PDA

View Full Version : 4/1 they fooled me

P.A.W.
04-01-2015, 01:39 PM
I got to the lake at 5:00 am. 1st in line and first at the inlet for the am striper bite. Boated a few over the next hour then "they" came. I'm sorry guys, but sometimes you just don't get to fish the spot you want. If you get to a little spot like the Skinner inlet and there are boats in it you just need to say "darn" and move on. Not these guys. I had a rental pull up within 8 feet of me and drop anchor!!!??. 8 feet! Forget fan casting now. Then comes another bigger boat with 5 or 6 guys. They gave me maybe 20 feet, but with 5 lines in the water I was really limited on where I could place my line now. I could see another 3 or 4 boats making their way towards us and just knew they would have the same fishing etiquette as the current batch. I just got out of there and let them at it. After trolling a bit I got off the water at 9:00 or so and at that time there were at least 10 boats crowded into the inflow area. Really?

Generally speaking when a bass fisherman comes to a cove and there is a boat there they move on. Not these bait-n-wait striper guys. I guess I was fool enough to hope there would be some manners on the water. Nope. I was April fooled.

Sorry, but sometimes you need to vent.

DEVOREFLYER
04-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Pat I hear you loud and clear. It's sad that many do not care about fishing etiquette or fishing ethics for that matter, I think many of us should start wearing this shirt.

http://i.imgur.com/FstVPFT.jpg

DarkShadow
04-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Generally speaking when a bass fisherman comes to a cove and there is a boat there they move on. Not these bait-n-wait striper guys.

You make a very interesting observation there because I have also witnessed the same type of behavior.

At least you got a few fish to go before the armada ruined the fun.

etucker1959
04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
That sort of behavior is common in all kinds of fishing!!!!!! I was at the Coronado Islands Saturday, every time a party boat would stop they were immediately bum rushed by several private boaters. In my park catfishing they would try to do that to us once we found the school, but I found a way to fix their little red wagon. Me and my partner would fish 4 bobbers poles (second rod stamp came in handy) the far right and far left one would set our boundary's. We would keep the school in the middle of us and fish them with the other 2 poles. It worked pretty good, the smart gooney birds would try to back door us from the other side of the lake. (they would have to make a super long cast) But for every 1 they would catch, we would catch 7-8 for ourselves. I sent home hundreds of people talking to themselves about those dumb white guy's C&R and hogging all the fish for themselves. lol

Harley51
04-01-2015, 06:22 PM
We're going to see more of this as more lakes shut down to private boaters because of water levels. It's a shame but we can't do anything about the drought and the rude people. I wish all the people could be like Pat.

noleash
04-01-2015, 07:22 PM
I got to the lake at 5:00 am. 1st in line and first at the inlet for the am striper bite. Boated a few over the next hour then "they" came. I'm sorry guys, but sometimes you just don't get to fish the spot you want. If you get to a little spot like the Skinner inlet and there are boats in it you just need to say "darn" and move on. Not these guys. I had a rental pull up within 8 feet of me and drop anchor!!!??. 8 feet! Forget fan casting now. Then comes another bigger boat with 5 or 6 guys. They gave me maybe 20 feet, but with 5 lines in the water I was really limited on where I could place my line now. I could see another 3 or 4 boats making their way towards us and just knew they would have the same fishing etiquette as the current batch. I just got out of there and let them at it. After trolling a bit I got off the water at 9:00 or so and at that time there were at least 10 boats crowded into the inflow area. Really?

Generally speaking when a bass fisherman comes to a cove and there is a boat there they move on. Not these bait-n-wait striper guys. I guess I was fool enough to hope there would be some manners on the water. Nope. I was April fooled.

Contract The Lady Quagga to spew Hateful rhetorical comets at them while you fire up the big motor and run over their lines! I mean "An eye for an eye" really isn't out of the question .... is it?

Baja1ab
04-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Pat I hear you loud and clear. It's sad that many do not care about fishing etiquette or fishing ethics for that matter, I think many of us should start wearing this shirt.

Lol, I just bought this shirt and wore it while fishing DVL this past weekend.

I too have experienced this behavior at many local lakes but one trip to Silverwood last summer just blew me away. My buddy and I were first to launch and bee lined it over to the inlet to try a little bait n wait. Not 20 minutes later there were 3-4 boats all lined up at the bouy line, all keeping fair distance from on another - nothing out of the ordinary, right? Then this dumba$$ in a rental cruises up and squeezes in between the last two on one end, rather than going to the farthest open spot on the line. He dropped anchor, dropped out a couple of lines and sat for about 10 min. He then reeled in, pulled up anchor, started the motor and proceeded to drive WOT into the very nice, very large and very new looking walk around ocean going vessel parked next to him. If this rental boat guy didn't have a little kid with him the guy in the big boat would have for sure probably beat this guy silly. He was PISSED!

Rental guy then comes down the bouy line like he's scopin out his next spot to squeeze in to. I popped up and stood right at the edge of the boat and pointed at the spot next to me shaking my head and shouted "NOPE". He just looked at me like "Whuuu" and kept going, lol. My fishing partner was rolled over on his seat in laughter.

People's lack of ettiquite never ceases to amaze me.

NFCD I
04-01-2015, 10:01 PM
On Tuesday I was fishing the long cove on the southwest side of the lake. Two clowns in a rental boat followed me in. When I got to the back of the cove I had just enough room to get past them going out. Of course I left using the big motor at just under 5 mph. That damn Skeeter sure leaves a big wake when she's not up on plane. I did wish them good luck. I think they could tell I didn't mean it.

darknight63
04-02-2015, 01:22 AM
I see these post all about "renters"....Well I rent , mainly because I cannot afford to buy a boat and I have seen just as many "owners" being jerks as anyone else, maybe more, I cannot tell you how many times I am in a cove already and have a "owner" boar in the cove and act like I am not even there because I am in a rental boat......it goes both ways.....

noleash
04-02-2015, 07:18 AM
I see these post all about "renters"....Well I rent , mainly because I cannot afford to buy a boat and I have seen just as many "owners" being jerks as anyone else, maybe more, I cannot tell you how many times I am in a cove already and have a "owner" boar in the cove and act like I am not even there because I am in a rental boat......it goes both ways.....
Valid point and well said. Mr P.A.W since it seems that you are a loyal customer to the lake MAYBE the manager/staff would listen to you about the isssues a happening on the water and instill some new rules/lake laws where as to inhance/preserve the lakes safety and overall experiance.
:Idea:

P.A.W.
04-02-2015, 07:42 AM
I had that very talk with them as I was leaving. As in most areas in life there's not much you can do about manners. For example, if this group feels comfortable fishing a few yards from one another then they assume that it's ok to fish close to someone else. There is a brotherhood of sorts for this bunch. Kinda like when the shad are up in the east end. It isn't rentals vs privateers. It seems to be more cultural, and about personal space IMO.

DEVOREFLYER
04-02-2015, 08:12 AM
I think you can also add "Generational" to that list of cultural and about personal space. I have also found that since I acquired a Bass boat that it seems to have some attraction that brings a crowd to where ever I am fishing. While tournament fishing I have had a number of occasions when non tournament fishermen have moved in on me. I guess they think I/we know the "secret spot". Too often they will move in hot and loud and kill what was a good bite. :Sad:

noleash
04-02-2015, 08:17 AM
I had that very talk with them as I was leaving. As in most areas in life there's not much you can do about manners. For example, if this group feels comfortable fishing a few yards from one another then they assume that it's ok to fish close to someone else. There is a brotherhood of sorts for this bunch. Kinda like when the shad are up in the east end. It isn't rentals vs privateers. It seems to be more cultural, and about personal space IMO.

Sorry for your loss!! So be IT .... Plan "B" it is ....Contract The Lady Quagga to spew Hateful rhetorical comets at them while you fire up the big motor and run over their lines! I mean "An eye for an eye" really isn't out of the question .... is it?

HawgZWylde
04-02-2015, 08:50 AM

Sorry to hear that Pat but I suspect as the drought wears on and less places are available to fish it's only going to get worse. It's the shoulder to shoulder pay lake mentality moving out onto the water. So Cal fishing at it's finest. It's the "you got something I want and I'm entitled to it" syndrome. Generally, Bass guys on private boats know better but we've been bombed a few times by the younger "I'm better than you" dudes too. Well at least you got a few in relative solitude, good job...

HawgZWylde
04-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Sorry for your loss!! So be IT .... Plan "B" it is ....Contract The Lady Quagga to spew Hateful rhetorical comets at them while you fire up the big motor and run over their lines! I mean "An eye for an eye" really isn't out of the question .... is it?

Contract The Lady Quagga to spew Hateful rhetorical comets at them

You may be on to something there noleash. I could picture her up on a podium on the front of a pontoon boat with a bullhorn...

Askwhy
04-02-2015, 10:10 AM

Where can I get one of those shirts ? I will always wear that when I go fishing be it skinner or elsewhere .
That's classic.

Askwhy
04-02-2015, 10:14 AM

Where can I get one of those shirts ?

P.A.W.
04-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Bass Pro Shop has 'em

DEVOREFLYER
04-02-2015, 01:15 PM
This ^^^^^^^

DarkShadow
04-02-2015, 02:19 PM
I have also found that since I acquired a Bass boat that it seems to have some attraction that brings a crowd to where ever I am fishing. While tournament fishing I have had a number of occasions when non tournament fishermen have moved in on me. I guess they think I/we know the "secret spot".

That's because you know the hot spots, Devo!

noleash
04-02-2015, 03:13 PM

Rhetorical = Grammar = comets = See the Irony...:LOL: A comet is an icy small Solar System body that, when passing close to the Sun, heats up and begins to outgas, displaying a visible atmosphere or coma, and sometimes also a tail. :LOL:

Askwhy
04-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Rhetorical = Grammar = comets = See the Irony...:LOL: A comet is an icy small Solar System body that, when passing close to the Sun, heats up and begins to outgas, displaying a visible atmosphere or coma, and sometimes also a tail. :LOL:

Ok now I'm lost what does that have to do with skinner and the guys that anchor in your boat ?

P.A.W.
04-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Ok now I'm lost what does that have to do with skinner and the guys that anchor in your boat ?

OK it's a little off topic but it's intelligent, and funny so I say let it go.

fishingboysdad
04-02-2015, 06:52 PM
its true about the encroachment...thats an awesome shirt

Baja1ab
04-02-2015, 09:01 PM

That's a valid point and I am sure it goes both ways. Just like you probably know better than to pull right up on someone and drop anchor, I treat all anglers, renters and "owners" alike. I too rented prior to purchasing my own boat but I, also like you (or at least it seems), was a frequent renter which probably makes a difference vs the once every couple of month or first time ever kinda guys. Don't take my comment personally.

In the end it mostly comes down to common sense and manners. Some people have neither.

JAG107
04-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Try wearing that shirt at a pay lake!
Pat, you gotta come up to Silverwood and fish with a little bit of peace...until the sun comes up and brings out the lake lice!

TroutOnly
04-03-2015, 07:22 AM
thats were being on the trolling motor and do the ****-block moves until they back off some ,I look them straight in the eyes and point my boat right at them ,these days you as much as have to make them behave ,they wont do it on there own............theres not many with any manners now days......especially with the meat -hunters...........

DEVOREFLYER
04-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Y'all might be surprised to see how big and how far of a roostertail ya can throw when ya trim up and give 200 hp full throttle. :Envious:

Fnguyen5992
04-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Lol it's funny how some are bitching about how crowded and etiquette of the lake.....wait untill Dvl closes....you guys are Guna be crying!!!! I go to skinner and dvl every week and it's jus something you gotta deal with!! As long as you know how to fish under pressure with people fishing on top of you you'll be fine! The lake is for everyone, even for the rude people that don't speak English! I'm at the lake every week and usually the first person in line but I don't claim the lake as mine! Keep your lines tight and fish on!