PDA

View Full Version : Newport Toobing, 1/28, Diamond Turbot

Fishingdachronarch201E7
01-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Hey Everyone,

Hope all is well...well I did my weekly run to NPH, met up with 2 buds Oscar and Eddie....sounds like the last posting hahah....anyways ill make it quick.....Landed 6, 4 Spottties, 1Rock fish and 1 DIAMOND TURBOT :Shocked: *and of course no picture, first one ever, *man do they fight, head shakes that ive never felt with any other fish, not even halibut, this one went for about a good 20inches.. when it first hit my rig, it was a real settle tap, tap, like a small fish or something after the first 2 i new it was on, i lead him for a quick second and swung and it was fish on:Twisted:with the way it was peeling drag i new it wasnt a spottie or sandie...i said Hali ? maybe not they dont fight this hard but maybe, maybe its a legal, lots of stuff was running through my head, finally when it came up, i was like huh what is it lol, mouth was all small, i was tripping on how he had taken a 5 1/2 bait LOL...then i new it was a turbot, thought flounder but those are only on the east coast right LOL or i dont know...

here is a pic of my biggest spottie, not a bad night, and landed a 15 and 13 and 10 :idea:

http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r716/fishingdachronarch201e7/NPH16inch20150128_191056_zpsb6494d2f.jpeg (http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/fishingdachronarch201e7/media/NPH16inch20150128_191056_zpsb6494d2f.jpeg.html) *

My count for this month

14 spotties
2 Sandies
1 Barracuda
1 Daimond Turbot
3 Lizard Fish
1 Halibut Legal

Thanks for reading

Tony G

fishmounter
01-30-2015, 11:40 PM
Wow! Nice bass! I'll tell you what,…If you really want to have fun, pick up some fresh Razor Clams at one of the local bait shops, and bring along a trout outfit or an ultralight rod and reel with 4 lb test. Use a 1/4 oz egg sinker and a sliding sinker rig with a long shank No. 8 hook. Use the meat of an entire clam and cast it out while either drifting along or slowly kicking your fins. We have caught LOTS of very nice Diamond Turbots in Newport Bay, and man! They fight really great on light tackle! The only drawback is that somehow the turbot will swallow the clam in one bite and many times you end up hooking them in the throat, which is not good when releasing them, so don't let them run with the bait when you get a strike. And the two best baits are either fresh live Razor Clams or live Ghost Shrimp. Be careful because big Spotfins like these baits too as do the rays. The turbots are great to eat, but I'm not sure about the water quality in the harbor as far as eating fish from there is. That goes for legal halibuts also. The 3 bass are always C & R..