PDA

View Full Version : any opinions?

hookdfisherman
03-09-2015, 08:06 PM

which of these hook set-ups are best? are there better?

Cadillyak
03-09-2015, 09:50 PM
Well u did ask for opinions. I'll take the ringed all day. Especially when fishing live bait like a Mac or dine as this gives them more free flowing movement. There could be better, but all depends on how you you are fishing and what you are targeting.

exfactor
03-09-2015, 10:48 PM
I don't use those kind of hooks, mine have the eyes 90 degrees from those

MikesOcean
03-09-2015, 11:03 PM
Just my opinion.

I think ring hooks can be great when there is
- A very tough bite
- using lighter line
- bait is in A+ condition.

I think that ring hook can hurt you by slowing down bait sometimes if bait ain't cured.
WFO bite save your money and throw mustad hooks.

There's a knot you can make that can accomplish that loop and have better action with bait but I forgot
The name.

I don't like the owner ring hooks because they are too bulky.

hookdfisherman
03-09-2015, 11:08 PM

Well u did ask for opinions. I'll take the ringed all day. Especially when fishing live bait like a Mac or dine as this gives them more free flowing movement. There could be better, but all depends on how you you are fishing and what you are targeting.

I do not worry too much about how the bait swims (maybe i should?). I feel that if the bait swims, he is doing his job. I also use ringless and if the bait is swimming less freely, I'm not too sure it matters much because I do catch fish, nonetheless.

I think more about the how the ringed or ringless hook draws through a fish's mouth (once he takes the bait) and how it embeds into it's flesh. I know that when I pull the ringed through my thumb and forefinger that it can draw at a more perpendicular fashion and set deeper into the flesh. Whereas the ringless hook MAY draw "flatter" through a fish's mouth and may even slip through a fish's partially opened mouth, and could miss catching that fish altogether.

Would you give me some examples of the "better set-ups" and the other circumstances that may arise?

I use ringed and ringless for blue and yellow fin, and also for yellowtail.

Thanks for your help!

hookdfisherman
03-09-2015, 11:13 PM
I don't use those kind of hooks, mine have the eyes 90 degrees from those

I use the 90 degree hooks too. Mustad, they're great hooks. Inexpensive and when they go bad, you just get a new one.

hookdfisherman
03-09-2015, 11:19 PM

Just my opinion.

I think ring hooks can be great when there is
- A very tough bite
- using lighter line
- bait is in A+ condition.

I think that ring hook can hurt you by slowing down bait sometimes if bait ain't cured.
WFO bite save your money and throw mustad hooks.

There's a knot you can make that can accomplish that loop and have better action with bait but I forgot
The name.

I don't like the owner ring hooks because they are too bulky.

Is it the perfection loop? I want to use that loop but am wondering how good a knot that is? Does it have the strength of a knot that sits tight to the eye of the hook? i.e. improved clinch or palomar?

MikesOcean
03-09-2015, 11:31 PM
Hmmm.. That name sounds right. I cant say I have 100% confidence in that loop knot because I have not used it
Religiously. Worked great for me but I completely forgot how to do it. I always try to remember it but just can't seem to.

I guess the big question would depend on what your fishing for?

20-40lb fish on overnighters?

Or are you talking multi day trips 4 days +. If multi day trips
70-100lb fish or more I don't think I would mess with that loop knot.

Just tie straight to the hook best knots known.

But I do love that ring hook. But it has backfired on me.

Been on boats where I was bit the most with it, and been on boats
Where they wouldn't touch my baits unless I switched back to a standard hook.
Go figure..

hookdfisherman
03-10-2015, 12:42 AM

Hmmm.. That name sounds right. I cant say I have 100% confidence in that loop knot because I have not used it
Religiously. Worked great for me but I completely forgot how to do it. I always try to remember it but just can't seem to.

I guess the big question would depend on what your fishing for?

20-40lb fish on overnighters?

Or are you talking multi day trips 4 days +. If multi day trips
70-100lb fish or more I don't think I would mess with that loop knot.

Just tie straight to the hook best knots known.

But I do love that ring hook. But it has backfired on me.

Been on boats where I was bit the most with it, and been on boats
Where they wouldn't touch my baits unless I switched back to a standard hook.
Go figure..

Yes, I go on the shorter trips with smaller fish. I wouldn't be very confident if I used the loop with a 70+ pounder on the other end.

I guess the best thing is to have a little of both hooks and use what's working that day.

I have a friend who swears by the ringed. I just want to experiment with a few more of the options/innovations I come across to see if they work.

Thanks.

Perfection Loop (the hook is attached at the "B" loop, then pulled through the "A" loop)

hookdfisherman
03-10-2015, 07:42 AM

I wonder if the ringed hook makes noise? and if the fish are skittish, that makes them shy away from it?