PDA

View Full Version : where are the bass!

newb2fishing
03-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Hey everyone,

Ive recently relocated to northridge and i havent done much fishing recently and was wondering if anyone would have any info on where i might be able to catch some bass in the area
I appreciate any help and tips!

-Dakota

DarkShadow
03-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Dakota,

How far are you willing to travel?

If you're in Northridge, you have a few lakes that are relatively near to you, Castaic, Piru and Pyramid being the main three. With Spring already here no thanks to Al Gore, you have a few lakes already in pre-spawn mode, which makes bass more susceptible to being caught, and spring fisherman ready to proclaim they're the Bass Angler of the Year.

Tips?

I would focus on the three lakes I mentioned above. I don't know the level of your fishing knowledge, so I can't make specific recommendations as far as tackle, rigging, etc. since I don't know much about your fishing background. If you know how to rig and throw a weightless Senko and a drop shot, you should be on your way to catching (and hopefully releasing) some bass.

newb2fishing
03-09-2015, 02:57 PM
DarkShadow thank you very much i appreciate the time and response and tips its been a while since i have dipped my toes in the freshwater but remember every experience like it was yesterday! I would like to say that im very knowledgeable When it comes to rigging but actually fishing the technique id say i could use a bit more help. Never ever would i ever keep a bass i think they are just as sacred to me as they are to everyone else. Ive looked at the lakes and have been to castaic twice (both times a skunk) but i did enjoy it for what it was. Pretty much the way i see it is any day with the line in the water is a great day. Ive been very curious about the lagoon i remember seeing posts left and right about it but its seems that the chatter has died. Its worth a shot right? As far as travel id love to say that i would go to the moon and back to have a lake that i could rely on but that would be quite a bit of dough but im always willing to travel for a fishing trip

DarkShadow
03-09-2015, 03:11 PM
DarkShadow thank you very much i appreciate the time and response and tips its been a while since i have dipped my toes in the freshwater but remember every experience like it was yesterday! I would like to say that im very knowledgeable When it comes to rigging but actually fishing the technique id say i could use a bit more help. Never ever would i ever keep a bass i think they are just as sacred to me as they are to everyone else. Ive looked at the lakes and have been to castaic twice (both times a skunk) but i did enjoy it for what it was. Pretty much the way i see it is any day with the line in the water is a great day. Ive been very curious about the lagoon i remember seeing posts left and right about it but its seems that the chatter has died. Its worth a shot right? As far as travel id love to say that i would go to the moon and back to have a lake that i could rely on but that would be quite a bit of dough but im always willing to travel for a fishing trip

Castaic's Lagoon has its moments, but for this time of year, I'd rather gamble on the upper, considering that you can fish both the Main Ramp side, and also the West Ramp side if conditions merit. I know the lake is kinda low right now, which is the case for most lakes out here. Then again, you can pay to get into the lagoon, and then use your same pass to fish the upper's west or main ramp if need be....although, I'd rather start out at the upper before going to the lagoon.

The drop shot rig is a mainstay in SoCal and should be in every beginner's arsenal. You can research the specific baits and rigging methods, but if I could choose one color for Castaic, it would be the Oxblood w/ Red Flake color. If you drop shot a 4 or 6" worm, you should have no problems getting a fish interested. On the flip side, if you want to fly line a Senko in the same color pattern, or the trusty Watermelon Red Flake, you should also have no problems to get fish to go.

Make sure the baits are always touching the bottom, and make always know what your baits are doing at all times. This time of year is when you get get some finicky pigs barely inhaling your bait and unless you have very little slack on your line, there's no way of detecting it.

I would try Pyramid. It gives you a chance to catch stripers (which eat anything if you can find them) and also a chance at a smallmouth and a largemouth.

Pyramid has good shore access as well if you're willing to strap up the hiking boots.

newb2fishing
03-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Right on! Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it and cant wait to get out there and try this out ive been dying for a freshwater trip and with this info im sure i will be able to get something going. This year has me feeling confident ive gotten to experience some new stuff so i figure test myself and see if it is just luck or if im finally learning how to finesse things

-Dakota

Stinkbait
03-09-2015, 07:59 PM
With what DS said, I would also add a Texas rigged 4-6 inch plastic worm.
All this stuff will fit in one 4x6 inch box for your pocket and a hike.

If you are unfamiliar with the techniques just put drop shot worm, wacky rigged senko and Texas rigged worm in Google and you will know what to do in about three mins.