PDA

View Full Version : Saturday March 7

Bassfan
03-08-2015, 10:09 AM
After a break from fishing tried Castaic again to see if Mr. Stripey had come to his senses.

Since the beginning of 2015 the fishing has been so slow that my expectations were low.

I was first in the regular line but a bass tournament got in early and had launched before the public.

The launch area was much better with all docks open and only a light surface film in the far left section.

Water temp started at about 56 and ended around 58.

Weather was clear, breezy, chilly and sunny to start and gradually turned into a summer like day.

The guy at the gate said the lake was going down about a foot a day and it was as low as I have ever seen it. The spots I fished a few weeks ago were at least 10 feet lower making trolling a lot tougher. Got hung up a few times by unexpected shallows and trolling alone with two rods it can be a challenge to get unsnagged when the wind is blowing.

Ten minutes after I started trolling one rod gets hit by a 2 lb. striper and right after I pick it up the other rod goes off. I thought the first one crossed my lines but a 3 lb. striper was on that rod.

Last time I fished I got one fish first thing and then nothing the rest of the day so I was just happy to have dinner nailed down.

Trolled for a couple more hours with no hits so I anchored and dropped some sardine on one rod and lug worm on the other. In a couple of hours I only got one bite on the lug worm and he never stuck around.

Went back to trolling and 6 hours after the first hits, I finally got my 3rd. In the next hour and a half I got two more and called it a day with 5 total.

There were not many fishermen out other than the small bass tournament, a few rental boats and a few pleasure boats.

It was amazing how shallow the water was in many large areas in the middle of the lake. Places that used to be 150 feet are now in the 20’s. Hope they send us some water soon.

cutbait
03-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Great report. Appreciated by many

catchingsomefish
03-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Way to stick with it Jim, it is tough when every time you go out, the water level changes, especially when you are trolling.....Dave

Stumpknocker
03-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Thanks for giving it a shot and reporting on it Bassfan...in my book, 5 fish is a good day...dinner and then some.

fishinone
03-08-2015, 03:46 PM
Nice job catching, Jim.

It's often tough fishing in winter.

Fishbones
03-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Congrats Jim I really appreciate the report time and effort, eventually we'll be able to hang the net in the water and drive around and scoop up fish.

trail blazer
03-09-2015, 08:09 AM
WTG Bassfan!.

Im really missing the water lately and your NOT helping,,lol.

Great report Thanks

TRAIL BLAZER