PDA

View Full Version : First Castaic trip this year

Stumpknocker
02-04-2015, 02:50 PM
I finally hit Castaic on a day where the ramp gunk was corralled and launching was allowed...last time I tried I ended up at Pyramid...there was still some floating crap as I launched but not enough to jam the cooling system on the outboard. There was no wind all morning. I headed up the ski arm and metered plenty of fish at 130 feet....a layer of them anywhere the water was deep enough...I tried vertical jigging with a spoon for a few minutes in 140 feet with no takers, Then I saw one circling bird and one splash a little ways away, so I headed over there...metered some fish in the water column in 80 feet of water, started vertical jigging and hooked up immediately...after a nice fight I landed a nice 2-3 pound schoolie...kept at the spoon for a while, but no more takers. I moved out a little deeper, still seeing fish on the meter, and around 100 feet dropped anchor and started fishing sardine chunks. It took a while but eventually one hit the flylined bait, and I brought in another 2-3 pounder...fished there a while more with no more takers. I moved out to 160 feet and threw the anchor on a spot with plenty of marks on the meter, and put out a flylined chunk and a weighted chunk near the bottom...after an hour or so with no bites, I decided I should be happy with two good keepers and headed for the ramphttp://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/yobobscott/brace.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/yobobscott/media/brace.jpg.html)
They were the perfect eating size...one fish feeds two people...I don't often catch them doing vertical jigging, though it's supposed to work for stripers, so it was nice to get one that way this time.

Bassfan
02-04-2015, 03:22 PM
SK, Nice job getting some action. I never jigged before a couple months ago but it sure is fun when that weight shows up on your line.
Fishing has been so bad from what I've heard lately I spent the last two weekends hitting golf balls!
Good report and thanks for giving me some hope. Jim

Kevman
02-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Congrats on catching fish while most of us were working! Thank you for sharing the report! -Kev

Stumpknocker
02-04-2015, 05:18 PM
SK, Nice job getting some action. I never jigged before a couple months ago but it sure is fun when that weight shows up on your line.
Fishing has been so bad from what I've heard lately I spent the last two weekends hitting golf balls!
Good report and thanks for giving me some hope. Jim
Thanks Jim...I think I might have missed a couple more hits on the vertical spoon...it's one of my favorite ways to fish when it works, great also for rockfish and largemouth bass...there are some fish now that are catchable...look for the marks in the water column above an 80 foot or so bottom...the really deep ones don't seem interested.

Congrats on catching fish while most of us were working! Thank you for sharing the report! -Kev
Thanks Kev...there have been a lot of comments on this site lately that nobody posts fishing reports, so I thought I'd post one, even though it's a middle-of-the-week one from an old retired guy!

Fishbones
02-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Congrats SK!! I've been wondering how its been up there. Like you said.. Perfect eating size.. I love jigging too!!

cutbait
02-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the report

Stumpknocker
02-05-2015, 04:36 AM
Congrats SK!! I've been wondering how its been up there. Like you said.. Perfect eating size.. I love jigging too!!
Thanks Fishbones...in a perfect world, as I imagine it, they hit topwater when they're up, and jigged spoons or leadheads when they're down, and I never have to mess with bait or umbrella rigs to get bit! :LOL:

Thanks for the report
Glad to help!

Spottie
02-05-2015, 06:09 AM
Good stuff man. Keep the reports coming!

trail blazer
02-05-2015, 06:42 AM
Finally, Some Castaic action.

Thank you for the hope,

Congrats on the fish.

TRAIL BLAZER

Stumpknocker
02-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Good stuff man. Keep the reports coming!
Thanks Spottie...I will, just as soon as I get out there again!

Finally, Some Castaic action.

Thank you for the hope,

Congrats on the fish.

TRAIL BLAZER
Thanks TB...I think there's reason for hope at Castaic...as usual, you have to find the active fish, and they're in "shallow" (less than 100 feet) water, sometimes over much deeper water...

fishinone
02-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the recon mission Stumpknocker.

Congrats on the catchiing.

Stumpknocker
02-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the recon mission Stumpknocker.

Congrats on the catchiing.

Thanks Fishinone, glad to contribute some info...if the weather stays the same (and I hope it doesn't, we need rain), I think they're going to be up over deep flats eating bait soon...

fishinone
02-05-2015, 04:01 PM
Thanks Fishinone, glad to contribute some info...if the weather stays the same (and I hope it doesn't, we need rain), I think they're going to be up over deep flats eating bait soon...

If it rains we can fish the deep drop offs a couple days after the storm.

Stumpknocker
02-05-2015, 06:21 PM
If it rains we can fish the deep drop offs a couple days after the storm.

Good to know...thanks...I hope that's the situation.