PDA

View Full Version : 2/27/15 Sundown session, N.Samo, heartbreak Gopro action

Edgar
03-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Hey Guys , decided to go out for a sundown session this Friday, and I'm still confused if that was a good choice or not :Shocked:! Once i get to my ao, just looking from above i knew it was going to be tuff, too much grass :Rolls Eyes:. I was a little early from when i wanted to get to the beach , today was going to be a weird day as i had decided to do a bait and wait with a buddy for some Bats , and sharks hopefully. I had two setups in my car, 1 long rod spinning setup with 60lb braid, and my trusty old round baitcaster Calcutta 200D with 40lb braid with 20lb flouro leader. So i pick my calcutta up and get down , make 2 cast on the Lc thinking maybe i should just go back to the car and wait ? :Crying:. But decide to put a 4' Swimbait on and make 10 more casts before making a decision. I think it was 3rd cast i lose my swimmie to structure. At this point i was almost sure i was going back to the car , but a little man on my shoulder told me to just make a few more casts. Tied up , back at it , 2nd cast Hook up !!!!!! Immediately i knew this was not the "hungry regulars". Heres all the action, From major excitement to heart break, I can't even describe how bad i felt at the moment, I knew it was my mistake , and i got too aggressive , and my Freakin rod was just not strong enough. The Fish is a Mature Leopard shark , bigger than any i have ever seen , id estimate it 5ft + over 50lbs just by looking at the girth. It was really close combat, i had to button down really hard and pull and tug as hard as i could , too many submerged boilers , and waaay too much grass . It took me about an hour to revive after the epic tug of war and heartbreak. Oh, Fair hooked by the way and i kept my leader and lets just say i was lucky it didn't break before my rod broke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbKXJQDPt_Y

I ended up getting a lot smaller model on a big piece of squid. Maybe around 20'
Hope you enjoyed it !

jaggerbub
03-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Heck of a way to break a rod... I wouldn't be upset if my rod went out that way! Great fight right there...

Edgar
03-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Heck of a way to break a rod... I wouldn't be upset if my rod went out that way! Great fight right there...

haha :) thanx jaggerbub

Fishbones
03-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Man what a video.. I felt the snap as if I was holding the rod.
Sucks about the broken rod and lost fish!!

Edgar
03-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Man what a video.. I felt the snap as if I was holding the rod.
Sucks about the broken rod and lost fish!!

Yeah total heartbreaker Bro . :Crying:

benichi
03-02-2015, 11:06 AM
man sorry about the rod you should show the video to st. croix they shoudl give you a new rod for free. awesome fight man

Edgar
03-02-2015, 12:42 PM
man sorry about the rod you should show the video to st. croix they shoudl give you a new rod for free. awesome fight man

Hey Benichi , thanx , Rod has already been replaced , and is on its way . Glad u enjoyed it ;)

fishinone
03-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Man, that bumbed me out and I had an idea what would happen from your title!

Edgar
03-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Man, that bumbed me out and I had an idea what would happen from your title!

We win some , and then we get our butts kicked by some ))

bones
03-02-2015, 06:24 PM
SNGF........ BAT RAY........ St Croix Rods are made in Taiwan by Armenian Elves :ROFL:

bones
03-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Nice vid though mister..........." HUNTING GIANTS CHAMPION "

Keep up the good work out there buddy!

Edgar
03-02-2015, 06:51 PM
SNGF........ BAT RAY........ St Croix Rods are made in Taiwan by Armenian Elves :ROFL:

You wish Big bro , they would be the best in the world if that was true and sure wouldn't brake or bend anyway )))) :LOL:
They're always bats or sngf-s for you )))

Edgar
03-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Nice vid though mister..........." HUNTING GIANTS CHAMPION "

Keep up the good work out there buddy!

Thanx lieutenant !

iLLest
03-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Whats up MIKE!

Sweet video Edgar, Bummer about the rod, sometimes the rush of knowing you have something big on the line gets the best of us.
I know alittle too well, my newbie days gave me a little taste of what I just witnessed.
Try and be alittle more patient next time, you could have definitely landed it without a problem if you would have just let it swim around to tire out rather than trying to land him quickly. Good luck man!

Edgar
03-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Whats up MIKE!

Sweet video Edgar, Bummer about the rod, sometimes the rush of knowing you have something big on the line gets the best of us.
I know alittle too well, my newbie days gave me a little taste of what I just witnessed.
Try and be alittle more patient next time, you could have definitely landed it without a problem if you would have just let it swim around to tire out rather than trying to land him quickly. Good luck man!

Thank you very much illest, I rushed it, I was afraid of getting snapped off on structure , but turns out there really isn't as much structure there as I thought , Patience would've been my best choice. You are 100% right!
Good luck to you too sir!

exfactor
03-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Watched the video, and first thing you did was tighten the drag. Thats not the way.

Edgar
03-03-2015, 05:17 PM
Watched the video, and first thing you did was tighten the drag. Thats not the way.
I completely agree My Exfactor, i had cleaned my reel and completely loosened the drag to store it (like i always do), and never had really tightened it to the point i would like it to be , and it was pretty loose, that was main reason i jumped on my drag immediately , Rookie mistakes . Thanx for taking a look sir, hope you enjoyed it.

Tight lines

5150fishn
03-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Wow what a heart breaker! Great video with some serious bendo action!

fishshep
03-04-2015, 05:20 PM
Nice vid, but gotta say, Hoggin it in with the Bendo like that, is what caused it, more time with the drag adjusted
right would have prevented that !!! :Smile: .Seemed like a big one though.

Edgar
03-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Wow what a heart breaker! Great video with some serious bendo action!

Nice vid, but gotta say, Hoggin it in with the Bendo like that, is what caused it, more time with the drag adjusted
right would have prevented that !!! :Smile: .Seemed like a big one though.

I agree Fishshep, a little too excited , it was a big kitty and I shouldve taken my time . A lesson learned the hard way.

anchor3n1
03-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Edgar

Thank you for the "how to" video. Very instructive my friend :EyePop:

Hey at least you gave both the kitty and yourself some cardio work:Shocked: (just joking - sometimes ya gotta just laugh instead).

Hope your doing well!

Nick

Edgar
03-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Edgar

Thank you for the "how to" video. Very instructive my friend :EyePop:

Hey at least you gave both the kitty and yourself some cardio work:Shocked: (just joking - sometimes ya gotta just laugh instead).

Hope your doing well!

Nick

Hello there Nick , "How not to" you mean :LOL:!
Hope your doing well also, I'm OK :Cool:

Tight Lines Sir !