PDA

View Full Version : Ventura Pier Help Please

Piss on Myspace
02-09-2015, 02:24 AM
Howdy fellow fishing peeps... so the buddies and I are getting into crabbing and having a blast! Last week I worked in santa cruz, bought my first pot and landed my first keeper crab off the pier lol. (ill try and post a pic from my phone). We were thinking of heading up to the Ventura pier as I heard a few good things about the crabs and larger sharks in the area. I've never been before and was looking for some tips for a newbie pier fisherman. We plan to fish hard, from afternoon till the beer is gone, 2am + lol... Anything will help, but am looking for a rod/reel combo, line size, and set-up recommendations to catch one of these larger fish. I've only caught a few leos and smooth hounds using a double dropper loop with squid. I want to go Jeremy Wade style and specifically target large sharks. Currently I'm pretty green to the salt and only have the Penn fierce 5000 spinning combo w/ 30 lb mono and another daiwa spinning reel with 20 lb line on it. I was thinking of getting one of the Penn senator combos they have at BPS around $150-200, hoping that I would be able to use on a 1.5 day trip if I ever get out for the tunas. Anything will help, and if you feel more comfortable via pm, that's great too...thanks in advance, its much appreciated!!!

Cheers

-dave

simijab
02-09-2015, 07:03 AM
Havent heard much from the ventura pier lately but I also havent been there in a while. I have always had better luck on the Port Hueneme pier. Never caught a shark there but I did catch its cousin once. A 5ft shovel nose. got the picture on my phone somewhere.

Piss on Myspace
02-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Havent heard much from the ventura pier lately but I also havent been there in a while. I have always had better luck on the Port Hueneme pier. Never caught a shark there but I did catch its cousin once. A 5ft shovel nose. got the picture on my phone somewhere.

Nice catch!!! Sounds promising.... thanks for the intel Simijab

simijab
02-09-2015, 04:21 PM
No prob. Actually used to be able to get lobsters there back in the day not sure if thats happening anymore though. By the way I caught the shovel nose on a whole sardine. not sure what you use for your pot but if all you want is crab i used chicken legs. If you want a chance at lobster try salmon heads

simijab
02-09-2015, 08:04 PM
Here it is

Piss on Myspace
02-10-2015, 01:00 PM
NIce fish simijab, that's a little bigger than a trout...biggest guitarfish I caught was around 3 ft. Thanks for the tips!!!