PDA

View Full Version : Closing boat dock cove to boats????

BentRod
03-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Are you kidding me! That is BS. The lake is already small enough and that is prime fishing area right now. Since they are taking away close to a quarter of the lake they should reduce the rate for boaters. We are paying to use the whole lake just like the tubers.

chompot
03-19-2015, 06:09 PM
I didn't even know I could fish there. haha I stayed out of it when I was there on Tuesday.

BentRod
03-19-2015, 06:36 PM
I didn't even know I could fish there. haha I stayed out of it when I was there on Tuesday.

It's only about 4' deep though. Don't get me wrong it is an honorable thing they are doing with the tourney and I plan on donating to the family. However, I don't agree with sectioning of part of the lake. That is boater discrimination !!

Viejo
03-19-2015, 09:57 PM
Life has never been fair. It will be open the next time you go there.

troutdog
03-19-2015, 10:06 PM
BentRod check your PM when you have a moment.

TD

gogreeenz4
03-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Irvine Lake strikes again showing great service and real care for the people it rips off to fish a puddle... go Irvine Lake :Smile:

chompot
03-20-2015, 09:35 AM
Irvine Lake strikes again showing great service and real care for the people it rips off to fish a puddle... go Irvine Lake :Smile:

I'm not sure where you live, but I know for me Irvine Lake makes economical sense, especially when fishing solo. as I add more people on my boat the cost of going to further lakes decreases of course as the costs can be split.

I have all the lakes I want to fish plugged into excel. I factor in the average fuel cost, mpg, distance, and all the fees the lake charges.

If you live in OC and fish solo going to Irvine is actually cheaper than driving to Perris and definitely cheaper than driving to DVL.

I say this because I assume by "rip off" you are talking about cost/person to fish.

Do the other lakes provide more "value" ? To some, yes! Open up the boats motor, more people to split costs with to make fishing cheaper, etc.

If you are in OC another factor is time. Irvine is closer. I cannot buy time with my 7 week old son. I would pay a premium all day to be home sooner to see him.

Man that was long winded, but I encourage you to break down the lakes you fish by cost and then also consider the "value" each of them have to do. You may change your mind an realize they all serve a purpose.

Posted from phone. Excuse any errors.

gogreeenz4
03-20-2015, 10:07 AM
sometimes its worth the extra coin to actually fish a lake bigger then a city park pond....

I work hard and don't count pennies but instead count fish and area to fish... I encourage you to break down the lakes you fish by the amount of fishable water.

sierra cove had 18 boats in it at one point last weekend... its not really thec ost but the lack of service. there ramp is crap the price keeps going up and the water keeps going down and they sure make it seem like they could care less about the angler and more about the dollar.

chompot
03-20-2015, 10:17 AM
I agree with you to an extent. They all serve a purpose. I am just not sure what bashing them online accomplishes.

I fished on Tuesday and entry was only $12. I don't fish it on the weekends, but will be there this weekend on Sunday.

I'm not sure on your numbers of fish, but Irvine does have a healthy population of bass.

Maybe I am just a glass half full kinda guy though.

gogreeenz4
03-20-2015, 10:37 AM
when you pay 10 bucks to launch a boat off a dirt hill its kind of frustrating that they charge for that.
they have a great population of bass and have some real healthy fish but when its that small of a lake and that crowded ( weekends ) it is way worth spending the cash to go to elsewhere.

Perris is what 20 bucks to get in park launch etc and for me its about 30-40 bucks in gas round trip so it actually is cheaper then paying 60 to fish two and launch at Irvine.. and they have an actually launch ramp I am not playing bumper boats with pontoons with 9 people on them and dealing with people trolling on a park pond....

look at the glass who ever you may but Irvine is way over priced for its size...specially if you own a boat and catch bass

Stormcrow
03-20-2015, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure where you live, but I know for me Irvine Lake makes economical sense, especially when fishing solo. as I add more people on my boat the cost of going to further lakes decreases of course as the costs can be split.

I have all the lakes I want to fish plugged into excel. I factor in the average fuel cost, mpg, distance, and all the fees the lake charges.

If you live in OC and fish solo going to Irvine is actually cheaper than driving to Perris and definitely cheaper than driving to DVL.

I say this because I assume by "rip off" you are talking about cost/person to fish.

Do the other lakes provide more "value" ? To some, yes! Open up the boats motor, more people to split costs with to make fishing cheaper, etc.

If you are in OC another factor is time. Irvine is closer. I cannot buy time with my 7 week old son. I would pay a premium all day to be home sooner to see him.

Man that was long winded, but I encourage you to break down the lakes you fish by cost and then also consider the "value" each of them have to do. You may change your mind an realize they all serve a purpose.

Posted from phone. Excuse any errors.

I don't need an excel spreadsheet to know how much a trip to DVL, Perris or Silverwood cost me.... I live 15 minutes from Irvine and I have no desire to launch there....If they offered an annual pass I would totally reconsider. But I would rather go to Perris and catch 30 fish.

chompot
03-20-2015, 10:46 AM
I agree on many of your points.

I just see it as the water district could also kick the concession to the curb and we wouldn't have it as an option.

I have been fishing DVL mostly this year. Perris I stay away from. Mostly on the weekends because of the yahoos. They all serve their purpose.

If I had time I would just make the trip to Vail.

Stormcrow
03-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Its a shame too because I think Irvine hold some nice bass

chompot
03-20-2015, 10:50 AM
I don't need an excel spreadsheet to know how much a trip to DVL, Perris or Silverwood cost me.... I live 15 minutes from Irvine and I have no desire to launch there....If they offered an annual pass I would totally reconsider. But I would rather go to Perris and catch 30 fish.

Don't get me wrong. I would "rather" go to Perris or DVL too, but Irvine fits a niche for me. Time crunch is usually the reason. I can actually fish it and get to work.

You can catch 30 fish at Irvine too.

My thoughts are take it for what it is
It isn't always the best option, but I would rather fish than sit at home.

BentRod
03-20-2015, 01:19 PM
BentRod check your PM when you have a moment.

TD

TD did you get my PM was having trouble sending it

Brent
03-20-2015, 04:30 PM
Glad to see so many people have no clue...lol

It is a real bummer to have that part of the lake blocked off right now. I've waited all year to fish that area and only have limited days to do it.
I am/was planning on fishing Saturday, but now may have to look elsewhere.

If they're closing the boat dock cove to boats and allowing only kayaks and float tubes, then why the hell are the float tubes and kayaks allowed to fish the rest of the lake where we have limited access to fish now??????
How about they stay there all day while we fish the rest of the lake. Seems like a double standard????

By the way, I also will be donating to the family also, so don't start whining.

Brent

VineAssist
03-20-2015, 07:49 PM
We are closing the boat dock cove area for one day for the float tubers and kayakers in honor of Tramel Kerl. Its one day only!!!!!!!!

Brent
03-20-2015, 08:18 PM
I know it's one day, but I work a lot and it's the only day I have.
It's just a lot to pay to have limited area to fish. It's not like there's going to be oh... Say 500 people there already...lol
At least they won't all be on jet skis or wakeboard boats. See, my glass is now half full also...hahaha
Although edicate there can be severely lacking at times too.

Brent

JAG107
03-20-2015, 09:06 PM
As someone who primarily trolls, I could give a fart about closing boat dock cove to boats. Fishing in 4 feet of water elbow to elbow, you're basically targeting fresh stockers Corona lake style. I also appreciate the gesture the lake staff is making in memorial of Tramel. Would Perris do that for something like that for one of their longtime customers?
I agree about the weekend crowding, and it's more and more apparent when the lake is low. And the way I see it, the launch fee isn't meant to raise funds for maintaining and improving the launch facilities, it's the "F U for bringing your own boat and not renting one of ours" Fee. Just like when I get my annual personal property tax assessment, the California "F U for owning a boat" tax. It just comes along with being a baller and not renting tin cans or shore pounding.
The annual pass idea would be awesome. In fact, I just bought one for Silverwood. Even though it's a little farther away for me than Irvine, I can count on good fishing all year, good water levels and not worrying about being crowded out. For Irvine, I think being crowded is a good thing for them. I love the tournaments and the effort the staff puts in, it's just hard for me to continually pay over $65 for my family to get skunked...especially at the opener! "That's why it's called fishing and not catching." Yeah, I know.
I do have one REAL complaint about Irvine Lake though, getting rid of the draft beer at Roger's Cafe. WTF you guys?!

troutdog
03-20-2015, 09:11 PM
TD did you get my PM was having trouble sending it

I got both of them! :LOL:

All good, hope to see you at the lake.

TD

Brent
03-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Great job on the memorial tourney to the Irvine staff. I hope that all money donated can at least help a little bit.
Looks like everyone had some fun and caught some nice fish as well.
I would post a fish report, but let's just say....it was one of 'those' days for me. I sure hope that's out of my system.

Brent