PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 3/8

Bootleg
03-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Excellent conditions. Most of the gunk is gone. Caught 1 Largemouth on a nightcrawler. Minimal lake lice.

Just installed the Minn Kota iPilot on a PowerDrive 2. Amazing. Best $1000 dollars I ever spent.

Soaked crawlers and trolled with Rapalas and Swimbaits. Anyone else troll with 5 inch rainbow style swimbaits ? Would like some opinions. Looks killer in the water and with the iPilot I can set the trolling speed anywhere from .2 to 2.5mph.

Bootleg

trail blazer
03-09-2015, 08:12 AM
nice upgrade bootleg.

I troll differently but sounds like your on to something.

keep at it

TRAIL BLAZER

Stumpknocker
03-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the report Bootleg...if you're looking for stripers, you might want to troll a little faster, and put those swimbaits on an umbrella rig.

mammoth80
03-09-2015, 01:39 PM
I'm very curious about what opinions are out there on trolling speeds. Does it just depend on the action of what you're trolling? I have some cranks that look good around 2.2 or lower, and some swimbaits that need mid 3's. I haven't caught enough troll fish to come to any conclusions about what's working. Do stripers like faster stuff?

Stumpknocker
03-09-2015, 06:20 PM
I'm very curious about what opinions are out there on trolling speeds. Does it just depend on the action of what you're trolling? I have some cranks that look good around 2.2 or lower, and some swimbaits that need mid 3's. I haven't caught enough troll fish to come to any conclusions about what's working. Do stripers like faster stuff?

IMO, they seem to be able to catch stuff trolled around 5 mph just fine, and you cover more water.

TroutOnly
03-11-2015, 07:16 AM
all different speeds ,it depends on what youre trolling and how deep,,,,,,,,,,,,this time of year slow off the downrigger.............

Guy with bent rod 818
03-13-2015, 11:35 AM
5" baits in Castaic should be shad pattern. Trouts are usually 8-12" baits . Match the Hatch rule as always. That trolling motor silence (opposed to outboard) I would think would increase your catch. More stealthy for those high pressured fish.