PDA

View Full Version : Just chugging along and gettin her done

JDS13
03-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Good morning all,
I have been lucky enough to fish Perris once a week or so for the last 2 month and fishing has been pretty good. The lack of trout stocks this year have really changed the forage that the bass have been feeding on, I still catch a bass or two on the trout baits but production is way down to maybe one swimbait fish a trip and all other fish coming on crank baits. What's nice is the crank bait has accounted for fish to almost 10 lbs. with lots of fish between 5-8 lbs. also the friends I have been taking with me have been catching some nice fish.

I went out yesterday and it was very windy, 12 mph from the east, water temp 58 and water clarity was about 6ft. I was definately getting my butt kicked for the first part of the day by the wind so around 11:00 I hit the lee side of the island with the dogs and took a little siesta and waited for the wind to calm down. It calmed down around 12:30 to about 5 mph and back out I went. I started catching fish right away a 5, 4's and some 3 lbs. and a couple of 14in little guys throughout the rest of the day, with a nice big fat 5 lbs at the ending bell. Lots of fish throughout the water column with bigger schools in 25 to 35 ft. One interesting thing I did see was when I was getting ready to hoist a fish aboard was it spit-up a 4 inch shad, I have never seen a shad at perris though I have metered tons of bait at the lake it was interesting to finally see one.

Here is a Marine friend who has gone fishing with me for many years and has stuck it out till the bitter end on many occasions with one fish or no fish at all. Today was his day with a few nice bass and a end of the day PB 6 1/2 lbs.

Tight lines458944589545896

Perris_holic
03-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the report. I'm going out tomorrow and I was wondering is there a certain color crankbait and diving depth you are using? Thanks for any info.

JDS13
03-07-2015, 04:03 PM
3 inch bait with a greyish green back white belly and gets down to 30 ft.

Perris_holic
03-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I didn't even know that they had crankbaits that dove down that deep.

JAG107
03-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Nice report! Glad to see someone getting some good fish even without trout supplementing their diet. Are you getting any stripers as bycatch?

JDS13
03-10-2015, 05:29 PM
No stripers just an occasional shoe, hat or tow rope among other things.