PDA

View Full Version : new lake record!!!

riverside_angler
03-23-2015, 08:02 PM
check this out!!!
http://sdfish.com/freshwater-fishing-news/4420-16-2-pound-bass-caught-at-lake-skinner-potential-record-breaker

HawgZWylde
03-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Uh oh, look out Pat, Skinner just got bombed.

This fish is a PIG! Geez she's fat...

Big-Bob
03-23-2015, 10:02 PM
I wonder how much more pressure the lake will get?

I hope the bass was handled right and makes it. That is one beautiful fish.

P.A.W.
03-24-2015, 06:38 AM
There was another giant caught Monday I hear. Both were supposedly caught fishing the No Fishing area around the Marina. Anyway, the anglers from out of the area are indeed coming more and more. As I got off the water Yesterday a couple were launching and asked me the best spots and techniques for this lake.

Fnguyen5992
03-24-2015, 07:18 AM
Come end of April skinner will be so pressured and fished out its going to get harder n harder to fish! All the dvl guys are going to bombard the lake and there's going to be no room to fish. Hit it while it's good cause I am!

chompot
03-24-2015, 08:29 AM
I hope the bass was handled right and makes it. That is one beautiful fish.

The fish will be just fine. Probably is not the first time it has been caught and still lived to 16 lbs. These guys know what they are doing.

Both were supposedly caught fishing the No Fishing area around the Marina.

Here comes the rumor mill.... Lot's of "supposedly" and "I heard" will be coming out of no where.

Come on guys, the dude caught a fish of a lifetime. A simple congrats without the speculation would be nice.

seal
03-24-2015, 09:25 AM
It stated in the article that he was casting "towards" the boat dock. Some lakes casting into no fishing zones is ok, at least not enforced, other lakes not so much. Kind of standard practice and I wouldn't look at it as "fishing the no fishing area".

That fish has been enjoying some rainbow meat for sure!

Fishingdachronarch201E7
03-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Wow, MONSTER for sure, congrats to him!

Thanks for sharing

gogreeenz4
03-24-2015, 10:49 AM
this is great....as if skinner wasn't gonna get pounded enough with Diamond closing now a 16 comes out of there and is all over social media etc :Finger:

DBass
03-24-2015, 11:01 AM
thats a beast, congrats for sure!

I was out there Sunday and lots of people on the lake but seen some people fishing the no fishing area from boats, the docks and because of the low water on shore. seen some big bass in that area but being a no fishing area i didn't fish there. i guess rules are only for people who follow them? LOL I dont know how many times i was working down the shore only to be cut off by a guy motoring in right over the beds either by skinner navy or other boaters. its only gonna get worse now!

Stormcrow
03-24-2015, 11:16 AM
what a beautiful fish. Wow she is perfect.

P.A.W.
03-24-2015, 03:27 PM
thats a beast, congrats for sure!

I was out there Sunday and lots of people on the lake but seen some people fishing the no fishing area from boats, the docks and because of the low water on shore. seen some big bass in that area but being a no fishing area i didn't fish there. i guess rules are only for people who follow them? LOL I dont know how many times i was working down the shore only to be cut off by a guy motoring in right over the beds either by skinner navy or other boaters. its only gonna get worse now!
This is pretty much what I was talking about. No rumors. I see what I see and I'm on the lake pretty regularly.

With the coming crowds.... and they will be coming, it is a good time to remember that the lake has a 10mph limit, and limited space, so give each other some room. Also for those who are new to Skinner the fish there do not like to be parked upon. This is not Okechogee. Keep some distance and cast to the fish instead of barreling into a cove . Everyone will be happier.
And Yes it is a huge, fat, healthy fish!

Fishbreath
03-24-2015, 04:34 PM
There was another giant caught Monday I hear.
Here is that one. Not weighed at the dock, but said to be close to 17 lbs.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/ryan-crandell-big-bass-skinner-DONTUSE_zpszsavusak.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/Fishbreath92028/media/ryan-crandell-big-bass-skinner-DONTUSE_zpszsavusak.jpg.html)

P.A.W.
03-24-2015, 04:43 PM
Man Fishbreath that thing deserves its own post. Good Gawd! The mouth on that thing. She could easily swallow a small duck (and I'm sure she has). See Chompot, no rumor.

JAG107
03-24-2015, 05:12 PM
As I got off the water Yesterday a couple were launching and asked me the best spots and techniques for this lake.

And you told them to head straight to the inlet with a bucket of chicken livers, right? ;)

Fishbreath
03-24-2015, 05:13 PM
Man Fishbreath that thing deserves its own post. Good Gawd! The mouth on that thing. She could easily swallow a small duck (and I'm sure she has). See Chompot, no rumor.

More details here. (http://www.sdfish.com/forums/t/16-17-pound-bass-caught-at-skinner-monday.148256/#post-365151)

Stinkbait
03-24-2015, 09:30 PM
O
The fish will be just fine. Probably is not the first time it has been caught and still lived to 16 lbs. These guys know what they are doing.

Here comes the rumor mill.... Lot's of "supposedly" and "I heard" will be coming out of no where.

Come on guys, the dude caught a fish of a lifetime. A simple congrats without the speculation would be nice.

Met a complete stranger at another lake today talking about it being caught inside the buoy line. You are right about the rumor mill. On the flip side, what if you were the guy with the lake record and it got broken in an illegal manner. Just saying....

HawgZWylde
03-24-2015, 10:02 PM
There was another giant caught Monday I hear. Both were supposedly caught fishing the No Fishing area around the Marina. Anyway, the anglers from out of the area are indeed coming more and more. As I got off the water Yesterday a couple were launching and asked me the best spots and techniques for this lake.

Had an unexpected day off today and we snuck out to Skinner. Saw 3 boats and a gaggle of people fishing in the "NO FISHING ZONE". Didn't see anyone chasing them out and they remained there for quite some time. Also saw a big fat roughly 6lber dead floating in the East end. Saw another fat roughly 4-5 lber floating on the Southside, dead. BOOM! it has begun...

etucker1959
03-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Had an unexpected day off today and we snuck out to Skinner. Saw 3 boats and a gaggle of people fishing in the "NO FISHING ZONE". Didn't see anyone chasing them out and they remained there for quite some time. Also saw a big fat roughly 6lber dead floating in the East end. Saw another fat roughly 4-5 lber floating on the Southside, dead. BOOM! it has begun...
Boom what's begun?????? Is this any different from what happens most springs?????????

HawgZWylde
03-24-2015, 10:23 PM
Boom what's begun?????? Is this any different from what happens most springs?????????

You're off topic tucky. We are not talking about spring. We're talking about fishing and catching a record fish in a restricted area and it counting as a record. We're also talking about the soon to be closure of DVL and the crowds that will hit Skinner. You ever fished Skinner tucky? If you have then you should know how that lake can and will be blown up. Do you know what that means?

As for where I'm going when DVL's ramp shuts down? I'm gonna go bomb seal's house @ Silverwood...:Twisted:

ela
03-24-2015, 10:50 PM
this is great....as if skinner wasn't gonna get pounded enough with Diamond closing now a 16 comes out of there and is all over social media etc :Finger:

There's a lot of cry babies here! Dam, why can you guys compliment the guy who caught that big fish?

HawgZWylde
03-24-2015, 10:59 PM
I think it's great he caught this pig, that's a fish of a lifetime for many. All I got to say is he must be one hell of a caster with a LOT of line on his reel cause I know exactly where he took that pic...

ela
03-24-2015, 11:07 PM
Is lake skinner a public lake? Or one of you here owns that lake?> LOL.......
You're off topic tucky. We are not talking about spring. We're talking about fishing and catching a record fish in a restricted area and it counting as a record. We're also talking about the soon to be closure of DVL and the crowds that will hit Skinner. You ever fished Skinner tucky? If you have then you should know how that lake can and will be blown up. Do you know what that means?

As for where I'm going when DVL's ramp shuts down? I'm gonna go bomb seal's house @ Silverwood...:Twisted:

HawgZWylde
03-24-2015, 11:10 PM
Is lake skinner a public lake? Or one of you here owns that lake?> LOL.......

What's that got to do with fishing in a restricted area? And yes, Skinner is a "public lake". So I take it you've never fished Skinner?

etucker1959
03-24-2015, 11:37 PM

I was there the first day they opened it in the late 70's!!!! lol As for a record fish there seems to be controversy on most record fish, what's else is new!!!!! Once the ramp is closed at DVL, someone should report how much more traffic is at the other lakes!!!!! It might surprise you!!!! You still haven't told us what blown up means in your world. lol

HawgZWylde
03-25-2015, 12:07 AM
I was there the first day they opened it in the late 70's!!!! lol As for a record fish there seems to be controversy on most record fish, what's else is new!!!!! Once the ramp is closed at DVL, someone should report how much more traffic is at the other lakes!!!!! It might surprise you!!!! You still haven't told us what blown up means in your world. lol

One, I'm not the one who said he caught it in a "NO FISHING Zone". I said I saw 3 boats and a gaggle of shore anglers fishing in said zone. Did you see this post of mine tucky?

I think it's great he caught this pig, that's a fish of a lifetime for many. All I got to say is he must be one hell of a caster with a LOT of line on his reel cause I know exactly where he took that pic...

Put your thinking cap on and try to figure out what that meant. As for what "blown up" means? Put the bottle down tucky, not my problem if you don't know what that means...

Fnguyen5992
03-25-2015, 04:25 AM
Lol this is funny! Fish fight!

NFCD I
03-25-2015, 06:40 AM

I was going to stay out of this, but what the hell. First of all, that is one hell of a fish. Secondly, the fish was caught in a marked no fishing. I have witnessed the guy that caught it several times in the area fishing the docks. I have also witnessed him being told to leave that area on several occasions. Once the Ranger leaves, he right back throwing at the docks. The fish was put in the live well and pics were taken later in the day at a different location.

chompot
03-25-2015, 08:31 AM
I was going to stay out of this, but what the hell. First of all, that is one hell of a fish. Secondly, the fish was caught in a marked no fishing. I have witnessed the guy that caught it several times in the area fishing the docks. I have also witnessed him being told to leave that area on several occasions. Once the Ranger leaves, he right back throwing at the docks. The fish was put in the live well and pics were taken later in the day at a different location.

That in no means takes away from the sheer size of the donkey fish he caught.

This is the same as breaking the lake speed limit during a tournament. Who cares!?

What about people who catch fish in closed ponds... (i.e. golf courses, private ranches, etc.)... A big fish is a big fish. He did not catch this fish in a fish tank. It is a wild fish and has seen it all. He caught it plain and simple.

The whole NO FISHING ZONE is an absolute joke! Many lakes have no marina fishing rules, but the employees many times will be seen fishing them, so what is the difference??

seal
03-25-2015, 09:09 AM

Damn it this is a Skinner thread why you gotta mention the other "S" lake?

Come on up. The good news is the lake has clamped down on the main off limits fishing zones, well at least they were haven't heard any recent stories of tickets and arrests.

seal
03-25-2015, 09:25 AM
That in no means takes away from the sheer size of the donkey fish he caught.

This is the same as breaking the lake speed limit during a tournament. Who cares!?

I care and many others do also. It's called an equal playing field, it's called sportsmanship, it's called having pride in how you caught that fish of a lifetime, it's called respecting the authorities.

This "who cares" narrative is one that screws everybody in the end. There was a no fishing spot at Silverwood that some locals fished under the light of the moon, very few did it or knew about it. A new set of anglers started fishing the lake when swimbait fishing became a phenomenon, that spot was invaded day and night, live trout use, chunking and chumming of trout became prevalent, day and night. Huge groups would walk into it without a care including families and would take home huge largemouth out of there that in the past had the time to get to that size because of where they were hanging out. Now because those that invaded the lake showed little respect for the authorities it has now become a highly enforced area and tickets will be issued for the most part as opposed to a warning.

Some that would scream about those that keep one of those largemouth or striper would still fish illegally to catch and release and also then report the catch of the fish to get the glory but would give an inaccurate location for the catch of the fish, I know of countless fish that fall into this category. It's one thing to catch one of these fish in an illegal zone but then to report it to get glory from it when others are unwilling to break the law to catch that fish of a lifetime is where I and others have a problem.

DEVOREFLYER
03-25-2015, 09:30 AM
I'm just guessin' that the same type of person that would cheat or bend the rules while fishing or hunting would have no problem cheating on his wife or employer. It's all about doing the right thing even when no one is watching.......

P.A.W.
03-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Agreed. The idea that it's ok just because people do it is absurd. People do all kinds of crap that harms fisheries but that does not make it ok "just cuz". As with all rules and laws, if you don't like them then work to change them, but respect for the system is paramount in a civilized society. Now that chompot's argument of rumor is shot down by an eye witness he resorts to any thread of resistance he can muster.

twin22s
03-25-2015, 12:37 PM
I'm confused, I fish Skinner a couple times a year from shore and from boats. I know there is no boats beyond the buoy line for safety reasons but there are no rules about casting over the buoys and catching fish. fishing from shore i noticed there are signs at the launch ramp that says no fishing from that point to the other sign down the way. But I'm not sure that applies to boats. If there is a buoy line around the marina marking a no "fishing zone" I would assume to keep the area clear of boat traffic so parking your boat outside the line and casting in is perfectly legal. technicalities aside he probably didn't catch the fish there anyway but won't give any proof otherwise because he doesn't want everyone harassing the fish all spring. you people need to spend as much time practicing fishing as you do criticizing everyone else and maybe you can catch a 15 LBer one day too.

PS.That is a Nice! fish, good to see skinner picking up. I hope credit is given IF credit is due, and I believe it is.

HuskerRod
03-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Dang, amazing fish. I saw a different picture of the kid standing up holding the beast. Im not sure what is more impressive.............the catch or the fishing mural covering his torso.

seal
03-25-2015, 01:17 PM
I'm confused, I fish Skinner a couple times a year from shore and from boats. I know there is no boats beyond the buoy line for safety reasons but there are no rules about casting over the buoys and catching fish. fishing from shore i noticed there are signs at the launch ramp that says no fishing from that point to the other sign down the way. But I'm not sure that applies to boats. If there is a buoy line around the marina marking a no "fishing zone" I would assume to keep the area clear of boat traffic so parking your boat outside the line and casting in is perfectly legal. technicalities aside he probably didn't catch the fish there anyway but won't give any proof otherwise because he doesn't want everyone harassing the fish all spring. you people need to spend as much time practicing fishing as you do criticizing everyone else and maybe you can catch a 15 LBer one day too.

PS.That is a Nice! fish, good to see skinner picking up. I hope credit is given IF credit is due, and I believe it is.

It says it right in the article that it was caught casting towards the boat docks and if it's not true then all that's been done is that 50 other boats are going to be tossing towards the boat docks from the bouy line. I've done it, it's pretty common practice from a boat in many lakes, but sure wouldn't announce it to the media or report the fish when others know that you fished that area, it's just opening a can of worms and like the example I stated more will do the same thing now which may cause the lake to clamp down.

Social media screws up a lot of fishing spots in my mind no matter what some may say.

DBass
03-25-2015, 01:20 PM
I dont think anyone is taking anything away from the catch, the discussion is about fishing in a no fishing zone, there buoys and signs are clearly marked around the marina, no wake and no fishing. no means no. LOL i have seen people fishing in there and even the dock workers but to say he is doing it so im going to does not help the situation it only adds to the problem. take pride in what you do, i had boaters driving with there outboards cutting in like they were going to park a car 10 ft in front of me from me while working a bank and they went all the way to 5ft from the bank in 2ft of water for 100ft and then left, i just looked at him like really? he didnt see anything wrong with it so should i fire up my 250hp and do the same because he did it? no. if you dont have pride or following the rules wether onshore or in a boat, then dont be surprised when i take a picture of you or video and show it to the lake sheriff and you get a ticket for unsafe boating.

again no one is taking anything away from the catch. awesome job to hook a beast and land it, awesome! glad to see another 16+ come out of the lake, i have seen a few high teens in the tullies when the lake was high last year.

seal
03-25-2015, 03:50 PM
I dont think anyone is taking anything away from the catch, the discussion is about fishing in a no fishing zone, there buoys and signs are clearly marked around the marina, no wake and no fishing. no means no. LOL i have seen people fishing in there and even the dock workers but to say he is doing it so im going to does not help the situation it only adds to the problem. take pride in what you do, i had boaters driving with there outboards cutting in like they were going to park a car 10 ft in front of me from me while working a bank and they went all the way to 5ft from the bank in 2ft of water for 100ft and then left, i just looked at him like really? he didnt see anything wrong with it so should i fire up my 250hp and do the same because he did it? no. if you dont have pride or following the rules wether onshore or in a boat, then dont be surprised when i take a picture of you or video and show it to the lake sheriff and you get a ticket for unsafe boating.

again no one is taking anything away from the catch. awesome job to hook a beast and land it, awesome! glad to see another 16+ come out of the lake, i have seen a few high teens in the tullies when the lake was high last year.

Thank you! I sometimes dance around the edges and you got straight to the point and also in congratulating him on the catch, no doubt about it just catching and boating it was an accomplishment. I have a few friends that stray from the straight and narrow when fishing, I try not to judge anymore it's so much the norm I feel like there's something wrong with me, lol.

SILVER CARP SUPERSTAR
04-03-2015, 07:40 PM
That same fish was caught the next day in the same spot using the same bait.