PDA

View Full Version : More American Businesses Dying Than Starting

HawgZWylde
01-14-2015, 06:47 AM
Economic Death Spiral: More American Businesses Dying Than Starting

In a stunning Tuesday report, Gallup CEO and Chairman Jim Clifton revealed that “for the first time in 35 years, American business deaths now outnumber business births.”

Clifton says for the past six years since 2008, employer business startups have fallen below the business failure rate, spurring what he calls “an underground earthquake” that only stands to worsen as lagging U.S. Census data becomes available.

“Let’s get one thing clear: This economy is never truly coming back unless we reverse the birth and death trends of American businesses,” writes Clifton.

Indeed, the numbers are striking. Contrary to the oft-cited 26 million businesses in America figure, Clifton says 20 million of these so-called “businesses” are merely companies on paper with zero workers, profits, customers, or sales. In reality, America has just 6 million businesses with one or more employers–3.8 million of which have four or fewer employees. In total, these 6 million U.S. companies provide jobs for more than 100 million people in America.

Of the 2.2 million job-creating companies with five or more workers, the numbers break down accordingly:

There are about a million companies with five to nine employees, 600,000 businesses with 10 to 19 employees, and 500,000 companies with 20 to 99 employees. There are 90,000 businesses with 100 to 499 employees. And there are just 18,000 with 500 employees or more, and that figure includes about a thousand companies with 10,000 employees or more. Altogether, that is America, Inc.

The Gallup CEO says the numbers paint an ominous portrait of America in a dire state of decline.

“I don’t want to sound like a doomsayer, but when small and medium-sized businesses are dying faster than they’re being born, so is free enterprise,” says Clifton. “And when free enterprise dies, America dies with it.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/14/economic-death-spiral-more-american-businesses-dying-than-starting/

And how many of you believe the lie that our economy is doing fine?

DockRat
01-14-2015, 07:05 AM
The younger generation especially doesn't give a sheet.
Keep going to Walmart, lol minimum wage workers on gov aid, food stamps ect. :Finger:
USA is so Doomed.
DR

HawgZWylde
01-14-2015, 08:18 AM
The younger generation especially doesn't give a sheet.
Keep going to Walmart, lol minimum wage workers on gov aid, food stamps ect. :Finger:
USA is so Doomed.
DR

They're brainwashed into apathy and complacency DR. This is what our public schools and entertainment have created. Believe it or not, many are waking up because they are now trying to get out on their own and are finding it next to impossible...

etucker1959
01-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Economic Death Spiral: More American Businesses Dying Than Starting

In a stunning Tuesday report, Gallup CEO and Chairman Jim Clifton revealed that “for the first time in 35 years, American business deaths now outnumber business births.”

Clifton says for the past six years since 2008, employer business startups have fallen below the business failure rate, spurring what he calls “an underground earthquake” that only stands to worsen as lagging U.S. Census data becomes available.

“Let’s get one thing clear: This economy is never truly coming back unless we reverse the birth and death trends of American businesses,” writes Clifton.

Indeed, the numbers are striking. Contrary to the oft-cited 26 million businesses in America figure, Clifton says 20 million of these so-called “businesses” are merely companies on paper with zero workers, profits, customers, or sales. In reality, America has just 6 million businesses with one or more employers–3.8 million of which have four or fewer employees. In total, these 6 million U.S. companies provide jobs for more than 100 million people in America.

Of the 2.2 million job-creating companies with five or more workers, the numbers break down accordingly:

There are about a million companies with five to nine employees, 600,000 businesses with 10 to 19 employees, and 500,000 companies with 20 to 99 employees. There are 90,000 businesses with 100 to 499 employees. And there are just 18,000 with 500 employees or more, and that figure includes about a thousand companies with 10,000 employees or more. Altogether, that is America, Inc.

The Gallup CEO says the numbers paint an ominous portrait of America in a dire state of decline.

“I don’t want to sound like a doomsayer, but when small and medium-sized businesses are dying faster than they’re being born, so is free enterprise,” says Clifton. “And when free enterprise dies, America dies with it.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/14/economic-death-spiral-more-american-businesses-dying-than-starting/

And how many of you believe the lie that our economy is doing fine?
I don't think many people think the economy is the way it should be for it's long term health. The big question is what do you do about it?????

Lady Quagga
01-14-2015, 09:52 AM
I don't think many people think the economy is the way it should be for it's long term health. The big question is what do you do about it?????

You could open a hipster eatery. Or a pre-owned clothing boutique. Maybe a Pilates studio.

Even during economic booms, one out of every two businesses fail. But you ask a small business owner now what their biggest obstacle to continued success is? Ever-rising rent costs. No where is it more noticeable than in the area I live in (which happens to be in a state of gentrification - shocker). An established (and highly successful) restaurant I live near almost closed their doors at the start of the new year (after 40 years of service to the community) over increasing rent costs. And a strip mall close by that held 10 thriving businesses (including a grocery store, drugstore, and four other major chain operations) has slowly been forcing out the tenants to make way for an overpriced grocery store - the mall is currently at 50% capacity (with more to vacate as their leases expire), and showing the signs of urban blight. The businesses that left did not relocate - they're gone for good, and the jobs they provided with them. Ah, but the landlord will get a nice fat rent check once the rest have been forced out and the new store (which less people in the community will be able to afford) rolls in.

What's the biggest threat to American businesses, new and old? Unsustainable greed.

DarkShadow
01-14-2015, 10:32 AM
I'm confused, isn't laissez-faire a rallying cry for fiscal conservatives who believe the gub'ment should be hands off and letting the free market regulate itself?

Are you guys proposing government interference?

You could open a hipster eatery. Or a pre-owned clothing boutique. Maybe a Pilates studio.

My turn, my turn!

You could open a juice bar. Or a pet day care. Maybe a cross fit studio. Or a vape shop! Or a boutique that sells items to End-of-Day-Preppers who are seemingly preparing for the Barackalypse.

pcuser
01-14-2015, 10:40 AM
I'm confused, isn't laissez-faire a rallying cry for fiscal conservatives who believe the gub'ment should be hands off and letting the free market regulate itself?

My turn, my turn!

You could open a juice bar. Or a pet day care. Maybe a cross fit studio. Or a vape shop! Or a boutique that sells items to End-of-Day-Preppers who are seemingly preparing for the Barackalypse.

You could sell bongs...

Lady Quagga
01-14-2015, 10:47 AM

My turn, my turn!

Or a cupcake bakery! or a Peruvian-Vietnamese fusion restaurant! or a food truck specializing vegetarian burritos and organic aguas frescas!

HawgZWylde
01-16-2015, 06:36 AM

Even during economic booms, one out of every two businesses fail. But you ask a small business owner now what their biggest obstacle to continued success is? Ever-rising rent costs. No where is it more noticeable than in the area I live in (which happens to be in a state of gentrification - shocker). An established (and highly successful) restaurant I live near almost closed their doors at the start of the new year (after 40 years of service to the community) over increasing rent costs. And a strip mall close by that held 10 thriving businesses (including a grocery store, drugstore, and four other major chain operations) has slowly been forcing out the tenants to make way for an overpriced grocery store - the mall is currently at 50% capacity (with more to vacate as their leases expire), and showing the signs of urban blight. The businesses that left did not relocate - they're gone for good, and the jobs they provided with them. Ah, but the landlord will get a nice fat rent check once the rest have been forced out and the new store (which less people in the community will be able to afford) rolls in.

What's the biggest threat to American businesses, new and old? Unsustainable greed.

Greed on whose part? Why don't you list the real reasons for lease increases?

Lady Quagga
01-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Greed on whose part? Why don't you list the real reasons for lease increases?

Greater profit margins. Nothing more, nothing less.

Here is where we get to hear your spiel about how assessments and taxes are forcing landlords to increase their rents. Save your bullsh*t for the other idiots of your ilk.

In the first example I provided, the restaurant owner happily announced that they would no longer be closing, and would remain open indefinitely. The lease was renegotiated, and in the long term will benefit the restaurant owner more than the landlord - terms which the landlord never would have agreed to if they were "oh-so-strapped" for cash to cover their "oh-so-increasing" costs.

The second example had nothing to do with increasing building costs, either. The tenants didn't leave because they couldn't afford the rent - their leases were not extended so that the developer could make way for a trendy grocery store and revenue potential from the subsequent development. So yeah, you have a net loss in the number of businesses, but hey! A larger revenue stream! And now you eliminated most of the middle-men (i.e. those pesky business owners) in the process! Profit.

Yeah, go p*ss up a flagpole.