PDA

View Full Version : Striper Report and Swimbait Question

basstard2013
01-14-2015, 11:05 PM
Last year my buddy and I spent the whole year targeting Striper using rat-l-traps and had a great time catching schoolies. Out of the last 4 trips in December and January we were only able to catch one striper using that lure. We've had our fill of the schoolies and being a new year we want to target the big girls. My question to you is what swimbaits have you found consistent success with in all seasons at Silverwood? Is there one recommendation that seems to work year round or do you change between swimbait brands depending on the season. Also, what rod and reel combo would you recommend? Initially, I'd like to get a rod, reel, and a few baits and keep the cost between $200 - $300. As we move into different seasons i will be able to afford different baits as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

DEVOREFLYER
01-15-2015, 04:34 AM
Shore or boat???

seal
01-15-2015, 05:34 AM
You've opened a can of worms so to speak. Because you are combining lipless crankbaits and swimbaits in the same request for baits and you are concerned about having trouble catching them in the winter months Devore's question is really important as is what type of "swimbaits" you are asking about. The months of January thru about early March are challenging for school size stripers from shore, or for that matter most years even bigger stripers, because they go deeper following the bait and stable water temperature. The dedicated swimbait guy is best served tossing plastics like Huddleston type lures. Toss the bigger swimbaits around the trout plants when the fish will come up and be more active for a short period of time, also work your lures more slowly than warmer water months. Now if you are in a boat, kayak etc... then I'm sure Devore can fill you in on a deeper water presentation or I'd suggest a vertical jigging technique that works pretty well once you locate them. The lipless cranks are excellent lures but once again the challenge is they don't run at the depth you need to target the stripers. They will bite year around for sure but if you are running your bait at 10-15 ft. of depth and the fish are at 30+ that's not gonna get it done.

Lot's of suggestions can be made for warmer water lures but you've opened up that can of worms by mentioning the winter months. I know plenty of guys that shut it down for a month or 2 in the winter but also those that toss a scrounger fluke combo year around (this is a rig that every schoolie striper fisherman should have in their arsenal).

So much to say, bait size also is important meaning smaller presentations in spring, bait is smaller in the spring match the hatch so to speak.

DEVOREFLYER
01-15-2015, 07:00 AM
If you going to be throwin' big swimbaits (3 to 10oz.) from shore or a boat the cheapest combo is gonna be $200 and goes up to over $1000 for top line.
Okuma Guide Select Series Big Bait Rod $135.00
Diawa Millionaire-S Reel $65.00

If your gonna be trolling big swimbaits from a boat you can use the above combo with leadcore to get you down or use a line counter combo like this.
Cabella Depthmaster III $80.00

The sink rate of the swimbait and retrieve or troll speed and line distance is a learning curve to find the right combo.

Be prepared to get snagged a lot at Silverwood and lose gear if you don't have a lure retriever or 80 lb braid to try and bend a hook to release the bait.

basstard2013
01-15-2015, 01:59 PM
I will mainly be fishing from shore but will occasionally take my float tube out. I'm thinking about tossing a 2oz - 5oz swimbait in a trout pattern. I was considering the Diawa Millionaire-S Reel.

seal
01-15-2015, 02:13 PM
There are plenty of baits that will fit the weight rating but throwing an 8" Huddleston ROF 12 and even a 5 will be on the high end of that rating. Some rods ratings are not as accurate as others, many can't handle what they list as the max weight although some can handle more. If Devore says the Millionaire can handle it then I'd trust his advice.

DEVOREFLYER
01-15-2015, 02:25 PM
You put a $200-$300 limit on gear and baits and what I suggested will fit that budget and you will be pleased. You can upgrade to a higher priced rig if you find slinging swimbaits to your liking, the sky is the limit as you well know.

gogreeenz4
01-15-2015, 02:34 PM
okuma evx musky rod
lexa 300-400 reel or Cardiff 300-400
hudd, savage gear glide swimmer, trap bass rat and mouse

DEVOREFLYER
01-15-2015, 02:45 PM
okuma evx musky rod
lexa 300-400 reel or Cardiff 300-400
hudd, savage gear glide swimmer, trap bass rat and mouse

Very good choices but blows up his budget.

seal
01-15-2015, 02:46 PM
I have an EVX that I bought to toss the Matt's twitch it but use it for many other baits now as a second rod, good and durable rod.

seal
01-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Very good choices but blows up his budget.

EVX is within his range for sure, reels also about there.

DEVOREFLYER
01-15-2015, 02:49 PM
It's the reels that blow it up for sure. I like the handle grip on my suggestion better, some may like the EVX.

Fishbones
01-15-2015, 03:17 PM
Check out tackle industries. They make some great swimbait rods and a great price.

seal
01-15-2015, 03:18 PM
It's the reels that blow it up for sure. I like the handle grip on my suggestion better, some may like the EVX.

The EVX is a bit of a tank but I like the workout.

NevadaE
01-15-2015, 04:07 PM
Opening up a can of worms is correct. So many options. Be prepared to toss those baits a lot. They say that a big musky is a fish of 1000 casts; well so is a big striper.
Read up on some of the past posts and talk to the guys that are veterans of this type of fishing. Also start working out your casting arms. If you fish these baits correctly,especially
from shore, you will be a little sore the next day.

seal
01-16-2015, 10:21 AM
NevadaE posting on FNN? What the hell do you know, there's no fish in Mead!

By the way NevadaE has caught some of his biggest stripers on some of the cheaper swimbaits around, Storm Wild Eye's and LA sliders. These baits can be run on much lighter gear. Don't get caught up in all the hype (like I do), you don't have to spend big bucks to get a 20+ lbs. striper.

DEVOREFLYER
01-16-2015, 10:25 AM
By the way NevadaE has caught some of his biggest stripers on some of the cheaper swimbaits around, Storm Wild Eye's and LA sliders. These baits can be run on much lighter gear. Don't get caught up in all the hype (like I do), you don't have to spend big bucks to get a 20+ lbs. striper.

Pictures or it didn't happen....:Envious:

seal
01-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Pictures or it didn't happen....:Envious:

I'll have to leave that to him. My library of pics is constantly being erased, just not a big picture guy I take um them delete um a photographer I am not. The one in my avatar was from Mead but NevadaE has caught some that make it look like a minnow.

sealclubber
01-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Silverwood striper laugh at my swimbaits.

NevadaE
01-16-2015, 04:44 PM
That one you got was at least a DD. Here are a few pics.45577455784557945580
The two I'm holding are 22lbs and 16lbs.

DEVOREFLYER
01-16-2015, 05:25 PM
My no picture or it didn't happen post was in jest to Seal. If Seal said it happened you can take it to the bank that it happened, some here not so much. Very nice fish indeed and welcome to the jungle..:Envious:
With the ever changing water level at Mead every trip must be a new adventure and quite challenging.

basstard2013
01-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Those are some nice fish there NevadaE.

ela
01-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Don't get the Lexa. It SUCKed !!!!

youronecastshort
01-17-2015, 05:44 AM
increase the budget a little it will save you in the long run Diawa has a new swimbait rod out for 100 the reel is where you wanna spend a little more cheaper reels will go out throwing these big baits and will bird nest alot more easily which in long run can cost you a bait to the water gods and swimbaiting is not really for the penny pincher the lexa is OK I have one but the Luna is where it's at shimano also has a nice bait caster for around 199 the Calcutta I believe

ghettofishermans son
01-17-2015, 07:32 AM
If your looking for a cheaper good reel get a Shimano Cardiff . It's a great started reel. As for rods if your looking to save money I would recommend buying a used one on one of the numerous swimbait Facebook pages or even here from time to time. As far as swimbaits for the wood I've noticed that they will hit most swimbaits being thrown it's just about patience and casting till your arms fall off lol a good cheap swimbait I would recommend is a bbz floater . During these winter months just slow it down a bit and be patient . Good luck

NevadaE
01-18-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks a lot. It does get challenging at times but there are some areas that produce on a somewhat regular basis. I am hoping to explore other areas this spring and summer. They look promising.
My no picture or it didn't happen post was in jest to Seal. If Seal said it happened you can take it to the bank that it happened, some here not so much. Very nice fish indeed and welcome to the jungle..:Envious:
With the ever changing water level at Mead every trip must be a new adventure and quite challenging.

Fishbones
01-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Silverwood striper laugh at my swimbaits.

Lololololll....