PDA

View Full Version : If only guns could talk...

pcuser
01-15-2015, 01:21 PM
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/post/132-year-old-winchester-found-national-park/

Really cool...

PokerFish
01-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Pretty cool

John Harper
01-15-2015, 02:21 PM
I've got an 1876 Winchester (.45-60) made in 1881. Custom ordered from Winchester with a 2" shorter, heavy profile barrel, and set trigger. I always figured it was ordered by a buffalo hunter at the end of the era, hence the shorter barrel for easy horseback use and heavy barrel for longer range accuracy.

John

DEVOREFLYER
01-15-2015, 02:28 PM
I've got an 1876 Winchester (.45-60) made in 1881. Custom ordered from Winchester with a 2" shorter, heavy profile barrel, and set trigger. I always figured it was ordered by a buffalo hunter at the end of the era, hence the shorter barrel for easy horseback use and heavy barrel for longer range accuracy.

John

Might also have been a saddle gun for Bear country.

Tom
01-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Amazing it was never found before this. Almost seems like some left it there on purpose

Ok back to Barrett jackson

John Harper
01-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Might also have been a saddle gun for Bear country.

Another possible history for it, had not thought about that, but quite likely. I always thought 1881 was pretty near, or at the very end, of buffalo hunters and buffalo, so bear protection seems plausible for sure.

My dad always believed he probably left his .222 Remington against a fence post many years ago, crossed the fence, and forgot to retrieve it on the way back to the car. We did not realize it until we got home and I only had my rifle to clean. Went back to the spot, but never found it.

John

DEVOREFLYER
01-15-2015, 03:46 PM
John it would be nice to know where your Winchester was shipped by the factory, by your description my guess was the West and thus the Bear country thought. They grow bigger Bears in the West...lol

If it was mine it would be a safe queen...

John Harper
01-15-2015, 04:19 PM
If it was mine it would be a safe queen...

I originally made the brass (only one box of 20) for it from .45-70 (shortened and milled the rim) back in the 1970's in high school (metal shop project, no way the high school I work at would let that fly today!). Shot it a few times back then, and she's been in the safe since. Probably just going to my nephew someday. Same with a few other antiques in there. Too bad they're too rare to really enjoy today. That blackpowder makes a hell of a show, but a nightmare corrosion-wise on the guns.

BTW, the guy that I bought it from said his dad found it inside an old cabin. So, who knows. Interesting gun for only $75 back in 1974, worth a lot more now I'm sure.

Thanks,

John

DEVOREFLYER
01-15-2015, 04:22 PM
Black powder at night is orgasmic. I have a couple of smokeless hand load rocket rounds that are impressive also.

pcuser
01-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Black powder at night is orgasmic. I have a couple of smokeless hand load rocket rounds that are impressive also.

You know, a little shine, a nice night, some black powder. Just sit back and enjoy the cigars...

DEVOREFLYER
01-15-2015, 05:21 PM
You know, a little shine, a nice night, some black powder. Just sit back and enjoy the cigars...

Ya left out the Bible verse azzhat.........

Nipple Twister
01-15-2015, 05:22 PM
you know, a little shine, a nice night, some black powder. Just sit back and enjoy the cigars...

amen to that brothas!.......

pcuser
01-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Ya left out the Bible verse azzhat.........

What???? I was suggesting a fun (for some at least) night. Haven't you ever shot guns followed by drinking around a campfire?

DEVOREFLYER
01-15-2015, 06:23 PM
What???? I was suggesting a fun (for some at least) night. Haven't you ever shot guns followed by drinking around a campfire?

More often than you know........

pcuser
01-15-2015, 07:25 PM
More often than you know........

So, you're just being an *******???

HawgZWylde
01-15-2015, 07:40 PM
If my gun could talk it would only say two words, "f*** y**", because guns aren't made to be nice. They're made to either make dinner or make others be nice or die...

Stinkbait
01-15-2015, 07:57 PM
What's is more interesting is pontificating on what happened to the owner? The gun was all nice a set against a tree. Loosing or leaving your rifle back then would mean life or death or several days income.

Did he get taken out by a bear or a mountain lion?
Are his bones 10 feet away with an arrowhead stuck in his spine.
Does he have 45 long colt slug in his hip bone from getting bushwhacked by banditos?
Was he just a drunk putting down a 5th whiskey and forgot it?
Was he gambling and hid the rifle in order not to have to give it up as payment?

DEVOREFLYER
01-15-2015, 08:09 PM
What's is more interesting is pontificating on what happened to the owner? The gun was all nice a set against a tree. Loosing or leaving your rifle back then would mean life or death or several days income.

Did he get taken out by a bear or a mountain lion?
Are his bones 10 feet away with an arrowhead stuck in his spine.
Does he have 45 long colt slug in his hip bone from getting bushwhacked by banditos?
Was he just a drunk putting down a 5th whiskey and forgot it?
Was he gambling and hid the rifle in order not to have to give it up as payment?

If only that gun could talk the stories it could tell......

pcuser
01-15-2015, 08:14 PM
If my gun could talk it would only say two words, "f*** y**", because guns aren't made to be nice. They're made to either make dinner or make others be nice or die...

Back at cha...

HawgZWylde
01-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Back at cha...

That was a generality dude, not aimed at you personally...

DEVOREFLYER
01-15-2015, 08:35 PM
Papa John's Pizza is standing by a pizza delivery woman who opened fire Sunday on an armed robber in an act of self defense.

The pizza franchise told FoxNews.com Thursday the employee, who hasn't been named, will not be fired from the company.

The employee was making a delivery in Decatur, Ga., Sunday night when a man approached her vehicle, forcing her onto the ground at gunpoint, according to the DeKalb County Police Department. The woman, who had a gun in her pocket, was able to fire at the man while on the ground -- striking the alleged assailant, identified as 24-year-old Donquaz St evenson, in the face.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/15...-self-defense/

And to celebrate the event Papa John’s has a special pizza menu. lol

http://i.imgur.com/71RljM2.jpg

etucker1959
01-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Where does target or trap shooting come in then??????

DockRat
01-15-2015, 09:36 PM
Check this gun out. Loaded gun found inside a tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qccak2Ve0-o

hookdfisherman
01-16-2015, 12:24 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/01/16/doj-accused-blocking-legal-gun-shops-other-businesses-from-banking/

HawgZWylde
01-16-2015, 06:38 AM
Where does target or trap shooting come in then??????

Are those two things not just practicing for the real deal?

pcuser
01-16-2015, 07:09 AM
That was a generality dude, not aimed at you personally...

Oh sorry, by bad...

etucker1959
01-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Are those two things not just practicing for the real deal?
Not at all, especially trap shooting. I have friends who are members of several trap and skeet clubs. People shoot every week, mostly for the fun of it and would never even think about shooting a real bird!!!!!

DEVOREFLYER
01-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Having shot many rounds of trap and skeet there is no machine throwing clay birds that come close to the moves a Dove can make 3 or 4 days after Dove season opens.