PDA

View Full Version : Minnkota iPilot review

Bootleg
03-26-2015, 11:50 AM
After watching several videos on the Minnkota iPilot trolling motor, I decided to pull the trigger and get one. Ordered the 55 lb thrust, 12v model.

Ordered it from basspro and it was delivered in a HUGE box within week. Had a friend come over who does home automation installations for a living to help me install it.

Due to it needs to be bolted from the bottom, it was pretty tricking getting access to the front of the boat even though there was already ad motor installed on the bow from the factory. Took about 2 hours to get it fully installed due to the difficulty access the underside of the bow.

The next day took it out to Castaic and must admit it is AWESOME. Super easy to run and the anchor mode is killer. You basically hit the anchor button and iPilot will hold you within a 5-7 foot area of where you selected "anchor" spot.

My boat is a 16 ft Bass Tracker that weighs about 1000 lbs. I was able to troll up to 2.5 mph depending on the current. If I was going going against a heavier current I was usually seeing about 1.9 mph.

The record a track feature is probably the coolest feature in my opinion. Basically, you hit a button and start your troll. Once your done, hit the return to start and the iPilot will trace your track back to where you started "recorded". Aweome !

For $1000 it's not cheap but I'v already had $1100 worth of fun with it.

Bootleg

PS Just picked up a Humminbird 859 DI fishfinder. I will try to write a review of it in the next day or so.

flyhigh123
03-26-2015, 12:25 PM
these new GPS trolling motors are awesome...

the lowrance one which interfaces with the screen, you can draw where you want to troll, or set a certain depth to follow as well... all these cool new features.

shinbob
03-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Great review. I have had my Terrova iPilot now for 3 years, and I love it as you do. Spot lock is a fantastic feature, and I can never be without it in the future. I can anchor up in 300 feet of water with a push of a button. My only complaint is that mine is only accurate to within maybe 20 feet or so when the wind is blowing hard. Usually not a big deal, but I wouldn't depend on it to keep you off the rocks if they're less than a boat length away. I've heard that the new MotorGuide Xi5 hold a spot much better, but for now I'm satisfied with the Minn Kota. I also use the auto-pilot frequently - set a heading along the shoreline and it will continue on that heading regardless of external conditions.

All of that technology really helps to mitigate the fact that aluminum boats tend to get pushed around by the wind more than fiberglass.

The new iPilot Link seems even better, I love the idea of following a depth contour automatically. But it's quite a bit more expensive, and the remote is bigger and heavier too.

Only problem I had is that after using it for about two years, I managed to build up enough mono line wrapped around the prop shaft that it ate into the seal and allowed water to leak in. It wasn't my line, there's just a lot of line out there from breakoffs and the like. You should pull the prop every so often to check for any line. (This holds true for any motor, trolling or outboard). And if you notice a subtle drop off in power, that may be the first sign that you have water intrusion into your lower unit. But you can buy brush and seal kits from Northland Marine for $35 or so and fix it yourself if you have a leak, it's pretty easy to do so.

P.A.W.
03-26-2015, 01:29 PM
Good to know shinbob! NFCD convinced me to pull the prop on my Terrova in the parking lot. Yup, line galore. I was just talking to another Terrova owner the other day and we agreed that we would never own a boat without one now. In fact I haven't used my pedal more than once or twice since I've owned it. I pull into the inlet at Skinner adjacent to the whitewater and point nose-into the current and hit spotlock. Now I can wander all over the boat and not worry about drifting. Glad you love yours Bootleg.