PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about the Owens at this time of the year

billy b
02-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Never been there this time of the year... and I'm getting the itch. Is there anywhere I can get a report ... ? Do I need to know what the water flow is like? Thinkin about stopping at the Upper Owens to see was happenin as well as PVR ... and Bishop to Independence area.

Thots ???

TIA !!!

DEVOREFLYER
02-10-2015, 04:20 PM
www.sierradrifters.com for info.

Piss on Myspace
02-10-2015, 05:21 PM
^^^ is the most up to date site by far...

you can also check out http://sierratroutmagnet.com/reports/

billy b
02-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I've got to learn more about the Upper Owens ... the action is too good to pass. Thinkin that I may need to get a guide for Upper Owens and for Drifting the Lower. I'm probably going to explore PVR while I'm down there. What I've been hearing is that it is usually too long a walk (right?) + better to come in from the top plant end. I think I can probably negotiate climbing down the sides ... even for an OLD guy like me. Definitely want to explore from the wild trout sign down to Hiway 6 ... maybe even do some wild trouting

Ahh there's never enough time ... even if retired

When and if I go ... I'll post ... even if I catch a black and white kitty kat :>)

phishin phool
02-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Whatever you decide, remember the special regs and proper C & R on those waters in effect. A guide is a tremendous help on new water, especially on the Owens. I highy recommend both guide services mentioned above.
Drfters (which I have used and HIGHLY recommend) for the upper and drifting the middle, and Sierra Trout Magnet for Bishop area water. A little pricy but worth it at least for your first trip or two. Remember these are fly fishing guides though. I also recommend switching to the fly too in those waters:)
Good luck to ya!

simijab
02-11-2015, 03:22 PM
Headed to pleasant valley res. tomorrow. We will probably fish lower owens also but most of our time will be spent at the reservior and the river section below the power plant

billy b
02-11-2015, 05:48 PM
GOOD LUCK Simi... Hope we get some good posts from ya. So you park at the Power Plant and start south from there? Am I right ... it's not walking distance?

simijab
02-18-2015, 01:35 PM
yes thats what we do. Wont be seeing a post from me though. It was not good at all. Flows are way down and I mean way way down. the section from the plant was almost unfishable and there werent many fish in there anyways. It was unseasonable hot which brought out a massive mosquito hatch and basically made it impossible to fish from about 10 am until about an hour before it gets dark. We did the best on lower owens off of line street and up by laws. got a couple decent browns on a repala and some rainbows on the same. ended up landing a large mouth in the river up by the campground. Second one Ive caught there in all the years I have been fishing it. Decent one about a pound and a half. Never been up this time of year and had it be like this so dont let it discourage you. Its usually pretty awesome up there this time of year

billy b
04-21-2015, 09:20 AM
yes thats what we do. Wont be seeing a post from me though. It was not good at all. Flows are way down and I mean way way down. the section from the plant was almost unfishable and there werent many fish in there anyways. It was unseasonable hot which brought out a massive mosquito hatch and basically made it impossible to fish from about 10 am until about an hour before it gets dark. We did the best on lower owens off of line street and up by laws. got a couple decent browns on a repala and some rainbows on the same. ended up landing a large mouth in the river up by the campground. Second one Ive caught there in all the years I have been fishing it. Decent one about a pound and a half. Never been up this time of year and had it be like this so dont let it discourage you. Its usually pretty awesome up there this time of year

Trout Only seems to own PVR ... I wonder if he goes in from the South. Obviously he knows the place ... and the method(s) ... as he does most places.

When I was up there last ... there were tons of gents starting the morning from the lower end. I heard it's a shorter walk - distance to start fishing at the dam ... but you do have to go up a hill. In the afternoon ... at the upper end ... there weren't many cars. Maybe people were done fishing.

BTW ... I remember being at the power plant opening day ... and casting up into the churning water of the power plant. Using a gold phoebe. In those days ... if you didn't have a phoebe or super duper ... GO HOME were the words ... especially in the June Loop.

pitman
04-23-2015, 07:56 PM
I'm not going to make it up there anytime before June due to work and kids graduations and what not but all this Sierras talk is giving me a chub. I can't wait to get up there and start my adventure for this year!...lol