PDA

View Full Version : Brown trout

Dsrt Tortise
01-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but is it legal to catch and keep BROWN TROUT at DVL. I was always under the impression that they were a catch and release fish at the lake. I ask this only because on the cover of WON this week is a photo of a angler holding a nice pair of browns. Further more in the paper there is a article that reads that the person in the photo and his friend caught over 40 browns and kept a limit of these trout. I'm not putting these guy's down I just want to know if it's LEGAL to keep these fish??

Thanks

DSRT TORTISE :Fishing Catch::Fishing Catch:

seal
01-16-2015, 01:05 PM
No C&R rule on brown's at DVL, 5 fish limit.

Cadillyak
01-16-2015, 01:50 PM
^x2. Browns can be kept at DVL.

DarkShadow
01-16-2015, 01:50 PM
No C&R rule on brown's at DVL, 5 fish limit.

If DVL is trying to establish a sustainable fishery for Browns, why would they have a limit?

Kwin?

seal
01-16-2015, 02:12 PM
If DVL is trying to establish a sustainable fishery for Browns, why would they have a limit?

Kwin?

Either the anglers get them first or the stripers and largemouth will. Lack of creek inlets hurts DVL when it comes to places for the trout to hide, they may say there is enough structure but natural inlets to me are a better source for creating a good holdover trout population when predators are present.

DEVOREFLYER
01-16-2015, 02:19 PM
Having fished DVL this year with the low water level and the gin clear water my eyes have been opened and opened wide. Looking at areas above the current water line that were below water a year ago not a lot of habitat and structure to hide in. Looking down into the water it is mostly a barren wasteland with very little structure. I also would have expected to see more man made structure than you see. Not a lot of places for fry or any fish for that matter to seek refuge from predators.

DarkShadow
01-16-2015, 02:25 PM
they may say there is enough structure but natural inlets to me are a better source for creating a good holdover trout population when predators are present.

I also would have expected to see more man made structure than you see. Not a lot of places for fry or any fish for that matter to seek refuge from predators.

And yet, candy bar browns keep getting stocked?

If this was the case, why are DFG biologists still thumbs upping the stock of browns in an area where the water level will affect predation rates?

Dsrt Tortise
01-16-2015, 05:59 PM
Having fished DVL this year with the low water level and the gin clear water my eyes have been opened and opened wide. Looking at areas above the current water line that were below water a year ago not a lot of habitat and structure to hide in. Looking down into the water it is mostly a barren wasteland with very little structure. I also would have expected to see more man made structure than you see. Not a lot of places for fry or any fish for that matter to seek refuge from predators.

I watched DVL being built from the start. Having driven several hundred truck loads of earth out of it and dumped it . This was one of the largest jobs of its kind that I have ever worked on before my retirement.
Seeing the lake from its start with a tiny brood pond in the deep west end of the impoundment there were hundreds of fish structure sites all over the lake. On the sides and all over the bottom,the whole lake was designed as a fish magnet by Mike Guisti. This is the only lake in the southland made just for fishing and not for other types of water sports in mind. It was hard enough to get the MWD to allow it open for public fishing use to begin with!!! I am not a biologist and know little about if Brown Trout can breed and reproduce successfully in this lake but they do in many lakes around the Country and the World. I think that given a chance say seven years they should be a C&R fish in the lake. Is everybody so fish hungry to give them a chance in the lake?

Dsrt Tortise :???::???:

HuskerRod
01-19-2015, 06:27 PM
I see a lot of that habitat guisti established in the way of limbs wired to cynder blocks or concrete tubes. However, most of this habitat is high and dry now.

The most fun i ever had at dvl when the water was raised and flooded all the built up weed growth. I was pitching and cranking a wacky rigged senko with an ear to ear grin on my face....the good old days.

HuskerRod
01-19-2015, 06:37 PM
And yet, candy bar browns keep getting stocked?

If this was the case, why are DFG biologists still thumbs upping the stock of browns in an area where the water level will affect predation rates?
I thought maybe the browns they were stocking were bigger. I thought i had read that somewhere. None the less, with no wheres to hide any self respecting striper will give eating them a shot.

HawgZWylde
01-22-2015, 08:53 AM
I watched DVL being built from the start. Having driven several hundred truck loads of earth out of it and dumped it . This was one of the largest jobs of its kind that I have ever worked on before my retirement.
Seeing the lake from its start with a tiny brood pond in the deep west end of the impoundment there were hundreds of fish structure sites all over the lake. On the sides and all over the bottom,the whole lake was designed as a fish magnet by Mike Guisti. This is the only lake in the southland made just for fishing and not for other types of water sports in mind. It was hard enough to get the MWD to allow it open for public fishing use to begin with!!! I am not a biologist and know little about if Brown Trout can breed and reproduce successfully in this lake but they do in many lakes around the Country and the World. I think that given a chance say seven years they should be a C&R fish in the lake. Is everybody so fish hungry to give them a chance in the lake?

Dsrt Tortise :???::???:

Lake stratification and predation by Striper do most of the damage. Yes there is lot's of rock structure and some man made structure but that means nothing when there is no oxygen below the thermocline in the summer...

kwin
01-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Lake stratification and predation by Striper do most of the damage. Yes there is lot's of rock structure and some man made structure but that means nothing when there is no oxygen below the thermocline in the summer...

yahtzee!!!!

DarkShadow
01-30-2015, 01:33 PM
yahtzee!!!!

So then why the stocks if the "lake conditions" don't merit them?

kwin
01-30-2015, 04:47 PM
put and take like every other lake in SoCal.

etucker1959
01-30-2015, 05:25 PM
put and take like every other lake in SoCal.
Has there every been any kind of study of the percentage of take vs stocked. If so how does that compare to other body's of water?

DarkShadow
01-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Do people know what location of the lake they stock the browns?

How big are they?

Has anybody here on FNN caught any?

HawgZWylde
01-31-2015, 07:26 AM
Do people know what location of the lake they stock the browns?

How big are they?

Has anybody here on FNN caught any?

Yes, there are several places they are stocked around the lake but it's up to Kwin which place gets stocked on a certain day. I haven't caught any but I don't target them, but I have watched guys catch them wishing I had brought my Trout gear because Bass fishing was such a grind those days. Now all I need is a Brownie swim-bait...

HawgZWylde
01-31-2015, 07:27 AM
yahtzee!!!!

Lol, oh geez I haven't played that game in years...

kwin
02-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Has there every been any kind of study of the percentage of take vs stocked. If so how does that compare to other body's of water?

2014--4500 anglers surveyed, 120 targeted trout...ALL trout. 13 browns reported kept, none reported released.
2013--5177 " ", 210 " ". 7 kept, 3 released.
2012--7241 " ", 405 " ", 66 caught (don't distinguish between caught and released)

I can only go by what people say in the creel interviews, though I know some of it is probably BS. Either people are untruthful about what they are trying to catch, or they don't target trout.

Stormcrow
02-02-2015, 06:59 PM
I remember the old days when I saw wolf packs of LMB pinning up a small school of browns near the back dirt launch ramp area. They didn't look very big if I remember. Maybe 12-14 inches

DarkShadow
02-03-2015, 10:46 AM
2014--4500 anglers surveyed, 120 targeted trout...ALL trout. 13 browns reported kept, none reported released.
2013--5177 " ", 210 " ". 7 kept, 3 released.
2012--7241 " ", 405 " ", 66 caught (don't distinguish between caught and released)

I can only go by what people say in the creel interviews, though I know some of it is probably BS. Either people are untruthful about what they are trying to catch, or they don't target trout.

Kwin,

How many pounds of Browns were stocked from 2012 to 2014?

kwin
02-03-2015, 02:03 PM
many more than what were reported caught.

Also I didn't include the "anything" angler count for those targeting more than one species which may or may not include trout. Those were 1340-2012, 1257-2013 and 1206-2014.

JigStop
03-23-2015, 12:35 PM
Having lived in TEXAS, the state with the finest man made reserviors, I was shocked that DVL didn't sink some orange tree roots or other types of cover. The pathetic little pipes for catfish and some snags are about all you find there. Acouple of large x-mas tree stake beds would have made the crappie bite MUCH better.