PDA

View Full Version : First time towing a boat

georatm2011
02-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Hello all, any tips for a first time boat towing. Will be heading out to Irvine Lake on Friday morning with a 15' boat. The boat has a mercury 9.9 HP motor just FYI. Also any fishing tips would be greatly appreciated.

Stormcrow
02-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Run through this checklist before you leave EVERY time:

Check lock pin at ball hitch
Check locking crank winch
Check Tie Downs
If you have a motor mount, make sure its on and locked in
check tires and spare
Check inside of boat for things you may have left that might fly out when you leave early.
Make sure your drain plug is accounted for

you're good to go.

As far as Irvine...forget that mudhole and go to Perris or Silverwood

bass413
02-04-2015, 11:22 AM
first time boat towing.

Have to ask......If this is your first time towing, will it also be your first time backing a trailer down a ramp (or backing any trailer for any type distance for that matter)?

If so, please do yourself a favor and hook up the boat. Go find a vacant parking lot (after hours commercial buildings are good) and work on backing up in a straight line. That'll save yourself about an hour of embarrassment at the launch ramp. I've alway found looking at the trailer's tires through my side mirrors has been easier then looking over my shoulder while backing. If your tires start swaying to the left IN YOUR SIDE MIRROR, then make a very slight correction with the steering wheel to the left and the trailer will straighten. Obviously, if the trailer starts swinging to the right slightly turn your wheel to the right to straighten out.

Good luck.

lucky1
02-04-2015, 11:23 AM
We disconnect the gas line and run any gas inside the engine before we head home for the day. It prevents the carburetor jets from getting clogged if you're going to store it for a while, on a 2 stroke engine.

Make sure you check the trailer lights too.

DEVOREFLYER
02-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Don't forget that the added longer overall length of your tow vehicle and boat will require a wider turn and longer separation distance when lane changing on the road.

BALLERONBUDGET
02-04-2015, 12:31 PM
safety like the guys mentioned!! tow in furtherest lane possible.. #1 lane can get u a ticket by po po or local chp.dont be the jackass like the uhaul ur ups trucks that use the carpool lanes!! ...speed restrictions as posted . take ur time... ; prop up while at ramp and leaving ramp !! seeen many a motor scrape the bottom.. if ur not familiar with reverse , tip i learned: place hand on bottom of steering wheel loook back , point in the direction u wanna go........gud luck and catch a few!!!!

BALLERONBUDGET
02-04-2015, 12:34 PM
also safety chain and lock.... ; if attaching boat to truck put trailer jack back to stow posititon...(horizontal to frame n spring lockd) . i always forgot this and would scape till i found it still down:Embarrassed:

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
02-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Pending on how often and towing distance, trailer maintenance IS A MUST. Lights, chains with closing hooks, tires and wheel bearings should be checked every time before getting on the road.
Then you'll feel safe that your boat will get there and have a fun trip.
Enjoy
TTFM

Marley
02-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Practice backing and DON'T SPEED! Your limit is 55, but go slower to get used to the feel. You ARE a granny the first couple of times out.

trollmiester
02-04-2015, 02:22 PM
make sure drain plug is in and start boat at home so u have no starting problems at the ramp.ist time I backed up u could have made a great funny video.get there late so there is no pressure,good luck to being a boat owner--lololol

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
02-04-2015, 02:49 PM
drive in the slow lane please

BALLERONBUDGET
02-04-2015, 04:23 PM
most lakes have a staging or prep area.if not pull over on side prior to launch .. load up unstrap and get ready to dump.... its courtesy for the others behind u not to hold up the dam line cuz u not ready , boat doesnt turn start or u think the ramp is a parking spot for u while u get all the kids /gear in...

Stray Cat
02-04-2015, 04:36 PM
All great replys , one thing I was taught when backing "go with the problem " if the boat goes one way follow it with the steering wheel . When putting the boat back on the trailer make sure to leave the running boards exposed a little . If you sink the trailer to low you'll never get it on straight . I've seen this a lot when launching at shelter island.

JAG107
02-04-2015, 05:33 PM
All good tips posted above, here's a couple from me:
Don't worry about lineup at Irvine, get there around 7 and have no line to wait in, and no line at the ramp.
Before you leave, make sure your bearings are properly greased. Cooking a bearing on the freeway is a crappy way to start your day of recreation.
Also, DON'T disconnect your winch line UNTIL you get your boat in the water. I have seen a few people unhook theirs before backing down the ramp, have to hit the brakes while backing down, and have their boat go sliding off the trailer and have the motor hit the concrete. OUCH!
Have your dock bumpers figured out before you get there, so you don't scrape up the side of your boat when you tie up to the dock.
Have a great trip!

BALLERONBUDGET
02-04-2015, 10:07 PM
dnt let this happen........ even causes fatalities on freeways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja26V_XmNLM

Matt44
02-05-2015, 01:33 AM
All great tips guys! A little thing I tell people when backing up your trailer is whatever way your front end is going is the way your boat/trailer are. Take it slow and you will be fine. Soon it will be a piece of cake...

etucker1959
02-05-2015, 03:08 AM
When backing down, if the boat is not going where you want it to, simply pull forward and straighten it out. Make sure you have a long rope tide to the front of the boat and to your bumper. We wouldn't want the boat to float away from you when it comes off the trailer!!! lol