PDA

View Full Version : A tale of 2 Skinners

P.A.W.
03-12-2015, 01:37 PM
OK so I went out Wednesday and did pretty well. Got 8 Stripers from 2-3 pounds each. Got 2 on jerkbaits and the rest on topwaters. They all came early and when the wind came up around 8am it turned off. I heard that they were going to stock trout later that day but when the trout didn't come by noon I went home, looking forward to the following morning when the big stripers would be munching on 'bows.

Got there early today and hit the water still dark. Started trolling my big bait with a topwater ready just in case. Got 1 bump and that's it. Didn't see or meter any big fish. I called NFCD to be sure he saw the trout plant.... yup. So I high tailed it to the spot I did so well the day before. Nada. I then went back to the trout stock area and tried again.... nada. I then dropped the u-rig and did a turn around the lake. I found some bait deep and parked over it. Dropped a white jig and pumped it. Finally one on! It was a 6 pound Largemouth. Oh well, at least no skunk. Went home at 11:45 still wondering why the stripers weren't on the trout early...... Skinner

Talked to a bass guy (Fordman) and he was hitting some on top water and cranks.

Harley51
03-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Pat how are you. I hear the water level is down.

P.A.W.
03-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Yah, water is just a couple feet away from equaling its lowest point from a month ago. Oh, I'm fine. Thanks

NFCD I
03-12-2015, 08:53 PM
I've witnessed 2 trout stockings in the last 2-3 weeks at Skinner. From what I've seen, there weren't enough trout stocked to fire up the Stripers. They are stocking some big trout, but the numbers seemed low. They stocked yesterday afternoon and Pat said today there wasn't any sign of them. From what I've heard, the trout normally stay in the area they were stocked for the 1st 24 hours.

P.A.W.
03-13-2015, 06:02 AM
Yup, as I was docking and removing my boat I saw a guy fishing from the launch ramp and catching 2 or 3 trout before they chased him away.

ddoskocil
03-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Way to keep working, Pat. Thanks for the reports...I haven't been out in a while, I need to fish!

stripes21
03-13-2015, 09:21 AM
What's your best guess on what happened to the striper bite? I think some days they are on shad out past the buoy line in deep water where no one can reach them.

NFCD I
03-13-2015, 11:10 AM
What's your best guess on what happened to the striper bite? I think some days they are on shad out past the buoy line in deep water where no one can reach them.

I would tend to agree with them being deep. I'm pretty sure the full moon we're coming off didn't help either.

TroutOnly
03-14-2015, 05:59 PM
mr stripeys in the deep water pat munchin on shad balls.............

P.A.W.
03-14-2015, 07:14 PM
Ya Bob, I have a few waypoints marked out there but they are elusive critters. Summer boils are just around the corner though.

TroutOnly
03-15-2015, 08:30 AM
pat are you one of those boil-whores....................lol............

P.A.W.
03-15-2015, 09:33 AM
Well, in my experience those summer boils are pretty much little rats like 1 pounders. But it means productive u-rig time too. Double hookups common. Gotta say though, there is something about splashing water that makes me want to pick up a top-water. So ok guilty!

TroutOnly
03-15-2015, 11:38 AM
that's alright pat i'm one also, I love that time of the year............

JigStop
03-23-2015, 12:39 PM
The striper in Skinner are not like "Pavlov's Dogs" after the nearly two year drought of no trout the fish have forgotten what the dinner bell or water splashing into the lake from the stocking trucks sound like. Give them a few more plants and it will be on again.