PDA

View Full Version : hows the fishing in long beach harbor? or any recommended harbors for winter fishing.

ONELIK
01-13-2015, 10:25 PM
hows the fishing in long beach harbor this time of yr? looking to go out to a harbor on my 21ft boat for the upcoming holiday just dont know whats biting or whats legal to catch this time of yr. i will be using bait if i go to any of the recommended harbors. let me know your thoughts for some winter harbor fishing since i'm not a big ocean fisherman. thanks

billystein
01-14-2015, 06:46 AM
hi one,
i have not fished the toilet in many years. the halibut at belmont shores have always been pretty good. usual mackies can go off anytime. the problem is not catching some fish. i would not eat any of these fish. that is saying something because i will eat almost anything. when the wind comes up in the afternoon you can smell the water. and it is pretty fowl. i have seen people take halibut near the bait barge with red sores on the white side. the white croaker and year round residents come with health warnings.
that being said, the bass at the wall is usually pretty awsome. even in the winter you should do well. i like to drift the outside of the wall and throw plastics about 20-40 ft from the wall. plenty of shorts and a few sculpin. maybe a few keepers.
i am going to start chasing white sea bass off the beach in oxnard. it shouldn't be too long.
good luck and tight lines bro

ONELIK
01-14-2015, 06:43 PM
billy, thanks for the reply. i'll make sure to stay away from the toilet bowl lol. when are you planning the sea bass chase?

billystein
01-15-2015, 06:24 AM
you should start seeing the boats pile up in front of the power plant in oxnard at 100 ft depth. 3 -4 miles out. there is a spot that holds squid. it is small and soon you will see one guy will be right on the spot and might anchor for days at a time. it gets crowded and crazy there but at times there are many ghosts to be had.
i am trying to get out sunday.