PDA

View Full Version : fish finder is now mounted!! (pix)

matt duarte
10-08-2007, 09:39 AM
well here it is i figured out how to mount the FF and the transducer.. what ya guys think

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/step1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/step2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/step3.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/step4.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/step5.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/step6.jpg

Z-TUNAKILLER
10-08-2007, 09:58 AM
HEY NOW, matt this looks good, but i think i would mount it little higher off the frame, maybe use a RAM mount, you can bolt it to your standing platform ?

Z

FISH ON !

tacklejunkie
10-08-2007, 10:02 AM
All you lucky dawgs with your fish finders! :lol:

I still can't find a way to mount my freakin rod holder without it being in the way of the trolling motor I don't even have yet :roll:

matt duarte
10-08-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm having the same problm TJ :lol:
I want everything to be in hands reach and easy, and out of the way of the oars and rods...

I was thinking of making a horizontal rod holder that way their laying down behind me and I'd still be able to use the motor but the pole would be sticking out the side a little bit....

thanks for the pic tunakiller I'm at work right now messing with some aluminum and plastic to make some sort of a fish finder holder....might try and make it retractable....

Z-TUNAKILLER
10-08-2007, 10:27 AM
HEY, just use a toolbox, like i did, place for batt., tackle, gear, etc. and a place to mount a rod holder ?

i'd go a little smaller on the box, i one i used was a freebie.

Z

FISH ON !

tacklejunkie
10-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Z, I would do something like that, but then I can't fit it all in the car :wink:

Matt,
is this the one you bought?
http://www.eaglesonar.com/Products/Sonar/Cuda168.htm
Let me know how it works out for you! Looks like a good deal and has good ratings.

matt duarte
10-08-2007, 11:32 AM
yep! that's the one! it is a good finder for the price... it has everything you need... temp, depth, speed, it shows structure everything!

on bass pro web site all the reviews were 5 star so I think ill be happy with it but ya ill let you know how I like it..

I'm going to hobby people today to look at the batt. today

tacklejunkie
10-08-2007, 11:46 AM
It looks like this is the battery powered version..
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... id=PP_P2_1 (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_75236?cmCat=CROSSSELL&cmid=PP_P2_1)
Looks like it would sit right in the pontoon pocket.

matt duarte
10-08-2007, 12:09 PM
no its not the one that holds the 8 batt. its the one that needs a small 10 to 17volt ones i would of got one like that but i dont want to have to buy new batts every so often ya know.... on this one all i have to do is plug it in the night before....

Socal Bassman
10-08-2007, 12:50 PM
The portable version should fit in the pontoon pocket, but you'll be sacrificing that space. Something I can't afford to lose on a tube. A 12V sealed lead acid battery should last you a few days before it needs a recharge for your finder. The one I picked up at Interstate batteries came somewhat charged already, reading 12.2V when I got on the water at 8:30a.m. It was reading only 11.7V by the time I got off the water at 5p.m.

As to where to mount it? The easiest way is to say just get a RAM mount with a U bolt and clamp it down on the bar I circled in red in the pic below.
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/816-a-lr.jpg

Either that, or you can make one out of PVC. I'm thinking one with an 8-9" long piece of tube with a T connector on one end and a X connector on the other, sitting on top of one of the pontoons. Strap the T connector against that horizontal bar in front of the oarlock with a couple zip ties. Then run a strap or rope through the X connector and secure it around one of the pontoons. Then you can mount the finder on top of the X connector. Just a thought.

Ronira
10-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey guys, I don't think you want to u-bolt anything between the frame and the pontoon. Clamp on to the Oar post riser but don't make an abrasion point at the pontoon. As the frame moves on the pontoon you might wear a hole.

matt duarte
10-08-2007, 10:44 PM
do you have a picture on how yours is mounted ron? I was just planning on taking off one of the foot rest and put a pvc elbow, go up about 4 inches, another elbow with a extension bringing it closer to me and cap it off with a ''T'' fitting so I can mount the finder on top and run a pipe from he bottom of the ''T'' fitting straight down to the water and attach the transducer..

that way it will be out of the way of the oars when rowing... also I was thinking of letting it be able to swivel so when I stand up I can turn it so I can see it

Ronira
10-09-2007, 04:28 AM
Mine is a different animal all together Matt. I have a piece of wood attached to the front of my standing deck and my FF is mounted on that right in the center. Here's a pic that you can see the piece of wood and my fishing budd 2202 clamped on.

matt duarte
10-09-2007, 07:18 AM
o right on dude, I don't remember seeing it like that last time I saw you? is it hard to bring the fish on the boat?..

I'm getting the pvc today at lunch so ill should have some pictures up on the build process

Ronira
10-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Landing fish is no problem Matt, It isn't as bad as that photo makes it look. You gota remember you can stand up and lean to the front or to either side and lip a fish. My boats pretty stable when you stand up.

matt duarte
10-09-2007, 10:02 PM
what you guys think about the new fish finder and mount i made?? (pix at the top of the first page)

Socal Bassman
10-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Looking good, Matt. You fishing Perris this saturday?

matt duarte
10-09-2007, 11:20 PM
ya ill be out their for sure! gotta test drive the new finder! I still have to go to hobby people to get a rechargeable battery. and I just have to add the down tube on that ''T'' fitting under the seat mounted to the fish finder mount for the transducer..

do you have a 12v battery? is it better to get a higher voltage? the finder says 10 to 17 volts I think

also the platform the finder sits on swivels 360* so when I stand up on my standing deck I can turn it so I can see while standing and sitting

rcfb73
10-09-2007, 11:29 PM
lookin good matt...

quick question...how are you wiring the hobby battery to the fish finder? does it require splicing and such?
pretty intrested in adding a fishfinder to my nav II

matt duarte
10-09-2007, 11:36 PM
well they sell ones that you and just use 8 AA batterys but mine calls for 10 to17 volts so I can just get a small rechargeable 12volt battery for rc cars and such..

tacklejunkie
10-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Matt,
I'll trade you the 12V 7A/H battery if you show me where the deeper fish are saturday :twisted:
I have the battery with the charger right here that I'm not using. Want to get out there and try some new cranks :)

Socal Bassman
10-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Yeah, I'm using a 12V sla battery. The thing to look for is the amount of amp hours the battery has. Obviously, the more amp hours the better, but yours should last a few days with a 7Ah battery before it needs to be charged. Which reminds me, I need to pick up a battery charger also.

Ronira
10-10-2007, 04:22 AM
That ought to work Matt. I like the big pvc, It looks sturdy. The location looks cool too. Hey TJ I've got an idea for your rod holder so it won't be in the way of your trolling motor that you don't have yet. I put mine on the side of my battery box and it works great.

matt duarte
10-10-2007, 07:38 AM
hey guys thanks.. this is one idea that ended up working pretty well... its out of my way but still in plane sight.. I made it close to the pockets so I don't have to run wire all over the toon.. all that I need to do is paint and add some glue here and their...

you know we will be on those fish TJ! well get them shallow and deep!...

so is it going to be 11 and 12 on saturday? ill be their!

maybe I can make the wheel assembly before satirday! I hope I can cause I always hate leaving the lake cause of the damn hill and blocked off ramp! last week I was just going to drive over the curb and pull down the ramp at 11 and 12 but when I got in my truck and started to drive towards the curb a ranger drove by so I didn't do it.... hopefully its easyer this weekend:)

tacklejunkie
10-10-2007, 09:54 AM
That ought to work Matt. I like the big pvc, It looks sturdy. The location looks cool too. Hey TJ I've got an idea for your rod holder so it won't be in the way of your trolling motor that you don't have yet. I put mine on the side of my battery box and it works great.
Oh yeah! I forgot how you had yours set up. That's a good idea. I go get a battery box and bolt/grommet it to my rear deck and slap the holder on the side. Thanks Ron! :lol:

PS..
the FF looks good Matt! Can't wait to get one myself. Business is slow lately so funds are to0 short to upgrade just yet..
Been barely feeding the tackle addiction lately :lol:

matt duarte
10-10-2007, 10:17 AM
yai need to make a new rod holder as well, I need to offset the rod to the left side of the toon... having the rod right behind me restricts my casting from the back of the toon...

ya I hear ya TJ I want to start buying some new cranks but I also want to get a new pole and reel lol all those damn perris bass broke all my UL pole handles! all the corks split or the rob tip broke!.... but the wife took my credit card! lol...

eldo69
10-10-2007, 07:53 PM
lol, u guys crack me up

rcfb73
10-11-2007, 12:42 AM
well they sell ones that you and just use 8 AA batterys but mine calls for 10 to17 volts so I can just get a small rechargeable 12volt battery for rc cars and such..

ive seen the portable ones that use the battery but they look way too bulky to strap onto my tube....i guess to further clarify my question...do you have to change the connectors on the FF and/or battery in order to connect it to them?

im going to BPS on friday to check out finders and reels...i should probably just look at the connectors while im there....

Socal Bassman
10-11-2007, 02:16 AM
ive seen the portable ones that use the battery but they look way too bulky to strap onto my tube....i guess to further clarify my question...do you have to change the connectors on the FF and/or battery in order to connect it to them?

im going to BPS on friday to check out finders and reels...i should probably just look at the connectors while im there....
If I'm not mistaken, the Cuda 168 as well as other Eagle and Lowrance units use the same transducer/power cable like mine. The ends of the power cable are open, meaning the ends are just bare wire. You just connect or crimp the appropriate terminal ends on them. All the 12V sla and gel cell batteries I've seen, you'll need a female quick disconnect terminal.

Oh, before I forget... You'll crimp a quick disconnect directly onto the negative lead (black wire). On the positive side (red wire), you first have to splice or solder the end of the lead onto one of the wires on the fuse holder. Then crimp a quick disconnect on the other wire.

matt duarte
10-11-2007, 11:08 AM
ok I'm goin to get my battery today... so all I need is any 12v 7amh/h gell battery? and connectors to connect the wires to the battery?

I have a question though... my transducer cable has the plug for the finder and has 2 exposed wires on the other end.. I'm assuming one of the wires go to the battery and the other one connects to the fuse and then to the battery.. am I right so far?

and the 2 exposed wires are they spose to be one black and one red? cause both of mine are red? does this mean their universal? and I shouldn't have to buy any extra wire right??

if theres anything else I'm forgetting please clue me in!!! thanks guys hopefully this thing puts me on the fish.... as long as I'm not messing with it to much to fish lol

Socal Bassman
10-11-2007, 11:33 AM
ok I'm goin to get my battery today... so all I need is any 12v 7amh/h gell battery? and connectors to connect the wires to the battery?

I have a question though... my transducer cable has the plug for the finder and has 2 exposed wires on the other end.. I'm assuming one of the wires go to the battery and the other one connects to the fuse and then to the battery.. am I right so far?

and the 2 exposed wires are they spose to be one black and one red? cause both of mine are red? does this mean their universal? and I shouldn't have to buy any extra wire right??

if theres anything else I'm forgetting please clue me in!!! thanks guys hopefully this thing puts me on the fish.... as long as I'm not messing with it to much to fish lol
You might also think about getting a 12V charger. They usually run $10-$12. I'd ask the people where you buy your battery from if the battery is charged already or not. Mine came charged from Interstate Batteries already, so I skipped buying a charger for it. I know, I'll have to buy one either today or tomorrow.

The two exposed wires are both red? Hmmm... Might want to read your manual to see if it's universal. I just checked mine to make sure and one is black and the other is red. No, you don't have to buy any extra wire unless your battery is placed too far away from the finder. I think the power cable is 1.5ft. long. If your finder will be mounted farther than this from the battery, then you'll need to splice 18 gauge wires to make it reach.

matt duarte
10-11-2007, 11:49 AM
sweet ya ill double check mine but I'm pretty sure their both red.... did yours com with a little fuse box? maybe the fuse connector has a black and red wire... like on the transducer cable has 2 red ones.. one red goes to the positive on the battery and the other red goes to the red wire on the fuse box and maybe the exit wire on the fuse is black and that will connect to the negtive???

did that make sence ( I'm only assuming the fuse holder has a red and black wire I think it does)

Socal Bassman
10-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Yeah, mine came with a little fuse box. Both wires out of the fuse box is red on mine. Also, I just checked Eagle's website and viewed the manual for your unit. According to the manual, it sounds like you should have one black and one red wire for the power cable, then you connect the fuse box to the red wire.

matt duarte
10-11-2007, 12:24 PM
ya i just went and looked at it to, it does show a black wire maybe i just wasnt payin attention..... but at least it said if the cable get hooked up wrong to the battery it wont mess up the finder... that a plus last time i was hooking up some lights i wanted to test out the on/off switch i hooked up and it shocked the hell out of me :lol: and fried the wire to my finger tip!

i wear rubber gloves now :lol:

Socal Bassman
10-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Cool, can't wait to see how your setup turned out this weekend. I'm contemplating what area I should hit though. I just might launch from Sail Cove since I could set up right there by the water and I don't have to carry the tube to and from the lake to the parking lot.

matt duarte
10-11-2007, 12:52 PM
ya i know what you mean when it comes to carring stuff to and from the water to the truck... sail cove would be easyier but theres only so much you can fish over there... ill most likely hit 11 and 12, work my way around the cove and head out towards the islands... i know this area fairly well and i want to see whats under the water over their maybe try some deep water bassing in the middle of the cover... i think im going to go pick up a kastmaster lure so i can jig it virtical hoping for a fish to bite

Z-TUNAKILLER
10-11-2007, 01:30 PM
hey now, matt looks real GOOD........ i received my FF yesterday, have to get a ram mount and then figure out whats next, i may turn my transom mount dual beam trans. in for a trolling mount quad beam trans., its only $17.00 more ?

Z

FISH ON !

matt duarte
10-11-2007, 01:58 PM
thanks bro!

what that your talkin about?? having 2 transducers? one by the ff and one mounted under the trolling motor??

Z-TUNAKILLER
10-11-2007, 02:19 PM
no, humminbird has a trans. swap deal, my FF came with a boat transom mount, i can trade it for a trolling mount.

matt duarte
10-11-2007, 02:25 PM
ooohhhhh iiii seee right on ya that would be sweet!

bassguy
10-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Hey Matt,

The toon looks good. I like the over sized PVC, nice and sturdy. The first trip out with it, you pay more attention to the FF than fishing, just ask SoCal. It will better your odds of finding fish, or frustate the hell out of you, when you can see them but cannot catch them. You, TJ, and Tunakiller have setup your toons with practicality in mind, great jod dude.

bassguy

Z-TUNAKILLER
10-11-2007, 08:41 PM
HEY NOW... bassguy.... nah.........we are just trying to keep up with Ron............ :P :rofl:

Z

FISH ON !

matt duarte
10-12-2007, 01:55 PM
well heres the to-do list for this saturday!

i still have to go buy a battery for the fish finder!!! ive been laggin on that,,( oh and socal your right i wasnt paying attention the wires are black and red and the wires on the fuse box are both red)

i have to go to bass pro ...well i dont have to i WANT to.... i have to pick up some cranks all this talkin about it makes me want to stock up and catch a crank fish... i have my eye on a manns baby 1-minus crank.... and a few others :secret:

than i have to go home and run the wires to the battery and mount the transducer... and of corse play with it a little.... ill throw the toon in the pool and have my wife swim under me or something so see if it read :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

than i have to make sure my overkill tank of a standing platform still fits after the FF upgrade... i was going to take the standing deck to work today to trim off some alum so it fits better ( bottom edges catch the D-rins and it kinda wobbles) not a big deal only have to take off about a inch or so... i have to re-spool my cardiff200 with some 8# test for my new cranks... it just sux cause the pole the cardiff is on is a pos UL pole, plus a good 6 or more inches got broken off from the damn garage door so now instead of a 6'6'' rod i have a little less than 6' rod... other than that im READY!!! lol i hope im not up till 12 workin on this thing it make waking up a 6 a lil bit hard :lol: good thing my son works good as a alarm clock! i get a garenteed cry and winer at 6 630 :lol: :lol:

tacklejunkie
10-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Matt,
Do you still need a battery?
I can charge mine up tonight and bring it tomorrow man! Let me know!

Throw the cranks on your new low profile caster combo rod!

matt duarte
10-12-2007, 08:01 PM
I ended up buying one thanks for the offer though dude!

ya I should throw the cranks on the new rod... ill try it out.. use the other one for robos..