PDA

View Full Version : A really tiny ultralight spinning reel?

fishmounter
01-19-2015, 10:51 PM
This may have been ask before, but for you ultralight guys, what are the best made, best reviewed, "tiny" ultralight spinning reels available? I'm talking about a reel specifically made for 2 lb test line and light rods. Preferably under 5 oz., (which will probably be impossible). I know BPS sells a really little TinyLite reel, but it's probably junk and not going to last long. I am just curious as to what, if any might be out there for me to use on strictly panfish. I have some very light reels, but they are older Diawa and Shimanos.. Anyone have any ideas?

Piss on Myspace
01-19-2015, 11:27 PM
I know its a bit larger, but check out the pflueger president 6920 reels...200+ yards of 2lb @ 5.9 oz

They're great reels as I've had my 6720 for 6+ years and its still going strong. Perfect travel reel for the car. Caught everything from panfish to 3lb smallies to 4+ lb cats and god knows how many trout. On a quick search, it looks as tho they don't make that model anymore, but im sure the 6920 would be just as solid.

GLuck with purchase

SirBluegill
01-19-2015, 11:36 PM
^ what he said Jeff. My 6920 is still going strong after 2 years of normal use. Its a nice little reel.

Hoot951
01-19-2015, 11:47 PM
This may have been ask before, but for you ultralight guys, what are the best made, best reviewed, "tiny" ultralight spinning reels available? I'm talking about a reel specifically made for 2 lb test line and light rods. Preferably under 5 oz., (which will probably be impossible). I know BPS sells a really little TinyLite reel, but it's probably junk and not going to last long. I am just curious as to what, if any might be out there for me to use on strictly panfish. I have some very light reels, but they are older Diawa and Shimanos.. Anyone have any ideas?

What's the budget?

drc521
01-20-2015, 12:51 AM
my vote for sienna in 500 size. I wanted do dislike it because of the price (30$), but it is super smooth in cranking and drag. 190y/2lb i believe. great reel, has held up for a heavy panfish season at santa fe dam. though i find myself using my quantum pti 15 more on my UL these days.. but i'm a bit of a gear snob :-/

Hoot951
01-20-2015, 12:56 AM
my vote for sienna in 500 size. I wanted do dislike it because of the price (30$), but it is super smooth in cranking and drag. 190y/2lb i believe. great reel, has held up for a heavy panfish season at santa fe dam. though i find myself using my quantum pti 15 more on my UL these days.. but i'm a bit of a gear snob :-/

How is the Quantum PTi 15? I was thinking about getting one of those for my new trout rod.

drc521
01-20-2015, 01:50 AM
Best way for me to describe it is that i can feel each tooth of the gear, but it's still really smooth. The drag adjustment is very fine and the drag is smooth throughout a fight. The porting on it saves weight, but it feels solid in the hand. I prefer the metal substance feel to composite any day. That's why I use it on my iron feather :). Haven't had issues with it yet. No loose parts, tolerances are very tight. I spoiled it up with 15lb braid for fun on my bass rod and it pulled lmb to 3lb no problem. Has made fights more exciting for me with its smaller profile.

Hoot951
01-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Best way for me to describe it is that i can feel each tooth of the gear, but it's still really smooth. The drag adjustment is very fine and the drag is smooth throughout a fight. The porting on it saves weight, but it feels solid in the hand. I prefer the metal substance feel to composite any day. That's why I use it on my iron feather :). Haven't had issues with it yet. No loose parts, tolerances are very tight. I spoiled it up with 15lb braid for fun on my bass rod and it pulled lmb to 3lb no problem. Has made fights more exciting for me with its smaller profile.

Sounds good I gotta give both the Pflueger President 6920 and Quantum pti a try.

DEVOREFLYER
01-20-2015, 09:08 AM
I have couple of the Ultra lite Diawa Mini Spin reels but I keep going back to the Pflueger President, smooth as glass.

Hoot951
01-20-2015, 09:30 AM
I have some of the smaller reels like the Pflueger
After using the CI4s they all feel cheap...just my thought
i wish they made a CI4 in Half size

Have you tried the Shimano Stradic CI4 1000+ microline yet?

fisherman951
01-20-2015, 09:46 AM
That tiny lite reel will surprise you i have one for about 2 years now and it is still going. Unless you are fishing everyday maybe wont last that long. But i would fish with it probably once a month

carpanglerdude
01-20-2015, 02:15 PM
I use a Shimano Sienna. It's nice, but doesn't feel as sensitive as my prior reel...old micro lite Shakespeare

old pudd fisher
01-20-2015, 06:05 PM
I love my little Pflueger 4520GX have it loaded with 2lb test, it came with two spools and only cost about 35 bucks.

Brent
01-21-2015, 11:07 AM
I have couple of the Ultra lite Diawa Mini Spin reels but I keep going back to the Pflueger President, smooth as glass.

What he said!

fishmounter
01-21-2015, 06:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for your input. I've already got some very nice UL reels, including a Pflueger President and a surprisingly nice Bass Pro Shops reel, a Micro Lite "Elite" (see pic below) I just thought that there might be something smaller & better…
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/fishmounter/Bass%20Pro%20reel_zps12eyley7.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/fishmounter/media/Bass%20Pro%20reel_zps12eyley7.jpg.html)
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/fishmounter/Pflueger%20President%20and%20BG_zpsc9tnqmj9.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/fishmounter/media/Pflueger%20President%20and%20BG_zpsc9tnqmj9.jpg.ht ml)

Hoot951
01-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Yup I have 3 of them I love them..in fact all my CI4 1000 are microlines
I just wish they made a 500 size in the same reel

It gonna be awhile before I can afford one.

Tom
01-21-2015, 08:27 PM
It gonna be awhile before I can afford one.

know the feeling
I gave 4 of mine away and now i cant afford any new ones...LOL
we gonna have to try out the little 12ft boat i have and see if it leaks or sinks or...Floats

StumpFisher
01-21-2015, 08:59 PM
I love my president as well. For a couple ball bearings less and $20 less you can get the trion which is also very smooth. I can tell the difference between the two but barely. I out my trion on my telescoping ultralite rod and I'm ready for those just in case moments. Nothing better than the 20 series pfluegers in any model for my money.