PDA

View Full Version : Big Bass caught at Irvine Lake

VineAssist
03-09-2015, 08:37 AM
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/jrg26p/photo.png (http://s667.photobucket.com/user/jrg26p/media/photo.png.html)
Doug Jentzsch of Cypress caught this 13.2 Largemouth Bass while fishing with guide Don Spencer from donfishon.con! He made the catch while drops hitting a 6in margarita mutilater roboworm in the Santiago Flats

PokerFish
03-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Wow, that's a pig!

chompot
03-09-2015, 07:28 PM
That's awesome.

muskyman
03-09-2015, 08:29 PM
my god, that is one nice fish. wow

dcfisherman
03-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Nice. Beautiful fish.

AndyJ
03-09-2015, 10:02 PM
That's sick. What a pig that bass is.

Stormcrow
03-10-2015, 10:38 AM
nice spawner....

iPhish
03-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Nice catch!

Was this pig of a bass C&R'd?

Brent
03-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Nice catch!

Was this pig of a bass C&R'd?

Since all bass at Irvine are catch and release only and Don's been at that lake for waaaay too many years. I'd bet my life on it.

Brent

Stinkbait
03-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Just shy of the record by a little over a pound.

iPhish
03-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Since all bass at Irvine are catch and release only and Don's been at that lake for waaaay too many years. I'd bet my life on it.

Brent

Still waiting for a definite answer. But still silence! Seems like a lot of pics far away from the water considering the lake is so low.

Stinkbait
03-10-2015, 09:20 PM
^^Spencer has put me on fish when I was in a rental and a complete stranger to him.

Far away from the water means nothing, bass boats have battery powered aerators in their live wells.
I'll vouch for him releasing as well. He is a tourney guy and a guide. He would want Irvine to thrive.

troutdog
03-10-2015, 10:25 PM
BEAUTIFUL fish, no surprise Don Spencer had his hands in the mix....awesome fishing guide and great dude.

Fish was definitely released, concerned bass anglers can rest easy knowing they got a shot at that fish now too!

TD

boomstikit
03-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Nice catch!

Hold the fish correctly next time.

etucker1959
03-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Nice catch!

Hold the fish correctly next time.
Just a quick question?????? Were you serious about "Hold the fish correctly next time????" OR is he your friend and your just messing with him?????

boomstikit
03-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Guess you have not seen that article going around (MLF, Wired2Fish, SDFish, even Facebook) about how to hold a DD fish?

etucker1959
03-11-2015, 01:26 PM
Guess you have not seen that article going around (MLF, Wired2Fish, SDFish, even Facebook) about how to hold a DD fish?

So you are being critical!!!! Since the picture was posted by Vine Assist and not by the Angler who actually caught the fish. Your statement will probably never be seen by the lucky angler. Unless you provided a link in your initial statement about how a DD should be held. You appeared to be critical for the sake of being critical!!!

DarkShadow
03-11-2015, 02:24 PM

I've learned to always cradle the belly, especially a fish that size....

But then again, I still see shots of wild trout sitting on dirt, "But I released it," so this is probably a fight not even worth fighting. I mean, a fish can still eat with a broken jaw, right?

etucker1959
03-11-2015, 05:44 PM
If someone wanted to start a thread on how a DD Bass should be held, I think that would be very helpful. I won't even ask what you guy's think of that #15 lbs Bass we see every day as our start page on FNN. lol

VineAssist
03-12-2015, 10:16 AM
Sorry have been out of town for a few days.

Yes the fish was RELEASED unharmed and swam away strong. Like someone stated earlier Donny is an avid angler and has been at the lake for many moons. He has a state of the art Ranger bass boat with livewells which the fish was in on its way to the scales. The reason it was weighed at the shop was because that is where the lakes certified scale is and at Irvine Lake we follow IGFA rules. If we move the scales to a dock it would therefore make the weight of the fish not certified because IGFA does not allow. I myself made the call to have the fish brought up to the shop because a) I trust in Donny's capabilities in handling a trophy fish b)if it was a record I did not want any backlash about how it was weighed c)the livewells on the boat
Furthermore, something you might not know about me is that I myself am a trophy bass fisherman. I have seen all the articles on how to hold trophy fish. Had I been there to take the photos it would have been different. In all the excitement sometimes even the most keen anglers forget things. I can guarantee if somebody went through all my photos they would nit pick them too.
In all what a fish! Do not know if anybody is seeing it but the last few years I have seen more 10+lb fish come out of this fishery than ever before. The catch and release program is doing wonders and also the F1's we where able to acquire should help boost this as well. Cant wait to see what the rest of spring brings us.

fshnritchey
03-12-2015, 10:38 AM
So you are being critical!!!! Since the picture was posted by Vine Assist and not by the Angler who actually caught the fish. Your statement will probably never be seen by the lucky angler. Unless you provided a link in your initial statement about how a DD should be held. You appeared to be critical for the sake of being critical!!!

Actually boomstikit is right. A fish that size should never be held by the jaw hanging downward. It is not so much about the jaw itself but about the fishes organs. The fishes organs were never supposed to be in this position or being affected by gravity. ESPECIALLY in a large spawning female!!! The guide should be well aware of this and ask his client to cradle the fish and not hang it downward.

boomstikit
03-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Here is a link to the article I mentioned earlier.

http://www.majorleaguefishing.com/news_details.aspx?id=14223

etucker1959
03-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Actually boomstikit is right. A fish that size should never be held by the jaw hanging downward. It is not so much about the jaw itself but about the fishes organs. The fishes organs were never supposed to be in this position or being affected by gravity. ESPECIALLY in a large spawning female!!! The guide should be well aware of this and ask his client to cradle the fish and not hang it downward.
That's good to know, so I take it the #15 lbs Bass we see every time we boot up FNN is improperly handled also??????

Fishingdachronarch201E7
03-12-2015, 11:46 AM
not that i catch big ones like this but good to know!!! thanks for the info and nice fatty!

Tony G

BentRod
03-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Good post. Everyone should be aware of this. Preserve our pigs!!