PDA

View Full Version : Sand and Calico Bass Rod

Poseidon
01-17-2015, 10:20 PM
I got a 7' MH bass Rod with a line rating 10-25lb. I don't know if I'll be able to pull up sand bass, calico bass or barracuda on the cattle boats. It seems to flimsy be able to bounce a fish over or to stop a sand bass from running into the structure, but it has a strong back bone. Don't know if I should exchange it for a 7' or 7'6" heavy Rod with a line rating of 15-30lb. I need help choosing, don't want to get on the boat and having it break on me when I'm hooked up. Any suggestions?

bighuff
01-18-2015, 06:25 AM
I use a 7'7 mh compre flipping stick rated 12-20, bounces fish to 4-5 pounds and has plenty of stopping power. Yah the heavy might help put a couple more fish on the boat but the difference isn't going to be enough to worry about. I'd stick with what you got for a trip amd see how it goes first. Especially if your reel is loaded with braid. It's not like every fish is gonna be a 5lber, most bass on cattle boats are 12-16 inches with a few nicer grade fish thrown in. Now for when it is all calico fishing and a good cast is needed, I'd jump up to a 8ft inshore rod. Hahah no rod will break on you from a fish unless you bounce one too big but that's why the gaff is for

Poseidon
01-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Thanks bighuff, but it seems line compared to rods I see people using on YouTube and or on this site. It's my first time using a bass Rod so I may be underestimating it, I'll post a picture of it and let me know what u think

bighuff
01-18-2015, 01:08 PM
You probably see people with heavier rods cause they are throwing baits that weigh 1-3 ounces. Is it for swimbaits or flyline, leadhead/squid?

Poseidon
01-18-2015, 01:17 PM
I want to use it for flylining for barracudas and squid/leadhead

bighuff
01-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Last time I actually fished cuda this year was that same rod with a 15lb mono leader to flyline anchovies

Poseidon
01-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Nice! Ill give this rod a shot

Marley
01-19-2015, 02:39 PM
I fish either an 800xl with 12-lb. or 270-8H with 20 for sandies and slimers. Fun stuff. The 800xl is all rollers so it does better with the lighter line. Both can bounce bigger fish no problem, not sure if you really want to bounce a lot if the boat's full.

Poseidon
01-19-2015, 02:50 PM
Those rods are out of my budget, or else they seem to be really sweet rods

bighuff
01-19-2015, 03:04 PM
If you do decide you want somethin beefier actually sold for the salt, go to turners and look at the graftechs or California calico specials. Gear isn't what catches fish it's the angler, if you are confident your gear is more than enough. If not, step it up because the first fish you lose if even for angler error hahahaha, you will just think why didnt I step up. Fish it once and let me know, I might have something for you if you feel undergunned. I just believe you are fine and will have a lot more fun with your set up now

Poseidon
01-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Will do huff! thanks for the advice, Ill definitely go check those rods out. Thanks again!

bighuff
01-19-2015, 03:49 PM
No problem go kill some fish

Poseidon
01-19-2015, 04:40 PM
No problem go kill some fish

Thats what im waiting to do hahaha, any suggestion on good rods for sandies and calicos for about or under $100? I got a Abu Garcia Silvermax reel.

LbcLakers
01-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Seems like you need another setup, if you are looking to fly line bait you're ok with the rod you have now. Gaff will take care of bouncing bigger fish. As far as fighting sand/calico bass from structure and kelp you'll have an easier time with the heavy rod. Depends on what you're planning on doing more fly lining bait or bass fishing. If its just for this trip I would use what you have. Depending on when you need it by you can check out bloody decks or craigslist for a shimano teramar, shimano crucial, or a abu garcia volatile (bass rods) you might be able to find it for under $100

Poseidon
01-19-2015, 05:24 PM
It's mainly going to used for fishing with leadhead and squid, and sometimes flyling for cudas

noleash
01-20-2015, 07:54 AM
Under a 100 dollars....Shimano compre 7-9 or 7-11 flipping stix. Its lightweight and plenty of backbone! Was recently doing repetitive weightlifting on sandbass out of 90 feet of water using a shimano clarus 7-6 crankbait rod I believe rated 10-20 # line medium fast tip and loved the rod sooo much for 1/2 -1 oz leadheads that I left it on top of my car and drove off! OOPs couldn't find another one off the rack so I bought a phoenx rod but havent used it yet on the sandies! P.S they are really biting RIGHT now so get on it!:Cool:

noleash
01-24-2015, 07:07 AM
Under a 100 dollars....Shimano compre 7-9 or 7-11 flipping stix. Its lightweight and plenty of backbone! Was recently doing repetitive weightlifting on sandbass out of 90 feet of water using a shimano clarus 7-6 crankbait rod I believe rated 10-20 # line medium fast tip and loved the rod sooo much for 1/2 -1 oz leadheads that I left it on top of my car and drove off! OOPs couldn't find another one off the rack so I bought a phoenx rod but havent used it yet on the sandies! P.S they are really biting RIGHT now so get on it!:Cool:

Phoenx Rod snapped in HALF traded it out for a crucial rod! Do yourself a favor >because life is short< and save up for and buy the blank your looking for and either tie it yourself, or have an expert tie it for you!:Cool: