PDA

View Full Version : Scum and striper report

Stumpknocker
02-20-2015, 03:18 PM
The launch ramp scum wasn't too bad...it was thin enough that you could launch and start the motor without fearing a snot clot in the water pump.
Soon after leaving the ramp I saw birds circling in the ski arm...headed over there and saw scattered boils under them...threw a spoon and a lucky craft at the boils for nothing, but caught a schoolie jigging the spoon under the boat in about 50 feet deep water...lost another one, but they weren't inhaling the spoon all that well, so since they were chasing shad, I set up an umbrella rig and trolled it through the bird/boil areas and ended up with two more schoolies before they cleared out. Then I looked around for some decent marks to anchor over for a try at sardine chunkin'...I never found the kind of concentration I like to fish, but I tried two spots that had some fish in the water column, one 90 feet deep and another at 110 feet...absolutely nothing, not even a nibble.
No pics today since I let them go right after I caught them because I've got no freezer room right now...when I pulled the boat out, it got scummed bad enough that I washed it down when I got home in case I go somewhere where that matters.

Bassfan
02-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the report. Its a crazy year but at least you found a way to get a few on the line. No easy task this winter.

Fishbones
02-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Hey its skunk off none the less.. Not much Castaic reports lately.
Thank you for the info and time spent.

trail blazer
02-21-2015, 06:02 AM
Good on ya stumpy

WTG on the catching.

TRAIL BLAZER

Stumpknocker
02-21-2015, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the report. Its a crazy year but at least you found a way to get a few on the line. No easy task this winter.
Yeah, early in the morning there are some fish roaming around the upper part of the water column looking for things to eat, but most of them are really deep and unmotivated...if I had started and kept with the u-rig I probably would have done better, but I got lazy and didn't fill up the boat tank the day before, so I couldn't troll too much :Embarrassed:

Hey its skunk off none the less.. Not much Castaic reports lately.
Thank you for the info and time spent.
Glad to help! There's enough action early to make it interesting, and any day on the lake with nice weather and few boats is a gift.

BuzzBait
02-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Perhaps tomorrow's trout plant that dfg has scheduled changes the fishies mood.

Stumpknocker
02-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Good on ya stumpy

WTG on the catching.

TRAIL BLAZER
Thanks TB...fishing boils in February...gotta love SoCal!

Perhaps tomorrow's trout plant that dfg has scheduled changes the fishies mood.
I'm sure it'll get the attention of some of them, at least those near the launch ramp...

MikesOcean
02-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Great report there Stump! Glad to see a report from castaic!

Hey what better thing to do then put a few fish in the boat and see
Some boils in February.

Great job out there.

I miss that place.

CaCondor
02-22-2015, 11:19 PM
Hey SK you're making me salivate about Castaic reading your catching from here in Barcelona, Spain!
CaCondor

Stumpknocker
02-23-2015, 04:43 AM
Great report there Stump! Glad to see a report from castaic!

Hey what better thing to do then put a few fish in the boat and see
Some boils in February.

Great job out there.

I miss that place.
Thanks MO...get out there and give it a shot! Even when it's slow there's usually a few active fish around.

Hey SK you're making me salivate about Castaic reading your catching from here in Barcelona, Spain!
CaCondor
The lake will still be here (probably) when you get back CaCondor. :LOL: While you're there, go catch a Wels catfish!