PDA

View Full Version : Yellowtail setup, can I use this?

Dci4me
01-21-2015, 10:30 PM
One thing I would like to do this year is take a couple trips for yellowtail, which I have never done. I am thinking a couple 3/4 day trips out of SD. Before I spend money on new equipment, I was wondering if what I already have may work:

Dobyns Swimbait 795, 806, and 807.
Shimano Calcutta 300te
Daiwa Luna 300

If you think these may work just to get my feet wet, which configurations and how should i line them?

Thanks

Mike

DANNY SMOKIN JIGZ
01-22-2015, 07:29 AM
Hey Dci4me,
i think you can get away with using the 807, the irons we used on my last trip were Salas 6x which weigh 6.2 oz. I personally used a rod rated 20-50 with a torium 20 loaded with 65lb power pro and 50lb pink seagar floro. The fish are deeper right now in about 200ft of water so you will have a little ways to bring them up.
Good Luck out there
-Danny

jaggerbub
01-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Yes you can. Spool up with #50 spectra and a short topshot. I use a swimbait setup for yt too when I just wanna have fun.

Dci4me
01-23-2015, 11:12 PM
I am not planning on going soon, but more in the spring and summer when the water warms up. Do you think the 807/Luna could throw iron, and the 806/Calcutta 300 for live bait would get by on a short trip for YT?

Ifishtoolittle
01-23-2015, 11:59 PM
Your reels' poor pinion gear will be crying lol. They should be fine. You'll just have a tougher time bringing the fish in. Yellers fight like hell.

DockRat
01-24-2015, 06:55 AM
I don't like level winds. Last rockfish trip a guy had one and had problems and the captain was telling him to trash it. Captain said how many level winds he had seen break.
Say no to level winds and learn how to level your line old school.
DR

tailsup1
01-26-2015, 11:54 AM
I'm more of a salt guy so I'm not totally familiar with your gear. The closest reel I have to yours is a Calcutta 400TE loaded w/ 50# spectra. That said, I usually don't bring it for my dedicated yellowtail/tuna trips. I use it more for throwing plastics at calicos.

If you could purchase or borrow reels such as a (I'm more familiar w/ Shimano so I'll use their line as an example) Torium (or Trinidad) 16 or 20 you'd be better off. Ideally, if you could have 30-40# covered you should be good for most situations. Line size will depend on where you are and what the fish are willing to bite. You could always use a lighter topshot if the fish are finicky.

Personally, I use a Shimano Trinidad 40 for yo-yo jigs. Tall spool, fairly high speed, strong drag and I can rip the jigs even when they're deep. When flylining bait I usually am using a Trinidad 16 or 20...bigger fish around I'll also use a Talica 10ii or 12ii. Dropper looping, I'll go anywhere from 40-80# depending on where I am. Surface iron, I go old school with a customized Newell 533.

Rods......similar to reels, different types for different applications. Generally, 6.5-7' for yo-yo and dropper loop, 8' for flylining, 9' for surface iron.

Good luck!!!

Dci4me
01-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Thanks for all of the information. Sounds like I need to invest in some new gear :Big Grin:

WAHBAM
02-08-2015, 01:58 AM
Yes you can. Spool up with #50 spectra and a short topshot. I use a swimbait setup for yt too when I just wanna have fun.

I agree with this guy. Save your money & go out on more trips!

LEE BOY3
02-08-2015, 08:58 AM
Like WAHBAM said spool up with spectra and a short top shot. And maybe rent a Rod and reel from the landing just incase you have a problem. Don't want to be stuck out their with broken gear and not be able to fish.