PDA

View Full Version : Best bait for trout fishing at guasti

Kennykcheng
02-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Brought my son on his first fishing trip last Saturday (1-14-15) at guasti. We saw people caught some fish except for us. What is the best bait I use, We are planning to go there again this weekend and just wanted my sin to catch at least one fish. Thanks in advance.

Kennykcheng
02-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Forgot to mention, we used power bait that comes in a little glass jar that we purchased from big 5 that is supposed to be for trout with weight.

Kingfish Addict
02-17-2015, 08:43 PM
Powerbait is usually a good bait to catch some. Use a size 10 hook and you dont need alot of bait, about the size of a pea should be good. Nightcrawlers under a bobber work good also...

Kennykcheng
02-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Powerbait is usually a good bait to catch some. Use a size 10 hook and you dont need alot of bait, about the size of a pea should be good. Nightcrawlers under a bobber work good also...

Kingfish, thank you for your advice/info. We will try your suggestion this weekend.

ela
02-17-2015, 10:18 PM
Make sure to use 2lb or 4lb line max! And have fun with your son...

DockRat
02-18-2015, 06:48 PM
Had luck there with a swivel, 12" at 2lb leader to a #14 treble with garlic coating power bait.
The swivel would weight the bait down casting about 15' from shore, flylining almost since you can't cast too far without weight.
A split shot would work too.
DR

Kennykcheng
02-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Make sure to use 2lb or 4lb line max! And have fun with your son...

ela, didn't know that the line makes the difference. I believe our line is 8 or 10 lbs, but I will change it as you'd suggested. Thank you.

Kennykcheng
02-18-2015, 07:05 PM
Had luck there with a swivel, 12" at 2lb leader to a #14 treble with garlic coating power bait.
The swivel would weight the bait down casting about 15' from shore, flylining almost since you can't cast too far without weight.
A split shot would work too.
DR

I have read of the garlic coating power bait last night matter of fact and will try that this weekend. thank you.

sandtrout
02-18-2015, 07:20 PM
Powerbait is a great bait. Does your license allow you to fish with a 2nd rod? If so set up your 1st rod as you normally would. That will be your "bait and wait" (or soak and sit) rod. Use your 2nd rod as your WORKING rod. With that one you stand and "cast and retrieve" spinners, spoons, plugs, plastics, baits and flies. If your experience is with powerbait (and hopefully worms) then you'll use a light weight like split shot, bullet weight, or a full castabubble. Cast out and then SLOWLY retrieve.like one or two turns each minute. You'll work a lot more water. If you're throwing powerbait (or anything else for that matter) and not getting bit there may be NO FISH in the spot you're fishing!

Kennykcheng
02-19-2015, 07:29 PM
I will need to check if my license allows me to use 2 rods, thanks sandtrout.

sandtrout
02-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Ela is right about the line. I use 6 lb for trolling, 4 lb for casting lures made of metal (Thomas buoyant, kastmaster. Phoebe, super duper, etc) and 2 lb with plastics, dough baits, and worms. If you only got 2 rods the go with 4 lb. Catfish aren't line shy and 10 lb isn't So bad but trout are very line shy. In a pinch you can buy some 2 or 4 lb fluorocarbon and tie on to your heavier line. Personally I fish a lot so I buy 1/4 lb spools and change my line every week or two.
If you decide to take a break and put baits on both rods then give the reel handle a turn or 2 every minute (it's called a "slow troll").

bones
03-16-2015, 01:40 PM
I always used to do really well there on inflated night crawlers so they float up off the bottom. Leader length with powerbait can also make a big difference if the bottom is very murky. I think the problem might have not been your bait though. Sometimes it's where you are casting. If you were making long casts that could be the problem. The trout there hold pretty tight to the shoreline. If you bring two rods make two different length of casts. If you only put one rod out try going long then every 15 minutes drag it closer to you by 7 or 8 ft until you find the zone so to speak. Water clarity can also make a huge difference. Chartreuse is the most visible bait for stained water. Also remember that trout prefer the coldest water in the ponds and we have had some really warm days. Finding one of the deeper holes might be just the trick. Of course it goes without saying that a visit there right after a stocking will increase your chances as well. If somebody close to you is catching and you are not pay attention to their leader length, exactly how far out they are casting and what color bait they are using. The locals have it pretty wired. A second rod stamp doesn't cost much. I used to put out one bait setup and then toss a spinner bait like a panther martin in yellow to just past the time while keeping an eye on the bait rig.
Hope some of this points you in the right direction.

TroutOnly
03-16-2015, 04:45 PM
................power-mice........with scent applied...............

DockRat
03-17-2015, 06:17 PM
I did good on lime green floating garlic power bait at the small lake there a few weeks ago. #14 treble, 2lb test to a swivel @ 14".
Just enough bait to float the hook and no weight about 20' out.

noleash
03-21-2015, 09:19 AM
Powerbait is a great bait. Does your license allow you to fish with a 2nd rod? If so set up your 1st rod as you normally would. That will be your "bait and wait" (or soak and sit) rod. Use your 2nd rod as your WORKING rod. With that one you stand and "cast and retrieve" spinners, spoons, plugs, plastics, baits and flies. If your experience is with powerbait (and hopefully worms) then you'll use a light weight like split shot, bullet weight, or a full castabubble. Cast out and then SLOWLY retrieve.like one or two turns each minute. You'll work a lot more water. If you're throwing powerbait (or anything else for that matter) and not getting bit there may be NO FISH in the spot you're fishing!

If this doesn't work find a NEW LAKE!:Big Grin: