PDA

View Full Version : Snakes

old pudd fisher
03-24-2015, 06:10 PM
459854598345984Took a day off from my home renovation project today cus my wife wanted to get a way for the day. So we went to the Diamond for a hike and a picnic, wonderful weather and we had fun. If you shore fish watch out for these big boys. And damn that sure is a long boat ramp.

dixoncider
03-24-2015, 08:00 PM
I was on the anchor one day and one swam by...

Stinkbait
03-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks for not killing it.

A few years ago I got pics of one swimming across the third walk in cove. Pretty good swimmers. Figured a hawk may have dropped it. Don't know why they would just go for a swim being cold blooded. Very very lethargic when it exited the water onto shore.

HawgZWylde
03-24-2015, 11:05 PM
Thanks for not killing it.

A few years ago I go pics of one swimming across the third walk in cove. Pretty good swimmers. Figured a hawk may have dropped it. Don't know why they would just go for a swim being cold blooded. Very very lethargic when it exited the water onto shore.

That's a good question. Bill and I had one attempt to get into our boat in 3rd cove a couple of years ago. We didn't see it swim up until it was circling the boat trying to figure out how to get in. We used the lure retriever to "persuade" him that our boat wasn't a good place for him to get some sunshine...

BassinPLS
03-25-2015, 06:31 AM
I have seen 5 or 6 rattlesnakes in the water at DVL. One of them was the largest rattlesnake that I had ever seen. And as a retired land surveyor, I have seen plenty. The Lake staff warned me about the snake while I was fishing on a point; so I thought that I would go check it out. It was probably 400' from shore just swimming along. As soon as I trolling motored up to it, it started making a beeline at my boat! I had seen enough of it for my liking and put the trolling motor on high and got the heck out of Dodge!

DEVOREFLYER
03-25-2015, 06:58 AM
I can tell you that nothing gets my heart pumping like a snake in a boat. While fishing the stumps with a frog at Lake Palestine in Texas with an uncle many years ago I had an encounter I will never forget.
We had been catching a fair number of bass on the frog while fishing tree stumps. I had an unusual hit and my rod loaded up hard. Then I quickly noticed a large Cotton Mouth snake had taken my frog lure and asked my uncle to cut the line. No he said and proceeded to take my pole and reel it in. When he jerked the snake with the lure stuck in its mouth into the boat I was ready to jump overboard, except that’s where the snake came from and he might have friends nearby.
My uncle calmly cut the snakes head off leaving the headless body to thrash around in the bottom of the boat while he extracted the hooks from the head with two pair of pliers. He saved his prize lure but I was done for the day. Yikes a Cotton Mouth is the ugliest damn snake there is in my book, heavy body snake with an aggressive attitude and that with mouth contrasting against the black body is creepy.
Don’t know if it is true or not but I have been told that during the mating season they are especially aggressive and if you run across one do not look them in the eye as they will come at you. They do not retreat or stand their ground but charge you.

seal
03-25-2015, 07:46 AM
At Silverwood in the cove under the campground (campground cove) I had a huge one swim up right between myself and another friend that was fishing with me that was only about 30ft away from me. It came onshore crawled up under a bush and coiled up like it was protecting something, thought maybe eggs. It swam quite a ways and was intent upon coming onshore between us, weird!

TUNAVIC
03-25-2015, 09:18 AM
That ramp looks ominous,I too had one swim by as we were fishing near the shore in a boat,I had my Gloomis ready to swing.

Cya Tuna Vic

Brent
03-25-2015, 10:10 AM
I can tell you that nothing gets my heart pumping like a snake in a boat. While fishing the stumps with a frog at Lake Palestine in Texas with an uncle many years ago I had an encounter I will never forget.
We had been catching a fair number of bass on the frog while fishing tree stumps. I had an unusual hit and my rod loaded up hard. Then I quickly noticed a large Cotton Mouth snake had taken my frog lure and asked my uncle to cut the line. No he said and proceeded to take my pole and reel it in. When he jerked the snake with the lure stuck in its mouth into the boat I was ready to jump overboard, except that’s where the snake came from and he might have friends nearby.
My uncle calmly cut the snakes head off leaving the headless body to thrash around in the bottom of the boat while he extracted the hooks from the head with two pair of pliers. He saved his prize lure but I was done for the day. Yikes a Cotton Mouth is the ugliest damn snake there is in my book, heavy body snake with an aggressive attitude and that with mouth contrasting against the black body is creepy.
Don’t know if it is true or not but I have been told that during the mating season they are especially aggressive and if you run across one do not look them in the eye as they will come at you. They do not retreat or stand their ground but charge you.

I grew up in Texas and yes the Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth) is one of the most aggressive snakes you will ever see. We've had the buggers drop from trees into our boat at night when I was a kid and you wouldn't believe how hard it was to fight the urge to jump in the water while my dad was cracking it with a boat paddle. I used to walk around (shore fish) as a kid and you can actually smell the nasty things before you can see them. Horrible musky smell to them.

DEVOREFLYER
03-25-2015, 10:35 AM
Brent I can't tell ya about that musky smell as at the time I had another smell goin' that took about 6 laundry cycles to wash out of my shorts.....:Shocked:

Stinkbait
03-25-2015, 12:00 PM
Also, that is a Western Red Diamond which are milder in temperment than Western Pacifics. Pacifics get pissy fast and are the darker models with no red or rust coloring.

Remember the Venom ER Dr. and his show on Discovery. The Pacifics are/have developed both a neuro and hemo toxin venom. Prior, to recent times they only had one type of venom. This was presumably due to the increase in size of prey in the area, predominantly one area of the IE - think baby cottontails and ginormous Norwegian rats. The Pacifics venom strength is now approaching that of a Mojave Green.

larry626
03-25-2015, 02:57 PM
Tmi!!! <<tmi!!!>> !!!!tmi

brent i can't tell ya about that musky smell as at the time i had another smell goin' that took about 6 laundry cycles to wash out of my shorts.....:shocked:

noleash
03-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Also, that is a Western Red Diamond which are milder in temperment than Western Pacifics. Pacifics get pissy fast and are the darker models with no red or rust coloring.

Remember the Venom ER Dr. and his show on Discovery. The Pacifics are/have developed both a neuro and hemo toxin venom. Prior, to recent times they only had one type of venom. This was presumably due to the increase in size of prey in the area, predominantly one area of the IE - think baby cottontails and ginormous Norwegian rats. The Pacifics venom strength is now approaching that of a Mojave Green.
Diamond vally lake Snake encounters .... #1 Three foot Mojave Green trying to crawl into my backpack two minutes after putting it down on the groung and making a few casts .... #2 6-8 foot Red diamond back Rattlesnake coiled up under a small dropoff on one of the main foot trails going into @ cove .... #3 Western Pacific scooting along in the opposite direction as I while working the shoreline at 3 cove east point >>> it stopped and hissed obscenities at me then continued on its' way #4 3-4 foot western diamond coiled up under the recently exposed waterline 3 feet from the water.... That was especialy scary because of not expecting one to be in such a location #5 .... And the kicker was an 18 inch western diamond when coiled could fit in your palm, coiled up next to another anglers backpack! After seeing the baby western diamondback lick that guys backpack then flip me the bird... THE VOICE TOLD ME TO GET A SKIFF AND GET OFF THE ROCKS IMMEDIATELY :Shocked: Although I've caught 100s of nice BASS from my skiff all my 7- ? # ers are shoreline PIGS especialy if you get to it before Bass Pro blows the lake out with his BIG...LOUD....HEAVY....NOISY...BITE KILLER! Anyway... thats a different story...so the million dollar question is .... without the noise are you going to risk your life for that sure to come PB LMB?!!:Confused:

Pete Marino
03-25-2015, 06:37 PM
I consider myself extremely tough and rugged with a very high pain tolerance... that being said... the thought of getting bit by a snake makes me cringe and theres a high chance that if bit, Id fold into the fetal position and whine like a baby!!! The thought makes me sick!!!!

Pete

crappiemike
03-25-2015, 06:59 PM
The black and white snake are
The king snake,there the good
Ones... Lol,,,,

Cm

trail blazer
03-25-2015, 08:03 PM
I myself come from around corpus tx,,,My brother was bitten BAD by a copperhead that almost cost him his arm had a few encounters with the cotton mouths and MANY MANY encounters with the copperheads I think the copperhead is more aggressive my self

I know that this is not polliticly correct O WELL I HATE m! I want to say KILL M ALL , but im not in the trolling mood,,lol

TRAIL BLAZER

Stinkbait
03-25-2015, 09:47 PM
Diamond vally lake Snake encounters .... #1 Three foot Mojave Green trying to crawl into my backpack two minutes after putting it down on the groung and making a few casts .... #2 6-8 foot Red diamond back Rattlesnake coiled up under a small dropoff on one of the main foot trails going into @ cove .... #3 Western Pacific scooting along in the opposite direction as I while working the shoreline at 3 cove east point >>> it stopped and hissed obscenities at me then continued on its' way #4 3-4 foot western diamond coiled up under the recently exposed waterline 3 feet from the water.... That was especialy scary because of not expecting one to be in such a location #5 .... And the kicker was an 18 inch western diamond when coiled could fit in your palm, coiled up next to another anglers backpack! After seeing the baby western diamondback lick that guys backpack then flip me the bird... THE VOICE TOLD ME TO GET A SKIFF AND GET OFF THE ROCKS IMMEDIATELY :Shocked: Although I've caught 100s of nice BASS from my skiff all my 7- ? # ers are shoreline PIGS especialy if you get to it before Bass Pro blows the lake out with his BIG...LOUD....HEAVY....NOISY...BITE KILLER! Anyway... thats a different story...so the million dollar question is .... without the noise are you going to risk your life for that sure to come PB LMB?!!:Confused:

I'm not sure there are Mojave Greens around the IE, or the DVL area anyway? Maybe I'm wrong. Are you sure, because they can really F you up bad?

HawgZWylde
03-25-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure there are Mojave Greens around the IE, or the DVL area anyway? Maybe I'm wrong. Are you sure, because they can really F you up bad?

Had one slither under my son's chair while sitting around the campfire when we were camping out at El Mirage OHVA. Had one get wrapped up in my rear wheel spokes when it struck at me while single track riding in the same area. Didn't bode well for the snake. On a job I was superintending in Victorville we had a baby Mohave green take up residence in the weep screed of one of the homes we were building. Cool looking snakes but they are deadly...

noleash
03-26-2015, 06:23 AM

It was GREEN, three feet long, pissed off and didn't want to SHEW away and let me grab my backpack, with RATTLES! Finally got it to SHEW but it only slithered about 10 yards into a scrub brush and coiled up in wait for the next unsuspecting victim! Didn't know until now about the pacific Rattlesnake but acording to Wikipedia I most def had a close encounter of the last kind with that species!:EyePop: Anyway A close friend of the family was a super on the DVL project and walked those dams everyday for years .... said he just keep an eye out and always carried a stick!:Cool:

noleash
03-26-2015, 06:33 AM
Had one slither under my son's chair while sitting around the campfire when we were camping out at El Mirage OHVA. Had one get wrapped up in my rear wheel spokes when it struck at me while single track riding in the same area. Didn't bode well for the snake. On a job I was superintending in Victorville we had a baby Mohave green take up residence in the weep screed of one of the homes we were building. Cool looking snakes but they are deadly...

EEEK! I really am not a desert guy .... Maybe my subconscious tells me to avoid these types of situations at all costs ... But living in hemet and having the lake next door made me evolve into a more adaptable angler! NOT ... :LOL:

Fishingkid97
03-26-2015, 07:45 AM
I say kill all the rattlers found in areas near the public shore line fishing areas help someone else out that might not see it some day.

DarkShadow
03-26-2015, 11:30 AM
I say kill all the rattlers found in areas near the public shore line fishing areas help someone else out that might not see it some day.

I say people learn how to live with species they've kicked out of their natural environment, and let Darwin sort it out.

seal
03-26-2015, 01:05 PM
No wonder the the greenies hate us so much with comments like that one.

Darwin's law no longer works so well, we are trying to rubberize the world.

DarkShadow
03-26-2015, 02:37 PM
No wonder the the greenies hate us so much with comments like that one.

No *****.

Seriously? Let's kill the native population because we decided it was a great spot to build a reservoir?

Let's hope FishingKid87 has a FishingDad45 that can explain to him why his comment was ludicrous...but I seriously doubt it will.

BentRod
03-26-2015, 05:30 PM
No *****.

Seriously? Let's kill the native population because we decided it was a great spot to build a reservoir?

Let's hope FishingKid87 has a FishingDad45 that can explain to him why his comment was ludicrous...but I seriously doubt it will.

Dark, I'm surprised you haven't been bashed as a tree hugging leftist yet! I'm sure they will get around to it. Haha

DarkShadow
03-26-2015, 05:48 PM
Dark, I'm surprised you haven't been bashed as a tree hugging leftist yet! I'm sure they will get around to it. Haha

The night is young. ...

etucker1959
03-26-2015, 06:27 PM
I would pity the fool who would try!!!!!

BentRod
03-26-2015, 06:48 PM
I would pity the fool who would try!!!!!
Haha That's true!

lucky1
03-27-2015, 09:26 AM
I've seen rattle snakes sleeping under the rocks next to the boat ramp there.

HawgZWylde
03-27-2015, 10:36 AM
I say people learn how to live with species they've kicked out of their natural environment, and let Darwin sort it out.

Yup, we need the Rattlers to keep the Kangaroo rat population under control since they won't let us in early enough to run them over on the road up the hill. Sucks cuz the top water bite is nearly over before we can get on the water...

Riverdale
04-02-2015, 11:16 AM
The black and white snake are
The king snake,there the good.....
Ones... Lol,,,,

Cm The King snakes will hunt down and Kill the rattlers,natures way of keeping the playing Field level HAHA..No reason for humans to kill them..

seal
04-02-2015, 02:35 PM
I've almost stepped on a Mohave Green in a hail storm also saw a little rattler in Miller Canyon of Silverwood curled up under a tree, not so unusual of course except that there was about a half foot of snow on the ground, that one really surprised me and made me rethink my idea that I only need to have my head on a swivel when the weather warms. Many more encounters at Silverwood including one giant that surprised the crap out of me and I must have leaped 10 feet or more which is even more shocking considering I have fairly short legs and my worst track and field sport was the triple jump.

Bears and mountain lions don't really freak me out but rattlesnakes make me pucker big time!

DarkShadow
04-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Bears and mountain lions don't really freak me out but rattlesnakes make me pucker big time!

If we follow Devore's plan, all we need to do is pray for rattlesnake extinction and then we'd all be better off not having to pucker big time.

Brent
04-02-2015, 03:43 PM
If we follow Devore's plan, all we need to do is pray for rattlesnake extinction and then we'd all be better off not having to pucker big time.

Just pray for everything but bass and fishermen to die off, then we have it made. If you're going to go....go big...lol