,"BRING IN A BODY FOR PROOF!!!!" So the next time any of you boys catch a Bass that you swear is a spot, "Kill it and Freeze it." Then take it to any DFW official who has the Credentials to verify it's species and "END THIS QUESTION ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!" lol

DarkShadow
04-08-2015, 02:24 PM
So the next time any of you boys catch a Bass that you swear is a spot, "Kill it and Freeze it." Then take it to any DFW official who has the Credentials to verify it's species and "END THIS QUESTION ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!" lol

Great, so we'll be getting a thousand dipheads who think they're future ichthyologists claiming the bass they caught was a spot because it had spots.

How about we don't do that, and everyone just come to the realization that there are no more spots in Perris, and you release your largemouth?

etucker1959
04-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Great, so we'll be getting a thousand dipheads who think they're future ichthyologists claiming the bass they caught was a spot because it had spots.

How about we don't do that, and everyone just come to the realization that there are no more spots in Perris, and you release your largemouth?

I rarely ever disagree with you DS, but on this one I do. I think it's worth knowning, "What did happen to the spots in Lake Perris????"
As for killing a few innocent Bass in the name of science, "I do think it's worth it!!!!!!!"

DarkShadow
04-08-2015, 04:09 PM
"What did happen to the spots in Lake Perris????"

And what is going to come about learning the answer to that question?

(Aside from wasting resources from an already strapped DFW)

How about we ask, "How much damage do stripers really do to fisheries in small landlocked reservoirs in Southern California and what can we do to prevent this in the future?"

Let's get the answer to that first before we start analyzing why side projects from the DFG in the 70s went sideways.

cutbait
04-08-2015, 04:17 PM
I rarely ever disagree with you DS"

DS, your honest opinion of that statement please

Remember, honest

inthroughtheocean
04-08-2015, 06:33 PM
"What did happen to the spots in Lake Perris????"

My guess is that the largemouth bass kicked their asses. Which is rare because I think spots usually outcompete largemouths. Though, it's probably because Perris largemouth are hardcore and gangster.

HawgZWylde
04-08-2015, 06:45 PM
i can understand maybe these aggressive gills chasing off smaller spots from beds but when perris was holding world record calliber magnum spots i find it hard to believe that a gill would push a 4lb - 9lb spottie off its bed. i understand smaller fish but the bigger females should have still had successful spawns. of course this is just my thoughts but i can't see a 1lb gill push a 5lb spot off its bed. I can see a falloff over time but considering the quality of spotted bass fishery it was there should have a been a large breeding population that was big enough to not be pushed around by a bluegill. of course, i have no data or anything to back this up, just my own personal observations and what i have learned through the web and fishing shows but i just find the bluegill idea difficult to accept. could it be one of many factors, i'm sure it is, but to blame it solely on the florida bluegill's i don't buy it.

Back in the day Perris stratified and stagnated before the water circulator was installed. Perhaps a combo of lake stratification, stagnation, the Bucket Brigades, Florida strain LMB and Southeastern Gills did them in...

DEVOREFLYER
04-08-2015, 06:50 PM
From the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources:

Spotted bass (Micropterus punctulatus)

Description: (Anatomy of a Fish)
The spotted bass has a gold-green body with dark olive mottling that fades to a yellow-white belly. It has small black spots below a dark band along the middle of its side with a distinct black spot on the body right before the tail or caudal fin. The spotted bass’ large mouth extends to the rear edge of the eye, but not beyond. Spotted bass have teeth on their tongue.

Range:
Upper Savannah River drainage, primarily lakes Keowee, Russell, Jocassee and Hartwell; also introduced into tributaries of the Enoree, Saluda and Savannah rivers and in the Catawba River reservoirs upstream of the state line.

Average Length: 11.8-24 inches

Average Size: 1-3 pounds

South Carolina State Record: 8-pounds, 5-ounces (2001)

Life Expectancy: Approximately 5 years

Preferred Habitat

The spotted bass is found in medium to large cool and warm mountain streams and reservoirs. It adapts well and outcompetes other black basses such as the largemouth or smallmouth as it is more tolerant of excess sediment.

Food Habits

Major foods for spotted bass are crayfish, aquatic insects and fish such as shad. Spotted bass eat fewer fish than other blackbass species.

Spawning

Spotted bass reach sexual maturity at age 2 or 3 and begin spawning activity in April and May when water temperatures reach 65°F.
Males construct shallow saucer-shaped nests on soft, clay bottoms or on gravel bars.
The female will lay 3,000 to 30,000 eggs.
The male guards the nest with eggs hatching in 4 or 5 days.

Miscellaneous

Spotted bass are not native and readily hybridize with other black bass species such as the redeye bass.

Commonly Mistaken Species

Some species of fish that are commonly mistaken for this species:

Largemouth bass
Redeye bass
Smallmouth bass

DarkShadow
04-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Though, it's probably because Perris largemouth are hardcore and gangster.

http://www.adventure-journal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/gangstafish02.jpg

inthroughtheocean
04-08-2015, 08:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wzfqquB.jpg

Stinkbait
04-08-2015, 09:28 PM
Could it be the DFG (W) wants the spotted bass to be "gone" for some environmental or biological region?

Wide open spotty bite on the arroyo toad.....:)

HuskerRod
04-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Did anybody catch the episode of Unsolved Mysteries" with Robert Stack of the alleged Lake Perris Spotted bass. Some guy had a cousin who had a friend who hooked one and lost it at the boat in 2007. The whole debate is shrouded in mystery and a possible coverup is alleged. Also, alleged, picture evidence of a spot, but the picture is out of focus and grainy. The truth is out there....somewhere

shinbob
04-08-2015, 10:24 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/In_Search_of_Title_Screen.jpg

HuskerRod
04-08-2015, 10:37 PM
"In Search of..."......i belive that was narrated by "spock". Good stuff

gcopple
04-09-2015, 07:49 AM
Back in the day Perris stratified and stagnated before the water circulator was installed. Perhaps a combo of lake stratification, stagnation, the Bucket Brigades, Florida strain LMB and Southeastern Gills did them in...

this i would believe. some combo of all the factors that have been presented.

seal
04-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Wouldn't it be a neat world if everyone practiced 100% catch and release.

Let me think about that for a second?

My answer is no.

seal
04-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Funny thing about this thread. I've waited and waited and waited for someone to post a picture of the spotted bass that many have claimed to have caught, knowing that such a special catch of a supposed extinct species (out of Perris at least) would normally be documented in a picture. If a picture existed then maybe the experts could verify the possibility it could be a spot or discredit it altogether.

Oh well guess this is the Lockness monster or Bigfoot of lake Perris, many believe it exists but no real proof.

HuskerRod
04-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Funny thing about this thread. I've waited and waited and waited for someone to post a picture of the spotted bass that many have claimed to have caught, knowing that such a special catch of a supposed extinct species (out of Perris at least) would normally be documented in a picture. If a picture existed then maybe the experts could verify the possibility it could be a spot or discredit it altogether.

Oh well guess this is the Lockness monster or Bigfoot of lake Perris, many believe it exists but no real proof.

Seal,

The whole thing is shrouded in mystery. The truth is out there somewhere. Its up to us as a people to band together, find the truth beyond any reasonable doubt, and go from there.

Robert Stack, 2006

Stinkbait
04-09-2015, 11:41 AM

You are right, as the OP I thought nothing of my catch because I thought there was a small population of them. Didn't know they were supposedly no longer in Perris.

Stormcrow
04-09-2015, 12:58 PM
This thread is turning HILARIOUS....:Popcorn:

DarkShadow
04-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Are we sure it wasn't aliens that beamed the spotted bass out to Nacimiento? Or Oroville?

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Ancient-Aliens.jpg

But yes, I caught a bunch of spots last week outta Perris. Just didn't take a picture.

ghost2uu
04-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Once commercial agriculture has his way you will be able to walk across Oroville and pick up all the dried out spotties you want. You might have to dust them off a bit. But since some back room water deals from the 60's were made we better drain them all cause that is what they are there for. To hell with the Chinook salmon that spawn in the Feather River below Oroville also. We need that water to irrigate the desert so a few rich land owners get richer and field workers stay poor off of Almonds and fruits.

cutbait
04-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Let's not also forget that just last summer the Salmon run was saved because of emergency release of water from the SWP reservoirs.

Had there not been SWP reservoirs to begin with there would not have been a spawn last year at all and with out the SWP salt water intrusion would have been clear past Sacramento

parkermann2
04-09-2015, 04:36 PM
I caught 4 spots yesterday at perris and I froze them and I called the DFW And asked if they could I dentify them for me. They said the couldn't so I just threw them away

DarkShadow
04-09-2015, 04:53 PM
We need that water to irrigate the desert so a few rich land owners get richer and field workers stay poor off of Almonds and fruits.

But yet, we continue to hear "but, but, almonds and fruit bring in $XX millions," but we don't get the most important figure, which is WHAT proportion "$XX Millions" is to our state's economy. In other words, it would suck to know that all those almonds and alfalfa that take a disproportionate amount of water to grow, only account for, let's say 5% of California's economy. But I'm sure with the rhetoric I've heard, almonds and alfalfa MUST contribute to at least 90% of California's economy, which is why it makes sense to keep giving those farmers water.

It's funny how many people are against welfare, but are perfectly ok giving people who decided it was a great idea to grow the wrong crops in a desert, government subsidies.

But yes, I caught a few spots last weekend. Me and the homies saw them, but I don't take pictures of them because.

seal
04-09-2015, 06:28 PM
But yes, I caught a few spots last weekend. Me and the homies saw them, but I don't take pictures of them because.

Come on show us the stringer shot.

HuskerRod
04-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Guys this whole spot conspiracy is shrouded in controversy. Ever since i got involved in the discussion i feel like im being followed and a green truck with a d.f. something sticker on the side has been watching my house for days.

Ive never caught a spot at perris nor have i ever seen one. Thats the story im sticking to damn it.

HuskerRod
04-09-2015, 07:11 PM
But yet, we continue to hear "but, but, almonds and fruit bring in $XX millions," but we don't get the most important figure, which is WHAT proportion "$XX Millions" is to our state's economy. In other words, it would suck to know that all those almonds and alfalfa that take a disproportionate amount of water to grow, only account for, let's say 5% of California's economy. But I'm sure with the rhetoric I've heard, almonds and alfalfa MUST contribute to at least 90% of California's economy, which is why it makes sense to keep giving those farmers water.

It's funny how many people are against welfare, but are perfectly ok giving people who decided it was a great idea to grow the wrong crops in a desert, government subsidies.

DS,

Im not sure what percentage of our economy is almonds, but ive eaten my share of Almond Joy candy bars to support the causr. Little did i know that candy was partislly responsible for the collapse of any of my future fishing adventures. Maybe ill switch to snicker or pay day bars

HawgZWylde
04-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Once commercial agriculture has his way you will be able to walk across Oroville and pick up all the dried out spotties you want. You might have to dust them off a bit. But since some back room water deals from the 60's were made we better drain them all cause that is what they are there for. To hell with the Chinook salmon that spawn in the Feather River below Oroville also. We need that water to irrigate the desert so a few rich land owners get richer and field workers stay poor off of Almonds and fruits.

Wait...So what would happen if we drained the reservoirs and eliminated farming? And if we eliminated farming wouldn't it be in all fair political correctness to mandate an end to all golf courses? And why stop there, we should eliminate all the levees around the Delta too as we should return everything to the way it was before the Siberians got here.

After all that, would the field workers still be poor?

HawgZWylde
04-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Let's not also forget that just last summer the Salmon run was saved because of emergency release of water from the SWP reservoirs.

Had there not been SWP reservoirs to begin with there would not have been a spawn last year at all and with out the SWP salt water intrusion would have been clear past Sacramento

That doesn't matter, they're just big evil corporations filled with rich people who want to keep the field workers poor off of Almonds and fruits but not lettuce, celery and alfalfa...

ghost2uu
04-09-2015, 09:01 PM
l for one am all for letting California Agriculture to continue to flow water to the desert. I mean for the 80% of water they use they do generate 2% of California's overall economic activity. California agriculture made 50 billion dollars last year. That is 2% of California's 2 trillion dollars that was generated in the state last year. I am all for reservoirs and responsible water usage. But by cutting big agriculture just 5% would have done more than Jerry Brown did by cutting private use by 25% Here is a good read on the subject: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2015/04/03/agriculture-is-80-percent-of-water-use-in-california-why-arent-farmers-being-forced-to-cut-back/ if not just watch the movie Cadillac Desert on You Tube.

noleash
04-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Amazon.com : Heinz Spotted Dick Sponge Pudding, 9.4 ...

BentRod
04-10-2015, 03:41 PM
l for one am all for letting California Agriculture to continue to flow water to the desert. I mean for the 80% of water they use they do generate 2% of California's overall economic activity. California agriculture made 50 billion dollars last year. That is 2% of California's 2 trillion dollars that was generated in the state last year. I am all for reservoirs and responsible water usage. But by cutting big agriculture just 5% would have done more than Jerry Brown did by cutting private use by 25% Here is a good read on the subject: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2015/04/03/agriculture-is-80-percent-of-water-use-in-california-why-arent-farmers-being-forced-to-cut-back/ if not just watch the movie Cadillac Desert on You Tube.
^^^^^^nailed it^^^^. Think he's got you there cutbait!

DarkShadow
04-10-2015, 04:19 PM
I mean for the 80% of water they use they do generate 2% of California's overall economic activity.

And that's the big pink elephant in the room that people seemingly overlook.

Gotta have my almonds tho!

HawgZWylde
04-10-2015, 05:35 PM
^^^^^^nailed it^^^^. Think he's got you there cutbait!

Not so fast. What they fail to tell you is how much of the economy spins off that agriculture. Sure, the vegetables, fruits and almonds may bring in 50 billion $$$ of and by themselves, but what about the trucking? The shipping? The ports? The dockworkers? Gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores, housing, construction and all it's related trades, city and town workers, county workers, mechanics, teachers, cops, firefighters etc. etc. ect. Most San Joaquin Valley towns, cities and counties are all support for agriculture. And those add up to far more than 50 billion $$$.

Leftists never tell the whole story and always spin when they think they can get away with it. Jonathan Gruber said something about that...

HawgZWylde
04-10-2015, 05:38 PM
And that's the big pink elephant in the room that people seemingly overlook.

Gotta have my almonds tho!

That pink elephant should stop drinking so much Kool-aide...

BentRod
04-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Hawgz I believe "economic actvity" encompasses these numbers you speak of. I don't believe it is just the revenue generated from crops.

HawgZWylde
04-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Hawgz I believe "economic actvity" encompasses these numbers you speak of. I don't believe it is just the revenue generated from crops.

Not even close. Start here and I'm going to post more links after I'm done eating;
http://www.californiawater.org/cwi/docs/AWU_Economics.pdf

http://www.fresnofoodexpo.com/latest-news/california%E2%80%99s-san-joaquin-valley%E2%80%99s-10581-billion-fresh-produce-industry-spurs-largest

BentRod
04-10-2015, 07:20 PM
From reading the above mentioned reports , there is no doubt that the valley benefits from farming. the percentages in the different areas i.e. labor income are high . However , in the state wide numbers the percentages are low (3% of jobs, 2.6% of labor income and 4.7% of state output). I believe those are some of the stats listed.

seal
04-11-2015, 05:13 AM
Leftists never tell the whole story and always spin when they think they can get away with it. Jonathan Gruber said something about that...

But those on the right you would think would be happy if agriculture was cut a bit. Would that not cut down on the illegal immigrant population? Save the state money that way.

You can look at it a million ways. I think the point remains accurate. The main target for cutting water use by this state, us, can only do so much and without also targeting agriculture and other water abusers, I mean users, little will be accomplished.

HuskerRod
04-11-2015, 07:34 AM
Seal...you make to much sense for fnn. I think everyone needs to chip in. I for one have already cut sprinklers usage, cut shower time, etc.,etc. Im sure ag can do their part to tighten the spigot.

Now back to normal fnn nonsense

Hey seal,
is that a perris spotted bass in your pocket or you just happy to see me. Its the other sides of the political fences problem to deal with. If u live in the north its southers fault. If your in socal blame nocal. I will continue to water my sidewalj because i can and no one can tell me otherwise. Now fill my dam lakes back up...dammit

HawgZWylde
04-11-2015, 08:29 AM
But those on the right you would think would be happy if agriculture was cut a bit. Would that not cut down on the illegal immigrant population? Save the state money that way.

You can look at it a million ways. I think the point remains accurate. The main target for cutting water use by this state, us, can only do so much and without also targeting agriculture and other water abusers, I mean users, little will be accomplished.

The illegals are coming regardless of agriculture. In fact agriculture now constitutes only a small portion of the jobs and services they seek. Those illegals will get subsidized by the taxpayer, they will not self deport. And there is a bill pending right now in our legislature that will give them just that if passed, regardless of anchor babies. Yes, I do agree that all should shoulder the burden by cutting back water usage but it really irks me when those on the left use deceptive tactics to achieve their goals such as using terms like " "just keep sending water to the desert" when most of the area where said water is being used is actually a Mediterranean climate, or "those evil rich corporations just want to keep the field workers poor off of Almonds and Fruits". Or using a number such as the one peddled here which is derived from just the product sales and not the big picture that includes the entire area's "economic activity" that is built upon agriculture, or in Kern county, oil+ag. That number is massive and think about it, how will the one party state system make up for said loss of revenue? They won't cut back on government expenditures, including social services. They won't stop this billion $$$ bullet train boondoggle. They'll just simply start raising taxes and fees.

The onus here in Cali is on the left, they've had nearly exclusive control of our state government for 35+ years. They have not allowed spending on infrastructure such as adding water storage capacity nor sound energy production while at the same time allowing the population to increase nearly threefold. And don't even get me started on the deceptive bill the voters just passed regarding the tunnels in the Delta because when you actually look at the spending breakdown most of it goes to Brown's union cronies to be used for projects such as flood control, environmental enhancements and the eco's endless environmental impact studies and lawsuits. And as a side note, those eco lunatics still want to drain the Hetch-Hetchy and Lake Powell reservoirs.

California throughout history has had much worse and much longer drought. Our rivers have completely dried up many times and the Delta has experienced salt water intrusion all the way up to Sacramento in the past. How did the Salmon and Steelhead survive then? The Delta Smelt? Which by the way is actually a non-native species who arrived less than a few hundred years ago. I saw a couple of posts on this board where the poster says that it's a drought, those reservoirs would be empty anyway. Well, perhaps so but at least they extended water availability this long. Had those reservoirs not been built, the rivers would already be dry and the Delta would indeed have salt water up to Sacramento as the water would have just ran out to sea. More storage capacity would have prolonged the water flows even longer as it is STORED WATER with controlled water flow.

Want to talk about conservation than do so without the leftist talking points and put the blame for this mess squarely where it belongs, on our leftist government's crap policies and the DROUGHT, which they are horribly ill-prepared for. We need far more storage capacity. But eh, let's save the non-native baitfish, rats, toads, frogs, flies, lizards and snakes instead...

etucker1959
04-11-2015, 08:53 AM

Just a political lesson here, not all people on the right dislike illegal immigrants. If they can use them for cheap labor their ok with them. What the right is a 100% agreed upon is this, in no way in Hell will there every be a way of citizenship for those people. The reason is obvious. (since this is FNN I have to mention it) lol If they were ever to become citizens probably 80% or more would become Demorats!!!!

BentRod
04-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Here's another political lesson. If you believe either the Dems or the Reps are totally correct on their views, you my friend are a sheep and a moron. Both parties are full of sh**. Ok let the bashing begin! I can take it

etucker1959
04-11-2015, 10:18 AM
Here's another political lesson. If you believe either the Dems or the Reps are totally correct on their views, you my friend are a sheep and a moron. Both parties are full of sh**. Ok let the bashing begin! I can take it
I guess that sort of was directed toward me. lol Did you notice my comments day before yesterday at HawgZY when asked who he was going to vote for. I said, "I'm a registered Republican and voted that way till 2000." Since then I'm picking the "LESSOR OF TWO EVILS" in my voting. Recently I have been voting for the Demorats because they seem a little safer bet. What I mean by that, "I don't trust some of the hard Right candidates not to sink the whole economy." (Which could have happened in 2008 without a huge government bailout)

BentRod
04-11-2015, 11:38 AM
I guess that sort of was directed toward me. lol Did you notice my comments day before yesterday at HawgZY when asked who he was going to vote for. I said, "I'm a registered Republican and voted that way till 2000." Since then I'm picking the "LESSOR OF TWO EVILS" in my voting. Recently I have been voting for the Demorats because they seem a little safer bet. What I mean by that, "I don't trust some of the hard Right candidates not to sink the whole economy." (Which could have happened in 2008 without a huge government bailout)

That was not directed at you! I just stole your opening of the previous post.

HawgZWylde
04-11-2015, 12:57 PM

Nice, name call instead of addressing my post. Yup, you obviously directed that at me but I got something for ya, I'm not a repub and to an extent I agree with you. However the democrats own Cali lock, stock and barrel. They've had complete control of the Cali legislature for over 35 years and it's all THEIR policy. A republican governor in Cali is either a demorat wearing repub clothing like Ahhhnold or a RINO. Or just a feel good bobble-head who has no power. If a repub were governor right now, he couldn't even get a veto much less any policy center or right of center passed. Now is no time to bash, it's time for common sense to prevail, something that's been completely absent in Cali for a long time. But you know, I don't know why I bother, I'll probably be in South Carolina or Missouri by this time next year. Way better thinking there, and fishing to boot...

HawgZWylde
04-11-2015, 01:04 PM

The proofs in the pudding on who the lesser of the two evils have been. Socialist/corporatist policy has done more damage to this nation and its economy than anything the right has done. Can you tell me the name of a "far right president" we've had and name the specific policy they passed that did us economic harm? Remember the question is "far right president"...

etucker1959
04-11-2015, 01:17 PM
The proofs in the pudding on who the lesser of the two evils have been. Socialist/corporatist policy has done more damage to this nation and its economy than anything the right has done. Can you tell me the name of a "far right president" we've had and name the specific policy they passed that did us economic harm? Remember the question is "far right president"...
Actually, I meant Far right candidates!!!! Although you could go back to Reagan with his Laughter curve experiment, it only put us in debt far beyond what most Presidents had done previously. The kicker to Reagan is, "he always wanted a balance budget."

BentRod
04-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Just to make this clear my statement was not directed at anyone in particular! I was making a general statement. Hawgz, I addressed your post after I read the reports you posted.

BentRod
04-11-2015, 02:53 PM
HawgZWylde , I am also going to probably move to S.C. in a couple of years. I went there a couple of months ago to look at houses. Beautiful , relaxing and plenty of water. I looked in the Pawley's Island area very nice check it out.

HawgZWylde
04-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Just to make this clear my statement was not directed at anyone in particular! I was making a general statement. Hawgz, I addressed your post after I read the reports you posted.

Ok, fair enough. Now when we get to South Carolina, we have to fish together and have some laughs at what we left behind...

HawgZWylde
04-11-2015, 05:37 PM
HawgZWylde , I am also going to probably move to S.C. in a couple of years. I went there a couple of months ago to look at houses. Beautiful , relaxing and plenty of water. I looked in the Pawley's Island area very nice check it out.

Lol, looks like you are going to have Devoreflyer AND I as neighbors. We'll have some good times reminiscing while we fish, lol...

BentRod
04-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Ok, fair enough. Now when we get to South Carolina, we have to fish together and have some laughs at what we left behind...

Sounds good to me! I can't wait to leave this sh**hole.

HawgZWylde
04-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Actually, I meant Far right candidates!!!! Although you could go back to Reagan with his Laughter curve experiment, it only put us in debt far beyond what most Presidents had done previously. The kicker to Reagan is, "he always wanted a balance budget."

etucker, I know you and I are the same age and in the 70's we were both teenagers. My parents made sure I was keenly aware of what our politicians were doing because of what was transpiring during those years. How can you forget those Carter years? The stagflation, gas lines, high unemployment etc. etc. The Iran crisis? Those were complete disaster years for the U.S. brought to you by Carter and the democrats. Reagan inherited a complete mess and had to take big tough measures to bring our nation out of the abyss. Reagan was not far right, he was a constitutional conservative/Libertarian. etucker, I'd like to post some links that tell the why's, what's and where's of the Reagan years. I hope you will read them and learn the truth of that era. He truly was a great man. The left will never ever admit that because it was their policies that created the Carter disaster years. It took strong leadership and bold measures to reverse the damage that occurred during the Carter years, just as it will to repair the damage from the Obama years, if it can be fixed. I just got off work and I'm going to eat and get cleaned up then I will post those links. Please take the time and read them...

HawgZWylde
04-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Sounds good to me! I can't wait to leave this sh**hole.

Lol, amen...

seal
04-13-2015, 10:34 AM

Bashing? Hell you are singing the song that many of us are! To completely jump on either sides boat is just sheep mentality, both sides are screwed up big time. I might have more leanings towards the right but the checklist has many checks leaning to the left hand side of things.

Gobigal
04-13-2015, 09:58 PM
So funny to read the political "rants" from the right nary a word on "W", especially with another Bush on the horizon. Guess when you can pick and choose political figures to denounce and blame for the state, nation and world crises, it allows your opinions to overwhelm a fishing forum about Alabama Spotted Bass at Lake Perris.

Oh, wait.......it was those damn commie liberals who ruined this state by causing this historic drought. Oh, wait, it was the commie liberals who allowed March 2015 to be the warmest March since records have been kept. Oh, wait, since the liberals have run this state for 35+ years, guess your Republican hero (Reagan) was not the governor of this great state......oh, he was? Then what happened? Oh, right, it was Pete Wilson's fault.

BTW: When you move to South Carolina to get out of this **** hole of a state, make sure you don't run when getting pulled over for your brake light being out........just saying.

Big Al

gcopple
04-14-2015, 06:56 AM
sounds like you summed it up pretty good...liberals ruined the state, RR did what he could before he became president and then pete wilson ruined it again...

the comment about running whne you have a brake light out was in very poor taste in my opinion. classless at best.

BassinPLS
04-14-2015, 07:35 AM
etucker, I know you and I are the same age and in the 70's we were both teenagers. My parents made sure I was keenly aware of what our politicians were doing because of what was transpiring during those years. How can you forget those Carter years? The stagflation, gas lines, high unemployment etc. etc. The Iran crisis? Those were complete disaster years for the U.S. brought to you by Carter and the democrats. Reagan inherited a complete mess and had to take big tough measures to bring our nation out of the abyss. Reagan was not far right, he was a constitutional conservative/Libertarian. etucker, I'd like to post some links that tell the why's, what's and where's of the Reagan years. I hope you will read them and learn the truth of that era. He truly was a great man. The left will never ever admit that because it was their policies that created the Carter disaster years. It took strong leadership and bold measures to reverse the damage that occurred during the Carter years, just as it will to repair the damage from the Obama years, if it can be fixed. I just got off work and I'm going to eat and get cleaned up then I will post those links. Please take the time and read them...

HawyZWylde,

I couldn't have said it better! It is good to hear not all of the populace is feeding at the Obama trough!

seal
04-14-2015, 07:51 AM
So funny to read the political "rants" from the right nary a word on "W", especially with another Bush on the horizon. Guess when you can pick and choose political figures to denounce and blame for the state, nation and world crises, it allows your opinions to overwhelm a fishing forum about Alabama Spotted Bass at Lake Perris.

Oh, wait.......it was those damn commie liberals who ruined this state by causing this historic drought. Oh, wait, it was the commie liberals who allowed March 2015 to be the warmest March since records have been kept. Oh, wait, since the liberals have run this state for 35+ years, guess your Republican hero (Reagan) was not the governor of this great state......oh, he was? Then what happened? Oh, right, it was Pete Wilson's fault.

BTW: When you move to South Carolina to get out of this **** hole of a state, make sure you don't run when getting pulled over for your brake light being out........just saying.

Big Al

Well isn't that special! This state is a piece of crap and mainly because there is no freaking balance. Been here all my life I have a right to call it like I see it so don't play the move to South Carolina then card!

Every time politics comes up the far left bring out the W card, beyond predictable and really getting old. Funny part is many on the right would not be happy if another Bush got in but hell it's the liberal left's war cry so keep play'n that card.

You deride others for political commentary on this thread then come in with a blast like that, very confusing message me thinks.

DarkShadow
04-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Sooo....

Has anybody caught a spotted bass outta Perris?

Lady Quagga
04-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Well isn't that special! This state is a piece of crap and mainly because there is no freaking balance. Been here all my life I have a right to call it like I see it so don't play the move to South Carolina then card!

Point of order, Mr. Speaker? I believe it was BentRod who brought up this business of moving to South Carolina. Gobigal was merely supporting his decision, is all.

Every time politics comes up the far left bring out the W card, beyond predictable and really getting old. Funny part is many on the right would not be happy if another Bush got in but hell it's the liberal left's war cry so keep play'n that card.

It's about as predictable as certain brain-dead circle-jerkers here who always seem to veer conversations like this into partisan political discussions. I know angsty little teenagers who have better control of their emotional outbursts than they do.

You deride others for political commentary on this thread then come in with a blast like that, very confusing message me thinks.

When in the asylum, do as the inmates do.

gcopple
04-14-2015, 10:58 AM
12 pages on this post so far! awesome job guys...if we can get off topic a few more different ways we might just make it to 20!

Stormcrow
04-14-2015, 01:35 PM
It's about as predictable as certain brain-dead circle-jerkers here who always seem to veer conversations like this into partisan political discussions. I know angsty little teenagers who have better control of their emotional outbursts than they do.

I try to ignore your posts on the board now. At least since your banning, or OUR banning...The idea that you consort with teenagers concerns me though...As in REALLY concerns me...Anytime I hear about you and children or "little teenagers" in the same vicinity. Please don't mention that you associate with youth again.

Lady Quagga
04-14-2015, 01:52 PM
I try to ignore your posts on the board now. At least since your banning, or OUR banning...The idea that you consort with teenagers concerns me though...As in REALLY concerns me...Anytime I hear about you and children or "little teenagers" in the same vicinity. Please don't mention that you associate with youth again.

Did it ever occur to you that some of us may have teenage children of our own, and thus a front row seat to the drama that is adolescence?

That you think I am "consorting" with teenagers speaks more to your neuroses than anything else, O dear teacher of children....

BentRod
04-14-2015, 07:20 PM
For the record. I never mentioned any political party as my reason for wanting to leave this overcrowded and expensive state.

HuskerRod
04-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Sooo....

Why yes I have and thanks for asking, but I forgot my camera and the only witness around wouldn't know the difference between a spotted bass, striped bass, mean mouth bass, white bass, peacock bass, or smallmouth bass.

HawgZWylde
04-16-2015, 08:43 AM
Sooo....

Yup, lot's of them...

inthroughtheocean
04-16-2015, 09:19 AM
LOL.

Because fishermen aren't known to tell stories.......

HawgZWylde
04-16-2015, 09:35 AM
LOL.

Because fishermen aren't known to tell stories.......

It's called "dock talk". But what I posted is true...

seal
04-16-2015, 10:59 AM
It's called "dock talk". But what I posted is true...

You need to keep a camera on you. Nobody will believe you till you get photographic evidence. I believe you!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/sealfishing/bigfoot1_zpsh6scgr53.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/sealfishing/media/bigfoot1_zpsh6scgr53.jpg.html)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/sealfishing/loch-ness-monster2_zpsuwjgsr12.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/sealfishing/media/loch-ness-monster2_zpsuwjgsr12.jpg.html)

HawgZWylde
04-16-2015, 01:17 PM
You need to keep a camera on you. Nobody will believe you till you get photographic evidence. I believe you!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/sealfishing/bigfoot1_zpsh6scgr53.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/sealfishing/media/bigfoot1_zpsh6scgr53.jpg.html)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/sealfishing/loch-ness-monster2_zpsuwjgsr12.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/sealfishing/media/loch-ness-monster2_zpsuwjgsr12.jpg.html)

Lol, thanks for the vote of confidence. 1977 was the year I caught my first Perris Spottie. 1980, a week before I moved to the central coast was my last Perris Spottie. as for pics? Meh, no one had smart phones back then...