PDA

View Full Version : Nice weekend to troll 3.7-8.15

JAG107
03-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Took the fam up for some striper action and our first time camping at this place.
Didn't get on the water til about 745, after clearing inspection and all that, although there was no line. We got out and made a right into Miller as per my usual, and immediately got back to back hookups--one on topline, then when the boat was put in gear, got hit on the DR set at 8'. Gonna be a great day, right? Well, this has happened to me before--a quick flurry of action, followed by nothing. After another hour in Miller, checked out Chemise and the inlet for nada. Finally picked up another rounding the channel corner back into Cleghorn, and that was it for us. Got off the water at 11 and just chilled out for the rest of the day.
Side note on the campground: if you like radio wars blaring obnoxious music until 10pm on the dot, this place is for you. One site had a pile of beer cans so high, it made me wonder how it would be humanly possible for even a group of 8 or 10 to consume that much in any period of time. :EyePop: Besides that, the site is really nice and is a good option for a quick getaway from the city.
Sunday-- slept in, got out there at 9:30 for one quick hit again in Miller, and that was it. Decided to troll the whole lake from the channel, around Chemise, past the dam, around the quarry and back in to the dock for a nice boat ride but no bites. The kids had a great time reeling in their stripeys, and that's what it's all about anyway! Did not get in on any trout action in Cleghorn, nor did I witness any of the many yaks or shore anglers hooking up on anything. The docks had little traffic as well. The wind stayed calm and it was really beautiful out. Sorta makes me feel bad for the east coasters this time of year...

Fishbones
03-08-2015, 09:59 PM
thanks for the great report getting out the house with the family and catching a couple fish is what it's all about

BassinPLS
03-09-2015, 07:48 AM
JAG107,

Thanks for the great report on the family outing. It's too bad some people just go there to get drunk and spoil the time for the people there to enjoy the peace and tranquility. Silverwood is a great place to take the family for a "getaway" when the partiers are not out of control. Thanks again for the fishing report.

trail blazer
03-09-2015, 08:18 AM
Great report JAG.

Tough time of yr right now BUT that's changing daily now.

And your NOT alone with the litterbugs,,That same group of people come up to bako and mess up our duct areas when the bite is simple enough for them.

Great report THANKS

TRAIL BLAZER

TroutOnly
03-09-2015, 10:04 AM
you have to find the humps and ledges with baitballs sitting on them ,the work it with youre stuff on the d/r as close as you can get to it ,30 to 50 ft down this time of year...........

JAG107
03-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the tip TO!! I didn't see much on the hummingbird as far as big bait balls, only a few here and there. There were lots of scattered fish in Miller ranging from 20-50', and that's where I got most of my fish. What kind of surprised me was the lack of marks back in Chemise, where there's always some action on the humps in the shallow areas. I've never fished this lake outside of July-October, so springtime is kinda new to me. I'll be back up there in April, and I'll have another report.