PDA

View Full Version : Big Tijunga River

dhntr48
03-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Hi guys , the Big t river was wiped out in the station fire . From top to bottom not a single fish exists . I fished there for 40 years and at one At one time it was the sleeper trout fishery . Largest fish I saw taken was 4 pounds 8oz at 26 inches . My best was 20 inches ,I always had 25 fish days letting all fish go! One day in 1994 I NAILED 6 OVER 18 LARGEST BEING 20 . It was always good fishing even years after DFG stocks . The big T had wild fish from top to bottom . Fish could be caught all the way down to Hansen Dam . The Big T dam provided cold water to the lower river , creating a tail water fishery . THE UPPER IS CLOSED TO ENTRY NOW , for now don't bother to go it will be along time before we fish there again . I still fish other creeks in the area also but I really miss the Big T

HunterAndy
03-25-2015, 02:56 AM
I grew up fishing there. I miss those days. I know exactly what you are talking about because I experienced it my self as well. When I was younger I would ditch school, go to the pet shop, grab some crickets and head up. Those were the best of times...

shinbob
03-25-2015, 07:42 AM
That's a shame. My sleeper stream was the Arroyo Seco, but the Station fire wiped that out too and I don' think there's any fish left in there either.

I hope that after this drought is over they plant some fingerling trout up there to try to get them established again, but I suspect they won't because of all the EIRs they would have to do.

Viejo
03-25-2015, 08:07 AM
90% of the Angeles waters are heavily impacted by drought....massive silting...low water high water temps and very poor fish habitat. The Forest/Monument is embarking on a large scale fish kill is several streams because of the the endangered frogs. It will more then likely not be a great wild fishery in my lifetime. Situation is the same throughout Socal waters. Sierras are in the same boat. Pray for a change in long range weather patterns.

dhntr48
03-25-2015, 09:19 AM
Yes The Big T , Arroyo Seco ,Pickins canyon Crk , and the Upper west fork of the san Gabriel River are history . You know Steel head trout lived together with the frogs for 10,000 years ,along with the great bear on our state flag . At the Gene Autrie Museum it historically tells of the salmon and steelhead that graced the LA river . Fish were always in those Rivers and streams . Even before there was a fish and game Dept . And its well documented also. I still have other spots I wont talk about here ,I sure some of you guys know them well

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
03-26-2015, 07:59 PM
isnt this reallllllly reallly reallly old news

fish hunt
03-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Yes The Big T , Arroyo Seco ,Pickins canyon Crk , and the Upper west fork of the san Gabriel River are history . You know Steel head trout lived together with the frogs for 10,000 years ,along with the great bear on our state flag . At the Gene Autrie Museum it historically tells of the salmon and steelhead that graced the LA river . Fish were always in those Rivers and streams . Even before there was a fish and game Dept . And its well documented also. I still have other spots I wont talk about here ,I sure some of you guys know them well

you are 100% correct the south end of san clemente has san mateo creek steel head were found by dfg some years back pray for rain so that something mite survive

DarkShadow
03-27-2015, 08:59 AM
The Forest/Monument is embarking on a large scale fish kill is several streams because of the the endangered frogs.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=45086&exp=overview

Is it this that you're referring to, Viejo?

Viejo
03-27-2015, 10:48 AM
Pretty much is. What was not devastated by drought and effects of the Station Fire will now made sterile by the biologists. Pretty soon, the only fishing on the Forest there will be videos of what fish used to live there at the Visitor Center.

DMS
03-27-2015, 12:05 PM
wow, I used to fish upper and lower Tijunga and other creeks in the area for many, many trout, but never any larger than, say 14". Mostly I caught stockers, but there were plenty of natural fish in certain sections. I don't know if you got those big ones downstream, closer to Hansen Dam and the wash areas. Maybe up closer to the dam or farther out away from the roadside/stocking areas. Most of the places I was fishing (during the years I fished there), had pretty small water for larger fish. Where did those big ones live? Don't worry about giving up the fishing spots as they are frog water now.
I had some nice trips in upper Tijunga too. Arroyo Seco, Malibu Creek, Piru Creek, Bouquet Canyon, Lytle Creek and others.
I couldn't bring myself to go look after the fire, but I understood all those grandfathered cabins/houses were burned to the ground.

Nowadays, they won't plant even if the river is plantable.

At least I have a lot of stripers to catch and a decent boat to chase them.

carpanglerdude
03-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Sad stuff.